Have you lost the "FAT BRAIN" yet?

AngieB67
on 4/25/08 10:12 pm - Bel Air, MD
HI FEBRUARY SURGIMATES!! It's been almost 15 months since our surgeries and I'm wondering if any of you are experiencing bouts with the "fat brain" part of you?? I call it the "fat brain" when you still think you are fat or act as if you are larger than you really are? My body has lost the weight but my mind has had some trouble catching up and letting it really sink in some days that I am not the fat girl I used to be!!! For instance, I received a Victoria's Secret clothing catalog in the mail the other day. Before my WLS, I used to toss it straight in the trash from the mailbox. But the other day, the girl on the cover had a cute top on so I opened it. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I could wear their clothes now! WOW!! Anybody else have a moment like that??
SUSIEQQ62
on 5/12/08 9:47 pm - EXETER, PA
Yes Angela I still feel that way most of the time--I am afraid to sit in a chair afraid i will break it and when people tell me i am thin i say no way--But i still do have between 50-60 more lbs to go to my goal.. And when i look in the mirror most of the time i see that 448 lb person and every now and then if i pass a mirror i think Who is that Person--NOt me--I am not almost half the person i used to be! Everyone is complimenting me and I feel like they are lying--but i know they are not--some are just being nice as they say that I am fading away to a shadow--I am like GO ON!1 I too have been getting the Victoria Secrets catalogs and used to toss them and now i am looking at them thinking wow--I can order from this catalog if i wanted too! certian things.. I am still in a womens size 22w--But it is nice to look at a regular clothes catalog rather then lane bryant all the time.. I pray everyone is doing well-- I have lost a total of almost 200lbs now from before and after my RNY Hugs to you all SUSIEQ from NE PA
Diana06
on 5/17/08 3:40 am - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
All the time. I still take pictures and go around asking people if I really look like the way I look. I love Victoria secert's!!!! Diana
mimiof6
on 5/21/08 12:39 pm
Most of the time I'm OK, BUT OCCASIONALLY I'LL GO PAST A MIRROR IN A STORE AND TAKE A "DOUBLE TAKE"! I didn't recognize myself. Not too long ago my daughter looked right past me in TJ Maxx 'cause she was looking for the old me. LOL My fat brain isn't as bad as it used to be but I still beat myself up if I slip and that is a big bad thing because it triggers even more slippage! I only have 6lbs to go now. I need to update my ticker. Wish me luck and GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!
Shelley J.
on 6/4/08 10:46 pm - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Definately! - It is weird - - I hear someone making comments about fat people (I know they are horrible individuals) and I think "can't you see I am RIGHT HERE!" - and then remember - they don't know me that way - they don't realize there is a fat girl that ever existed in this body. It is strange. I still jump right in - mind you - and remind them they are being a$$es - but know it is a direct HIT on me. Speaking of "fat brain" - do you guys still look at food sometimes like you used to? Are there times you are sad (even for an instant) that you can't eat that pizza or have that hamburger (I MEAN REALLY HAVE IT - LIKE "DIG IN"). I still find myself wanting to enjoy the heck out of some food - but then I am reminded - OOPS - old life - try again. It has been tough to make the brain shift required on occassion. I always tell my family - they operated on my body - not my brain - and there are days I get frustrated with the mental shift that has not yet been made! Would I change my decision - HECK NO!!! Not for a second - it is just when I throw the pity party that sometimes happen... Can you relate?? Hugs to all! Keep rockin' that tool! Shelley J.
KimOT17
on 7/4/08 2:07 pm - Vestal, NY
I went and got a massage today. The massage therapist said that many people that have lost a lot of weight need to get massages on a regular basis so that they can have a better sense of their body awareness. She said often people still feel like they're fat. So....isn't that a great excuse to get a massage???!!!! :>) I'm having difficulty with eating bad food lately. I've been under a LOT of stress and find that I'm going for chips and my sugar free foods more often. I wish their was a surgery for my brain!!!
AngieB67
on 7/7/08 5:17 am - Bel Air, MD
Hmmm...that sounds like a great excuse to get a massage!! COUNT ME IN! I'm under a lot of stress lately too. Unfortunately, I have no appetite as a result and for a DS patient, not eating is NOT a good thing!
Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 734 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 757 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 706 views