One year update (x-post)

leopardgirl
on 2/22/08 12:38 pm - Oreland, PA
That's right. One year ago, my life changed, all for the better. I know that if I hadn't had the courage to change my life, and have the DS, I wouldn't be sitting here today, enjoying normal, everyday occurrences - I wouldn't be able to cross my legs, run up a flight of steps, shop like a maniac, play with my niece and nephew, and still have energy to do more. When I came out of surgery with a complication, I was happy to be alive, but did have some buyer's remorse...what the hell did I do to myself? What I did was save my own life. I chose to live with a surgery that would give me normalcy, and complication or not, I was going to push through the initial weeks of bewilderment, and work it to the fullest. I had my one year checkup today with my surgeon, and he's in awe of my progress. I was his third DS patient, and he calls me the poster child for the DS for the rest of his patients. I've been lucky enough to meet some amazing women and men who've had the same surgery, and are all doing so well. I love getting together with the group, and I think we have a blast and enjoy every minute of our gabfests. Even though my vitamin D level was low (taking 50,000 IU 2Xs/day), and so was my fasting glucose, he still thinks I'm doing wonderfully. He told me I have maybe another 25 lbs to lose, to 178 lbs, but to be honest, I'm not sure where I should end up. I just want to feel healthy, look healthy, and I haven't felt this great since I was a young teen (many moons ago). Every day I read these boards, and I still learn something new. I'm in awe of the progress the post-ops have made, and I can hear the excitement in the posts of the pre-ops. It's great because I get to live it all over again, and hear little pieces of myself in every post, good or bad, happy or sad. But one thing always comes to my mind. The DS has given me a NORMAL life, and I can't say that I work my tool. I think my tool's working me...LOL I eat normal, I drink normal, and I'm just NORMAL. No one stares at me if I'm in a buffet line, getting a few things on my plate or two, or three. I always save room for dessert when I go out, and pre-op, I'd be mortified to order a dessert, and actually enjoy it, but now, I may have a bite or two, but it's so nice to still be able to have dessert, and not feel any guilt. An ex-bf told me I looked like a skinny girl. I still can't grasp that. It's amazing, wonderful, and just plain fan-f*$(ing-tastic. Looking in that mirror has proven difficult, but I certainly like what I see (most days!)...LOL To those pre-ops, still researching, or in the process of getting approved, keep at it. It's worth every ounce of energy you put into it. You won't be disappointed. To those post-ops...you're MY ROCK. You teach me things, you listen to my problems (even if someone else has posted a similar question), and you know me....cause you are me. And now I get to be me, only HEALTHIER, and sometimes, better and sexier (thank god for bottle blondeness). I love my DS, and I couldn't be happier. I wish everyone success in their quest. I've posted pictures on my profile if anyone cares to look.
Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 735 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 758 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 709 views