Frustrations....thought I'd come back to my old friends!

keal19
on 6/17/08 6:19 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
Hi~ It's been forever since I've posted in here, but I truly find myself at wit's end. I had RNY in February 2004 and did very well for about the first 18 months. Losing weight without difficulty, exercising regularly etc. I do admit that exercise slacked off a bit (maybe 6 months or so), but I continued to eat my protein and drink my water....then my weight began to creep back up. 2 years out, I had regained about 10 pounds. I began exercising again, continued the protein and water...and at 3 years out...poof 10 more pounds. In the interim my migraines began occurring again (i hadn't had one since a few days before my surgery). I began having nightsweats, couldn't sleep, tired all the time and just generally irritable. Through testing with my PCP, we came to figure out that I've got a thyroid issue going on. They're treating it and trying to get my levels stabilized in the meantime, my weight is continuing to increase. Regardless of how diligently I exercise, drink my water and eat my protein it has no impact. I'd be foolish to say that I'm 100% perfect with my eating, but I'm following the directions of my surgeon far more often than not. I was doing aerobics all of 2007 4-5 times a week, with no change to my weight loss, it became very frustrating. Beginning in January, we had an unexpected vacancy at work and my schedule took on a life of it's own. I could no longer exercise during lunch time, and rarely left the office before 9:00PM. I keep a stash of protein at the office, and could usually run to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat. Although I have to admit that hunger is something that I do not experience. There have been days where I eat breakfast and then don't eat again until sometime in the evening if my schedule is busy enough. Hunger just isn't an issue for me, and hasn't been since my surgery. Here's a prime example, I began exercising regularly again about 6 weeks ago, attending one hour classes 4-5 days a week, drinking my water and ensuring that I get a minimum of 70 grams of protein a day. I've gained nearly 10 pounds! I have lost nothing and feel like a complete failure. Some of it is to do with my thyroid...but I don't know what more to do...It appears as though I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. It's so discouraging to be doing what's asked/expected of me to have the same result as if I didn't. I feel like a failure, yet I don't know what more to do or what to do differently. I'm lost....completely lost.
MsSplenda
on 6/30/08 9:21 am - Northern CA
Hi Michelle, I am sorry you are having a challenging time with your weight. Did the doctor put you on medication for your thyroid? I had this issue before surgery and was on medication until about six months after surgery. Continue to hang in there as best you can... Come back and post with a up date whether you gain or lose.. I pray you will began to lose. I had hip replacement surgery eight months ago so I am not as active as I desire to be and struggling not to gain. I even went as far as taking water pill until I reached out for help from my surgeon office and my therpist.(sp) Again, continue to hang in there. MsSplenda/aka Shirley
insideout
on 7/28/08 11:10 pm
I too had my surgery in feb 2004. for the longest time the weight stayed down then this year say may of this year I gained 20lbs. just had some lab work and going to see the doctor this friday. I hope there is a good explantion for this weight.
keal19
on 3/9/09 5:06 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
Hello...me again!

Thought I'd give a brief update...still working through medical issues.  Just diagnosed with my second stress fracture in less than a year (fourth metatrsal in each foot); had a bone density scan which showed 'moderately reduced bone density'; could be osteopenia.  May consider switching to calcium citrate, to see if that helps with the calcium.  Migraines are back, makes me wonder about the thyroid issues.  Some possible calcium/vitamin d concerns...but nothing concrete.

Weight continues to creep up, exercise is a struggle now with the boot/immobilization on my foot.  Hoping to star****er areobics soon to get some exercise in. 

I'm beyond frustrated, and at a loss.  My weight is becoming a huge anchor around me and I feel like a complete and total failure....
Most Active