Surgery Mon and not nervous YET

kMathes
on 2/9/06 2:25 am - north dartmouth, MA
Hi Everyone, I am new to posting but, read posts everyday. I can't tell you how much this site has helped me. I have learned so much and found real inspiration from it. My surgery is Monday and I am not the least bit nervous. In the back of my head there are thoughts but, I am trying to think as positive as possible. Is this wrong that I am not nervous YET? I tell myself if I dont do this I may die an early death. Sometimes I worry for my kids and my husband if something should happen to me but I also think about what the surgery will do for us. We all need to get healthy not just me. I have been getting mixed reviews when I tell People I am having Bypass. I have gotten alot of positive reviews though. I also have a friend who keeps telling me about a relative that had the same surgery a few weeks back. She is having lots of complications. I know she is nervous for me. But, I need to focus on me and not her. To evryone having surgery this month I wish you lots of luck. I can't wait to be on the losing side.
Terri L. Ray
on 2/9/06 3:45 am - Pegram, TN
Hey Katie -- there's no requirement to be nervous before WLS. I think although I tried not to think about my WLS pre-op, the last three weeks pre-op were horrible because I did think of every reason not to have it and -- the main thing was - - I was really scared that I would no longer get to eat good fun or food that looked good or pretty much anything everyone else is able to enjoy. I know that it is all just a perception and our perception IS something we can change. Since WLS, I have found so many GREAT things I am able to eat AND with a little creativity - - most any recipe can be made into a form where it is healthy and okay for a post-WLS life style. For example, there are so many types of protein bars available to us -- that they have almost any flavor you can image that will not only help us get our daily protein in but also -- taste awesome. Okay -- all of them don't taste awesome but some of them (many of them) will. As far as my nerves pre-op, I knew I needed this surgery enough to go through all that I had to in order to get inside the pre-op prep room and let the WLS staff do their thing. About the time all the last minute thoughts were going through my head and I was looking for someone to tell I may be chickening out on having the surgery -- it was all over and done and I found myself waking up in a hospital room -- already through the surgery and the post-op recovery room. By 5 months out, I had already lost 100 lbs and since then, I've lost another 25 lbs plus....so -- it's nice for me to see my shadow in the sunlight while I'm outside -- and really like what I see. For so long -- I've hated even a glimpse of my shadow on the walls or sidewalks. I've been able to get rid of my CPAP machine and no longer have to take high blood pressure meds. I also have not had to take migraine meds since having my WLS. Instead of wearing a size 26/28 (tightly), I'm wearing a size 14 and - - smiling as I fit into a size large instead of a 3x or 4x now. I'm still not at my goal but I can see some light and how much this surgery has helped me -- as a tool -- to better reach my goals to live a healthier life and not just exist in a body full of extra weight I don't need -- hauling it around. I never knew how much the weight really pulled me down in life but - - - I am learning to enjoy life in a smaller body now. 'Hang in there. With time, you'll feel so much better and will be able to enjoy both your husband and children so much more. Best wishes to you......you and yours will be in my prayers.
Kennie29
on 2/9/06 1:41 pm - Chesapeake, VA
You will do great. I was scared but not the bawling kinda scared. Actually I was so calm I suprised myself, but I just felt a sense of peace in me as if I was being told by the Lord that I would be taken care of and my surgery went well without any problems. I am now 3 days post op and have not had not one problem. I tolerate my liquids, take my vitamins and try to get in all the protein that I can. I have so much energy at times I wonder if the dr actually did the surgery!!!! He told me I don't look like someone who has had major surgery. My C Sections were worse than this surgery....lol!!! So was my arm surgery!! You will do good. I had the same thoughts that you had, but everyone is different. Even though one person may have trouble that does not mean that you will!! Just keep faith that you won't and pray for guidance for yourself and for your surgical team. Once you make that peace, you will ok!! Don't even worry! Good luck, Hugs, Kennie
Terri L. Ray
on 2/10/06 5:33 am - Pegram, TN
I just found out that my obesityhelp.com friend in CA who was to have her WLS today will have hers on Monday. Her profile is at http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=B1129337602 Maybe you two can email each other since you both are set for surgery on Monday. 'Hang in there -- it's worth every bit of challenge that you'll go through....and heck -- most of the things I worried about pre-op, never happened so - -things have worked out pretty well for me and I pray that you'll have awesome results as well.
PinkARinTX
on 2/10/06 11:59 am - Suburb in, TX
Hi Katie, I have my surgery on Monday, Feb 13th also. I'm definitely feeling nervous. After I met with my doctor, got my instructions for the hospital and gave him the money, it was a true reality check. I was worrying about the negative stories from friends and other resources but then I realized the truth. I am overweight and have to do something about it. Keep in mind we have great technology these days and have pretty good healthcare. You'll be in my prayers. As the others have said on this website, your "journey" is just beginning.
sherleb
on 2/10/06 9:20 pm - Hamilton, NJ
Wishing you the best for Monday and a speedy recovery. You are in my prayers. I had my surgery on the 8th and i was home on the 9th and i feel great. sherri
impossibledestiny200

on 2/11/06 12:55 pm - Greendale, IN
Hi Katie! Congrats on your upcoming surgery. Think positive thoughts, nothing negative allowed. One minute you'll be talking to the OR nurses & the next you'll be waking up in recovery. Have all the faith in the world in your surgeon, you must have or you wouldn't be putting yourself in his hands. Everything will go well I'm sure. We'll say a few extra prayers for you for Monday. Good luck, God Bless & keep me up to date when you feel like gabbing online. I'm 8 weeks post op & down 43#'s, not losing as fast as I want but surgeon says I'm right where I shoudl be. Just a little impatient I guess. LOL GOOD LUCK!! Jenn
Most Active
Recent Topics
I'm out of control
maryjo57 · 3 replies · 1685 views
5 years ago
Homeseller_Rebecca W. · 0 replies · 661 views
NEED INFORMATION...HELP
janeel1 · 1 replies · 760 views