Healthier snack options - plan ahead!

Terri R. R
on 5/20/07 6:03 am - 'bout 45 minutes from San Francisco, CA
Well, Elisa sweetie, this is for you! The most important thing I've learned about snack is they have to be planned and easy. I get up about 15 minutes early each day to make lunch for my husband and get snacks ready. I put things in little baggies for the day. I keep fresh fruit rinsed and ready to eat at all times. My husband can be caught sneaking grapes all the time. I don't care. I'd rather he eat those! We are both basically lazy people at heart. I'll eat what's ready and on hand. Healthier snack alternatives All fruits are good. They are so sweet (from good carbs) and are low calorie foods. I basically use fruit as my fall to food. When I want something sweet, I grab fruit. Examples: 100 g grapes - 71 calories, 18 carbs (good carbs), 1 fat & 1 protein 200 g (3.5 oz) strawberries - 60 calories, 24 carbs (good carbs - almost 5 g fiber!), 1 fat & 1 protein La Tortilla whole wheat tortilla (fajita size) with 1 tbs peanut butter (crunchy is the best) - 145 calories, 14 carbs (9 of which are dietary fiber), 10 fat (good fat!), & 9 protein Kashi Go Lean - high fiber & high protein cereal - I eat ¾ cup dry. 105 calories, 22 carbs (8 fiber), 1 fat & 10 protein Frozen fat free no sugar added yogurt - different brands have different stats - the one I buy has 90 calories, no fat, 22 carbs, and 3 protein Dannon Light & fit yogurt - 60 calories, 0 fat, 11 carbs, and 5 protein 100 calorie packs - ALL OF THEM ARE YUMMY! Kaysnaturals.com protein chips - 110 calories, 3.5 fat, 14 carbs (3 fiber), and 10 protein - they come in yummy flavors like nacho chili cheese, parmesan, and lemon herb Protein bars - make sure they have a 15 to one calorie to protein ratio or less. So, a 10 gram protein bar should have no more than 150 (10x15) calories and a 15 g protein bar should have no more than 225 (15x15) calories. Beef Jerky (YUMM!!) - one ounce has about 70 calories and at least 15 g protein. I make my own. That way I can control sodium. Sugar free popsicles and those little cups of sugar free pudding ready to eat are always in my refrigerator/freezer. Hope this information helps!
Elisa *
on 5/20/07 2:41 pm - I.V., CA
Thanks Terri! I'm taking notes... I love the 100 calorie packs...I should stock up on those because I never really finish a bag when I munch on them. Elisa
Gi G.
on 5/21/07 7:38 am
TFS! Some of mine: Fage 0%[brand name of Greek style yogurt] I add Splenda and fresh or no sugar added canned fruit [I like crushed pineapple], or mix with onion or veggie soup mix to make a dip for veggies [baby carrots are surprisingly filling]. It's higher protein than regular yogurt and creamier. I've also mixed it with Kashi Go Lean, I like the crunch. Bear Naked "Peak Protein" [http://store.bearnaked.com] I add this to Fage or eat right out of the bag. It's really filling and super yummy, has 5g of protein per 1/4 cup [trust me, mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of Fage and I'm stuffed] and only 5g of sugar. {I haven't tried the other flavors yet but I checked the Banana Nut and that's low in sugar too - I like the Peak Protein because it doesn't have raisins, it has dried cranberries}. This company was featured on the Food Network, they make their stuff by hand and it's all natural. Fresh fruit, sugar free or fat free Cool Whip and Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ [http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/8085.html] - I prefer strawberries &/or pineapple. I add the wheat germ to yogurt, too. It's delicious. Boiled or steamed shrimp ****tail. I cook up a bunch of these and keep them in the fridge with home made ****tail sauce [I like it spicy - extra horseradish!]. You can freeze the shrimp and bring them for lunch, by the time you're ready to eat, they are thawed but still cold. Nuts. I like the deluxe mixed kind or the flavored Blue Diamond Almonds. They also make nuts in 100 calorie packs now. Pickles. The sour baby gherkins are good. They also make no sugar added bread and butter gherkins that are a nice treat. I make quesadillas with the wheat tortillas. Small non stick pan, spray on some Pam, grated cheese [you can use fat free but I don't] and leftover chicken, or cut up chicken cutlets that DH has grilled. Let the cheese melt and the tortilla crisp up a bit, fold over and cut into wedges. Eat with a small amount of low fat sour cream and a lot of salsa! Not really a snack, but good nonetheless. xosm
Elisa *
on 5/21/07 3:23 pm - I.V., CA
THanks GG these are great options too! I've never heard of fage though...I'ma look into it. Where do you get yours from? Does it taste just like yogurt too? I like yogurt. Elisa
Jen Halliday
on 5/22/07 12:10 pm - Elmira, NY
Fage is great! Does it taste like yogurt? Hmmm, no. I mean, it's strained yogurt, so it's thicker. It kinda tastes like sour cream. If you don't add stuff to it (unless you like eating sour cream straight from the container) you might not like it. I agree with GG, I add fresh fruit, Splenda, Bear Naked granola, stuff like that. I also add agave nectar, which is gel from cactus. It's all-natural, from the organic food section. It's less intense than honey and it doesn't make me dump. It's yummy! Jen Halliday
Gi G.
on 5/23/07 1:40 am
I get Fage from my local supermarket, I don't know if you have Trader Joe's there, but I know they have it, too. I think it DOES taste like yogurt, just thicker and creamier, but definitely a yogurt taste. xosm
Kayla
on 5/25/07 3:41 am - Skinny Land, CA
Thanks Terri! It's always nice to get new ideas! I am going to look up the chips right now!
sxysyl
on 5/31/07 3:28 am - Pomona, CA
Thank you for all these great ideas....I just ordered a mixed case of Kay's Naturals....I hope they are good! Sylvia
Most Active
Recent Topics
I'm out of control
maryjo57 · 3 replies · 1684 views
5 years ago
Homeseller_Rebecca W. · 0 replies · 660 views
NEED INFORMATION...HELP
janeel1 · 1 replies · 760 views