Sometimes I think I got "Punked"

slw1270
on 6/16/10 5:51 am
I am just curious does anyone out there feel as though their new stoma is not restrictive?  I had my gastric bypass on 01/20/2010 and I can count on one hand no exaggeration, how many times I stopped eating because I felt full.  I feel like I wa*****ed sometimes.  Going in after the seminar and whatever other research I conducted, after it was all said and done , my new stoma was going to be the size of a grape (LOL) and I was going to reach that feeling of satiety quicker after surgery .  Well, that's not my story.  I literally stop myself from eating when I think I've had enough without no real help from my pouch telling me when to back off and for the most part, alot of the time I am still hungry. But I just suck it up and just bite the hunger bullet for fear of overeating and stretching out this new alleged stoma.  Don't get me wrong I am losing the weight, if you ask me at a snails paste, but I am losing none the less.  Prior to surgery I managed to lose 31 lbs for an average monthly loss of 5lbs and since surgery I have lost 70 lbs for an average monthly loss of 14 lbs.  Even though the average weight loss has increased since surgery I feel like the tool that should be aiding me (restriction) to obtain my weight loss goals is failing me and I am doing on my own what I could have done without my anatomy being altered. 

HW386 SW355 GW185  (31 POUNDS LOST DURING PRE-SURGERY DIET)

teishakeisha
on 6/17/10 8:04 am - Catonsville, MD
i totally agree i had surgery 1/26/10 n only lost 50 lbs since then i lost 16 a month prior to surgery
Shelly C.
on 6/18/10 7:06 am - Alameda, CA
I feel full, but feel like the weight loss is slow to. My surgery was January 28th and I lost 10lbs before surgery and ahve lost 50 pounds roughly.

Extended Tummy Tuck w lipo/Muscle Repair // BL/Aug // Arm Lift Aug 2012
dsherrera
on 6/19/10 5:21 am
I am so glad to find other people that are not feeling restricted. I am always hungry it seems like and trying to keep to my 5 small meals a day. My weight loss doesn't seem to be any faster than I could've/should've done with just diet. I have felt very "punked" by this whole thing.
Dymone
on 6/20/10 6:33 pm - Everman, TX
Wow, I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels this way.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I had this surgery and for the weight I have already lost.  But it just seems like the weight loss has slowed down and I too am noticing that I am eating more than I should.  But I can definetly tell that I have lost quiet a bit of weight but at 5 months, it just seems like the weight loss should be steady to say the least.  I'm not going to give up either, I thought about going back to my post-op diet to see if that will jump start the weightloss again.  Either way, I'll keep you posted.

Take Care,
Dymone
krizzti
on 6/21/10 2:30 am - Lakeville, MN
Funny, I was just thinking the SAME THING yesterday... and my surgery was the same day as yours!

Something I keep in mind, though, is hey, I used to sit and eat a batch of cookies by myself.  Now I slice off a bit of cookie, enjoy it, and then feel guilty for eating "so much sugar."  lol  The weight loss is incredible!  :)  As long as we keep losing, and we're getting full on foods that are better for us than we chose before, then halleluja!
Missy N.
on 6/22/10 4:13 am - Kalkaska
I have the same surgery date as you!  I have lost 80 lbs after surgery, and 11 lbs before hand.  My weight loss has slowed quiet a bit.  I may only lose 10lbs a months, if I am luck. I am hoping that since I lost a lot of weight right after the surgery, now my body is catching up.

As far as the restriction, I just tested it today! Oh it still works. I still can't have ruben meat. It hurts also, and when you are at work and get sick, that sucks more.  It also depends on what I am eating. Like soup I can eat a lot of soup now, and salads are about the same.  Just keep doing what your surgeon has told you and things will start working out for you. Good Luck!

Missy       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
HW 260 SW 249 (1/20/10)  CW 134
1st GW 150 (reached 8/29/10) 
2nd GW 135 (reached 12/1/10)
I really don't have another goal weight. :)

Daphne G.
on 6/23/10 7:23 am - WI

I feel the same way...i had my surgery on January 4th.  I stop myself from eating most of the time instead of my stoma stopping me,  Don't get me wrong, it does work sometimes.  I just feel like more times than not, I can eat more than I should be.  I have lost almost 60 lbs so far and that's pretty good, so I don't feel so bad about that, but I do get concerned when I eat.

I go back to the doc for my 6 mo checkup on the 2nd, so I will discuss it with him and see what he says.

Good luck to everyone!  I am glad to see that I am not in this alone.

yuiop69
on 7/31/10 5:03 am
I was told this surgery is a lot about behavior moditification and not just that the tool will stop me from eating too much. 

I have to really make the best choices I can and watch what I eat or I get too many calories- mostly from eating a little or moderate amount and then waiting and doing that same thing over and over.

It is a lifelong struggle, that's for sure. 

But I also feel like the other poster...that my eating is SO much "better" that what it used to be.

Hang in there and keep going.  Best of luck to you.

Melinda

Highest weight 386, surgery (1/11/10) 357, Current 198, Initial Goal 150.

SOooooooo thankful for my RNY tool.

Sparklegigi
on 8/21/10 5:51 am - La Verne, CA
at the nutrtion class they told me that we would have the ghrehlin cut from our system and we would not be hungry.  Instead, I was hungry from day one.  What I found works for me is that I still pack my food for lunch in a 2 oz cup, eat off of a saucer and if I get up and do something even for a minute during my meal, I feel full. something about walking around does it for me.  Could u be eating too soon after u drink or drinking too soon after eating?  Could u be eating white foods, crackers, etc?  Are u still getting 70-90 grams of protein in with all of your 64 oz of water?  I am hungrier when I dont get all of my water in and I dont let myself eat till I drink.  Hope that helps.  I have lost VERY slowly all 7 of my months post op.
I

Most Active
Recent Topics