united healthcare not coving surgery

pfchavis
on 5/20/10 10:49 am
The bariatric team contacted my insurance (unitedhealthcare choice plus) with an okay. They were told all three procedures were covered.  Then I called and the rep tells me no.  Then the bariatric team calls again and a rep tells her no. The bariatric teams says i should submit claim and appeal. Any advise? I was exited at first but now my hope dwindles because I cannot afford this with cash. Anyone else had this happen? What are the odds that they will cover the procedure with an appeal?

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/10 4:00 pm - crown point, IN
I have the same insurance. I was denied after my prior authorization was submitted because my BMI was not 40 even though I had high blood pressure and other medical problems due to obesity, however I did appeal and it was approved the second time around. Hope it works out. Good Luck!
clstark1
on 2/23/11 2:52 am - Ballwin, MO
I am just curious. I have UHC Choice Plus and I was denied because my BMI was under 40 and they said my comorbidities werent really comorbidities. I have artheritis in my knees, anxiety and depression, the beginning stages of liver damage, sleep difficulties (dont know if sleep apnea), chronic back pain due to stress on fractured pelvic bone and bad circulation. What other medical problems did you have? Im so afraid that they are going to deny my appeal and I am trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks,
Chelsea

zanne2324
on 5/28/10 2:32 pm - West Bend, WI
It all depends on what your company has paid for. My companies contract with United Healthcare excludes all weight loss.. but the bariatric surgery with BMI requirements and co-morbidities are considered medically necessary surgery.. .and were covered..

Appeal and best of luck!
 HW - 383/ SW - 376/ CW - 259/ GW - 199

Most Active
Recent Topics