Cross Addictions

Leeanne S.
on 6/15/07 4:10 am - Huntington, NY
Ive heard and read a bit about cross addictions, where food is no longer the issue and sex, drugs, alcohol, shopping or sex becomes the addiction. I have found myself in this situation and am not quite sure where to turn, Im not ready to go joining any 12 step program, I was wondering if anyone out there was experiencing the same thing or knows of some good reading related to it. Any information at all on this subject woud be greatly appriciated.. Thanks Lee
amandalianne
on 6/20/07 8:57 am - Juneau, AK
Hello Leeanne Honestly, I believe it . . . not necessarily for everyone but for quite a few of us. Initially after the weight started to drop off, I found myself in certain situations that (for example) might extremely stress me out and previously I might have dealt with it by going home, locking myself up & eating until I was sick. But at this time, I couldn't do that anymore . . . so I started smoking again (since quit - thank god!!). . . tried to drink (but was too much of a lightweight) . . . or like you said I started shopping (spending money on crap I didn't need). I have an extremely addictive personality . . . and can admit it. I'm dealing with it all . . . and I haven't joined any 12 step program. I don't know of any good reading, but I think I saw something advertised on tv about it being on that show (big medicine - I think). Anyways, I'm always here though if you want to chat. I'm a terrific listener
Carrie Stockwell
on 8/3/07 3:29 am - Dublin, CA
I was glad to see I'm not the only one. My cross addiction is red wine. Like you, I'm not ready for a 12step. Maybe this is denial talking...but I don't feel I need one. I enjoy my evening drinks. I'm a functional drink as some say. The drinking has helped me gain weight which is not what I want to do! Sorry, I don't have advice. I'm surprised more of "us" haven't posted. It would be nice to not feel so alone and even better would be someone out there who has been through this and survived! Good luck to you!
Linn D.
on 8/20/07 1:08 am - Missoula, MT
Leeanne, I wish I had a little more insight into this. I'm fortunate that I don't have an addictive personality to begin with, but I know many who do. It just takes conscious effort on a daily basis to keep yourself in check. Sometimes the consequences are enough to keep others from going too deep. I honestly believe my husband is an alcoholic. He now gets really bad headaches when he drinks very much at all, so is reluctant to drink as often. I do take the time to exercise, and I know some people use that as a way to be addicted to something that doesn't hurt them so much. It also uses up quite a bit of time during the day. I doubt that I've helped any, but I do understand how this works. Best of luck to you!
Most Active