Reactive Hypoglycemia

Phoenix_Reborn
on 10/10/08 2:52 pm - sacramento, CA
I was just diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia almost 4 years after surgery. I have been miserable after every meal and have gained almost 60 pounds because of it. After eating, almost anything, my heart starts racing up to 110 beats per minute and I get real tired and sometimes cant avoid sleeping especially after a high carb meal. My fasting blood sugar was at 79 and 2 hour was 57. The other day I ate a healthy egg beater scramble for breakfast with some veggies and in 30 minutes of eating i was at 84. If anyone is having similar symptoms please get looked at. I was going some research at it seems that 1-2% of WLS patients get this, but my primary doctor has 3 now. I have another friend that is experiancing symptoms but has not gotten checked yet so she is not confirmed. The treatment is a low glycemic diet like Zone or South Beach. If that does not work there is medications or worst case another surgery to remove all or part of the pancreas. The sooner you are diagnosed the better. State of mind is decreased some with blood levels below 60, more noticibly when less then 40, and can lead to seizures. I have had short term memory loss really bad this past year and really bad nightmares several in a night. I cannot stress that if you even think you may have symptoms get checked, even if you do not. There are several things online about this even as early as 2000-2004 studies. I started with simple weight gain as my first symptom. I just wanted to pass the word on to those that have had surgery.
tamelapittman
on 10/26/08 4:00 pm
I thought these symptoms were normal.  I do this once and a while right after I eat but I eat a peanut butter sandwhich or some beef jerky and it stops.  I thought it was because of sugar levels but I wasn't sure.  However, that works for me.  I would get the shakes and feel like if I didn't get something in me I would pass out or worst.  However, I am 3 years post op and don't get it quite as bad now.
Bpdurf
on 5/27/10 12:52 pm - Concord, CA

My WLS was 12/07 and lost 189 lbs. Then started having seizures and was hospitalized for a week, was dx with reactive hypoglycemia. I feel I've traded one problem for another.  I'm off the seizure meds for now but it does'nt matter what I eat I have low blood sugar . Would just like a menu I could follow without trying to figure one out. Where can I go for that? Bpdurf

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still around?
Robin D. · 2 replies · 692 views
checking in
markys mama · 2 replies · 800 views