Not doing so well

Heidi H.
on 6/27/04 5:53 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
My new is not so good. I'm 1 year and 5 months out. I've gained 11 pounds in the last 4 months. The weight has started to creep back on. I'm trying not to panic but I'm trying to "relearn" how to eat again. It's harder when you don't have the surgery so fresh in your mind and don't get sick as easy anymore to help keep you in check. I'm struggling with my depression and anxiety again, which makes me want to eat even more. I thought my therapist and I had worked through my emotional eating, but it looks like I still have a way to go. Please email with any support you can offer. Please, I don't need negative remarks right now. Thank you. [email protected]
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/04 2:40 am - Plano, TX
Heidi, Please hang in there. I'm 1 year and 5 months post op. I had the SRVG (like the VBG), and I've lost 84 lbs now. I lost 65 lbs in the first 6 months, and then quit losing. I also quit exercising and following the rules. I can eat way more than I should be able to. Then I gained 20 lbs back. I was so angry at myself. I got angry at my doctor too and was going to see him and make him explain. But his policy is that before I can get an appointment, I have to keep a food diary for two weeks. Boy what an eye opener! I could see where I had gone wrong, so I cancelled my appointment. I got out my instruction book and went back to the basics for a while. First I went back and re-read every thought I have ever written down. I had been keeping an on-line journal, and it helped me to remember why I did it in the first place. It re-motivated me. I didn't go back to liquids, but I did go back as far as pureed foods for about three weeks. It was hard! But I challenged myself again. Then I gradually added different foods. I continued to keep the food diary to keep myself in check. I monitored carbs, protien, fat, and calories. Then I started reading the Atkins book, and now I only monitor carbs. I know that right now Atkins in highly controversial, but it does work. I've had many family members and friends lower their cholesterol levels and even completely come off of medications because of the Atkins plan. One friend of mine who had the lap band and is diabetic, and who had to take three insulin injections per day, follows the Atkins plan and is completely insulin-free now. If you read the book, you'll understand why. I am now down 84 lbs. (19 lbs doing Atkins). I started out at 334 pre-op. I love the way I eat, and I am NOT craving anything. I am walking again, and loving the positive feedback I am getting. I hope what I have said here helps you. Get angry and take control again once and for all. Becky
Kim P.
on 7/27/04 9:59 am - Somers, CT
You can do it!! I just know you can! It seems overwhelming but 11 pounds is NOTHING! You can lose that in one month if you get motivated. Are you exercising? You can do it! Let me know how you are!
Wanda H.
on 8/17/04 10:06 pm - Alexandria, La
Don't give up. Just remeber what you have done. I do understand because I have lost 170 pounds since 2/2003 and I've noticed I can eat more but I also remember what I have been through. I am going to talk to a sugeron about plastic surgeon.Pray and I wish you the best.
Heidi H.
on 8/18/04 12:34 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
OP here: Thank you all for your support. I'm still struggling, but I've managed to stop the weight gain. My low was 129 and I had gotten up to 140. Now I can usually keep it around 136 to 138. I am eating for comfort but trying to learn to substitute other activites. My husband just got a new job and is away for 14 hours a day for training in another city, and we will be moving in October to a different city. I'm in charge of finding a place to live and packing, etc. My first instinct is to hide in my house (I used to be agoraphobic) and, hence no exercise. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much! Heidi
beverly U.
on 2/25/05 12:37 am - Wilton, ca
sister you sound like me........I lost over a hundred pounds my low was also about 125.....then I went all the way back up to 140 now I stay about 135. this is the thing.......your body is adjusting, my surgery is 2 yrs out... my body didn't look good at the 125 level, I looked horrible.....lucky I took some pictures and saw what a bone pile I was at that weight also my skin hung and was discolored... now that I have settled back into what seems to be my set point my skin looks pink and healthy again and so do I. I freaked out the first time the scale came back at 140 thinking I had just pushed myself back up to the 200 pound plus mark.....it was a few days and I was back down to normal. just keep your notes, exercise and eat as your suppose to...let your body get to it's normal set point without you rushing to judge it. you will be okay and look better in the long run, when in doubt keep your journal and see what your eating that isn't suppose to be or the exercise. good luck and keep your chin up !! it's easy for me to keep my chin up now since I only have 1 and not 3 chins any longer.....LOL
mama_hellcat
on 3/3/05 11:33 am - Fort Myers, FL
Mental illness and eating too much go hand in hand. I am manic depressive and have a severe panick disorder.. I eat all the time and i gained a bunch of weight, but I had to sit and think what I was doing to myself and think about how miserable I was at 285 pounds.. I am now 125 but yo-yoed from 135 - 150 for a few months. It's all mental at this point in the game. If you have mental issues, it is important that you see a doc and get put on meds asap or else you will eat for comfort when you are depressed. Good luck, darlin'.. ps- From personal experience, be very aware of addiction transfers ... eating is considered an addiction.. try to stray away from painkillers and alcohol; you may have more serious problems in the future. Best of luck, hun. e-mail me if you need more help: [email protected].. put in subject "reply to comment". Thanks.. and good luck again! **Roxc** post-op since 02/2003
Dena M.
on 11/8/07 5:38 am - Milwaukee, WI
I can relate. I have gained 40 of the 75lbs I lost in a two year time period. I had the Laporscopic VBG in 2003. I'm scheduled for an outpatient procedure next week to have my band tightened. Since I've been able to eat just about anything, I also have to "relearn" how to eat. Don't give up hope. Talk to your doctor before you gain too much back. Keep the faith! [email protected]
Most Active