Yesterday is gone, live life today!

Patrick S.
on 1/29/04 12:01 am - St. Joseph, Mo
Hello my fellow barriatric explorers! I have very pleased with the weight loss I have seen. It is amazing what I have been able to accomplish with the help of this amazing surgery ! I had my surger in Feb. 03, and have todate (Jan. 04) gone from 470lbs to 215lbs. I would just like to say be careful about getting enough vitamin b12. If you fall short it can cause many problems. I was told that we cannot absorb it through the pouch effectively so we need to get desolving drops for under the tongue or the injection form of b12. Check with your Doc to make sure you are getting the right nutrition! Also be on the lookout for bowel obstruction. This month I had an obstructed bowel and was sent home from the local emergency room with a diagnosis of 'Constipation", well to make a long story short, they chose to ignore the fact that I told them I was a post-op barriatric patient , this little mistake could have cost me my life! Be sure that if you think you have a problem that you see a doctor who is fully aware of the possible side effects of your surgery, it could be a life or death matter! This surgery can be the best thing that ever happened for you, just proceed carefully and get all the info you can. Thx
Marcia P.
on 1/29/04 12:04 pm - Farmington, MN
Congratulations on your weight loss Patrick! You should be very proud of yourself! You're half the man you use to be.....in a good way! Thank you for the "heads-up" on the B-12. I am a pre-op scheduled for surgery on February 17. I started the process in December of 02, so I have done a lot of research and gone to support groups, but I don't think anyone is every totally ready or if they totally know what to expect. I appreciate all the info from post-ops that I can get. Again, congratulations, and best of luck to you!
Patrick S.
on 1/29/04 12:35 pm - St. Joseph, Mo
Thanx Marcia and best of luck. Let the Lord lead and trust him to take care of you and all will be just fine. I was soooooo scared before my surgery, but the night before I spent about an hour in prayer and meditation asking him to take care of me and help me to be strong, and you know the next morning I was as comfortable as if I was going to the movies or something! May God be with you and carry you through this time, and may you achieve all you have set out to achieve! Your friend and fellow barriatric explorer, Patrick S.
Most Active