Strictures?????

Laurie O.
on 4/11/08 4:28 am
Hi all! My surgery was 1/21/08 and I'm going in on monday to get my 2nd stricture fixed. I am just so sick of throwing up!!! Is anyone else having this problem, I'm really, really second guessing my decision to have this surgery. I have lost 67lbs since the beginning of January (the only good news) but now for the last 3 weeks, I've been at a standstill! Is anyone else having problems with strictures???? Help!!!!! Laurie
Kathy W.
on 4/13/08 7:06 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
Girl I am right there with you and the same time. I started throwing up on Easter and I just thought I had ate too fast, too much and too rich foods. The rest of the week I hardly ate cause I wasn't feeling it. I had dry heaves when I brushed my teeth and then that Friday I had them ALL THE TIME!!! I couldn't even keep water down. I went to the ER on Saturday and had a CT scan. (The good news is that my insides look normal for post-op ). They let me go since I was able to drink water then and then I was back on Sunday since the heaves started again. I got admitted then. As soon as my dr found out on Monday he got it arranged for my to get scoped since he knew what was wrong as soon as he heard my symptoms. I am starting the dry heaves again when I brush my teeth and I already have an appt tommorw with my dr. I do have a question for you... did you have bad breath no matter what you did before the first scope? My dh said it smelled like the bad breath gnomes took a dump in my mouth. I am down 70 but everytime this acts up I have a stall. I understand what you mean tho. I am tired of not feeling good.
Laurie O.
on 4/14/08 9:59 pm
Oh thank you Kathy, I thought I was the only one! Yepper, Easter Sunday was my first land in the ER too and they did the same thing CT scan and rehydrated me and sent me on my way, well, monday morning I called the surgeon and they admitted me and did the scope thingy and I was feeling great for almost 2 weeks and then bam, it hit me again with the dry heaves and really throwing up after I would eat anthing. I was scoped and dialated again yesterday as an outpatient and stuff is going back down but my surgeon said it could even come back again, he said he's never had to dialate someone more than 3 times...I really hope it doesn't come down to that, I hope this is done!!! My breath was horrible, as per my son, I'm so worried about my teeth with all this throwing up I've done!!! I am down 70lbs also now as of yesterday, that's the only good thing!!! Hang in there, keep in touch, let me know how your appointment went!!!!! Laurie
Kathy W.
on 4/15/08 5:16 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
my dr was stuck in surgery and cancelled my appt. I had a meeting with him last night and found out he was on call and asked him if he would end up cancelling again on Tuesday. He asked what was wrong and we talked about it. Turns out I didn't have a stricture at all, I have an esophigeal web and he said it was a birth defect. Same symptoms as you guys just different cause.
tcboots
on 4/14/08 4:29 am - mentor, OH
Hi, I had surgery 1/7/08 and right at the 3 week mark when you get to enjoy (haha) soft foods I noticed that I couldn't. A couple small bites of thick soup would cause this intense pain in my chest and the next thing you know my mouth would water and up it would come. Then of course it would be followed by hours and hours of not being able to even drink a sip. This went on for a week or so and my doctor said start over, you might have irrated the pouch with the calcium chewables? So I started back at clear liquids again for a week, I was drinking protien shakes (3 a day). After a week went by I tried it again, no luck, couldn't even take a tablespoon full of thick purreed soup. Back to the liquids. Finally 2 weeks ago it had gotten so bad I couldn't drink water, and I had an endoscopy, the dr said I had a pinhole opening and an ulcer. All of that being said...... I have lost 60 lbs since surgery and 77 lbs since dec 2nd, 2008. I can count the items I have eaten that are real food on two hands! I am not at all hungry, thank God! The worst part of it all is that with taking in so little calories the weight is not falling off like you would think? I have read other posts that say you have to be over the 800 calorie mark a day or you wont lose? I am thinking of adding to my shakes? I have 3 a day now about 90 grams of protien and about 450 calories, other than sugar free pudding, sugar free fudge pops and cream of chicken cup o soup, that is about all I have every day. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I am obviously not an emotional eater or I would have gone out of my mind by now. I think the only reason I even try to eat real food is that I know I should be able to and one of these days I will HAVE to. Thanks for letting me vent! Tracie
Laurie O.
on 4/14/08 10:08 pm
Hey Tracie, sounds like you, me and Kathy (who also posted) are triplets! I let it go so long after my surgery because I thought the throwing was something I was doing wrong until I was down my mom's on Easter Sunday and I started throwing up even water and black stuff which was blood from the ulcers I developed from all the throwing up, I got scoped the next Wednesday and all was well for about 2 weeks then went downhill fast. I called my doc this past friday and since I was still keeping down water, they didn't admit me and did the scope as an outpatient procedure yesterday. I am keeping foods down again, just going slow, but my surgeon said it could even come back again, he said he's never had to do it more than 3 times....I just pray it doesn't come back! Definately we are not taking in enough calories, our bodies are in starvation mode and holding onto everything it can, so frustrating. I just want to feel good again and not tired and pukey! Take care and keep me posted!!!! Laurie
tdawntx
on 6/23/09 3:44 am - Fritch, TX
your story is exactly what I am going through right now.  I am almost 4 weeks post op and am back to clear liquids.  Although I am able to get down water melon for some reason.  It also hurts to drink liquids sometimes.  Feels like everything is stuck and it , as my daughter teases, contractions in my stomach.  after about 30 minutes, or throw up, does the pain stop.  Sadly, the pills that my doc gave me for the nausea and pain seem like horse pills and those are the ones that get stuck the easiest.  He gave me pain pills because I was throwing up so hard, I was having muscle cramps in my abdominal area.....  I am managing to get down those Campbells soup at hands...... the chicken noodle is good, and since it is a "sipping" soup, the noodles are tiny.  I am getting frustrated, cuz I can tell I am hungry but scared to eat anything....... and to be honest, I am sick of all the "cool aid " flavored drinks.....LOL   The only good news about all of this is I am down 34lbs in 31/2 weeks.....
Kathy W.
on 4/27/08 5:43 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
Good news now!!! LMAO I just found out on Friday that last Monday I did have a stricture this time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 643 views
Hello
shaysmom · 0 replies · 780 views
ITS ALMOST TIME!!!!
diamondsparkle08 · 0 replies · 892 views
clogged
CHARO · 1 replies · 898 views