Weight Gain - Happy Anniversary

Debby H.
on 2/4/09 5:21 am - Kansas City, Mo

This month marks the 5th yr anniversary for me, and it seems like the weight is creeping back!
I am so scared.
The old habits came back and I don't want to ever go back to the way I was - 200 lbs ago.
Does any one else have trouble with weight gain?
In Feb. 2004 I had my RNY done and with in one year I lost 200lbs., then 2005 I had a Heart Attack and Open Heart Surgery.
2006 Had a ICD (Internal Coronary Difibulator) put in
2007 Left knee replaced
2008 Rt knee replaced.
I so much want 2009 to be a good year!!!

NickE
on 2/21/09 9:30 am - Capital District, NY
Debby -

It's actually part of most people's experience with WLS.
By everything I read preop - you can expect to gain back up to half of what you lose after 5 years.
Anything else is extraordinary diligence and following "the rules" to the letter.

Most of us aren't great at following "the rules" or else we wouldn't have ended up where we were to begin with.

You've had a lot of health issues even post op.
I know I've had more joint issues after I lost weight (pain wise) once the heaviness and the weight was OFF the joint than I did before - just because the weight wasn't pushing down on the worn joints, so they 'slopped around'.

All you can do is try to restart. Does your surgeon have a support group? Many have realized that a "restart" program is needed and have started something like that with a medifast-kick-start...

Check, if you haven't been back in touch with them.
Your tool CAN still work.

BUT
This far post op, you're back to it taking some work to make it work..

HUGZ
Hang in there!!!

...Nick (also Feb 04)

DaffodilRusty
on 7/8/09 12:43 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Hi Debby-
I know where you're coming from.  Since my bypass in 2004:
Pacemaker for sick sinus syndrome-2005
Right knee replacement-2007
Interstim surgery and repositioning-2007-2008 (4 times in surgery)
Mother died-2008
Back surgery-2008
Esophageal dilation 3 X's 2008-2009
Aunt died-2009
Bilateral knee surgery-1 week ago
A bit of stress?  And all to the tune of 20 lb weight gain!  Now we're moving to AZ and all my cute little summer outfits are either skintight or don't fit at all.  I thinbk we need to cut urselves a bit of slack.  I have every hope and belief that I can get back on track...and so can you.  Keep the faith!
Best of luck,
Daffodil
janswia
on 8/28/09 5:12 am - Columbia City, IN
Same with me.  I'm up 22 pounds from my lowest point and most of that has come in the last 18 months.  I am struggling not to fall back into old traps of fast food and sugar.  Today was a turning point - tried on 3 skirts that I've ALWAYS worn since surgey and while all 3 still fit, they don't feel good.  I don't even want to think of how they look.

So this afternoon, I was back to counting calories and had my (now larger) derrier back on the treadmill.

I know HOW to do it; now if I could just find someone to MAKE me do it.

Julie
Most Active