10 day post-op: sharp pain under chest

Michelle S.
on 3/6/08 6:07 am - North Jersey, NJ
Hi All - I had lap RNY surgery on Feb 25th. Doc said everything went ok. Was discharged from hospital 2 days later & in minor pain, but nothing that I could pinpoint. Given prescription for vicadin for pain, but did not use at first cuz the pain was tolerable. On day 6 I started getting a shooting pain under my chest everytime I walked around (Im fine sitting & laying) - exactly where the incinsion was for the untensils. I started taking the vicadin every 4 hrs. It didnt seem to do anything. On day 8 I got nervous when that one shooting pain became non-stop whenever I started to walk around & called the doc. He told me to tighten my binder & use a warm compress since I was seeing him the next day for a checkup. On day 9 (yesterday), the doc removed all the bandages, said I'm healing perfectly & when I complained of the pain - he gave me a steriod shot right above that incision. Said I might not be drinking enough water, which I prob wasnt, and that a blot clot might have been forming. Said I should be w/o any pain by that evening. WRONG! the pain is the same as yesterday - I cant even walk around my living room more then 3 minutes w/o sitting down. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I expecting too much too soon? I will admit I am one of those with a pretty low tolerance to pain. -Michelle PS - I also posted this on the main board & then realized that you guys might be experiencing this more like me
Miriamgnz
on 3/6/08 11:50 am - NJ
I only experienced severe back pain, when i went to the doctor he said that it could probably be the drain. He took the drain out and the back pain was there for about 2 more days and then it was gone. Hope you feel better. You should call your doctor. God bless you, Miriam
SCushway
on 3/6/08 11:56 pm - Daphne, AL
I have been experiencing pain on the left side, but that is considered normal since that's where they do most of the work. Not sure what kind of pain you could be having in the center of your chest. I would call and talk to your surgeon's nurse about the pain you are having. I am sorry your dr didn't take it more seriously. By day 10 it should be tapering off not getting worse. Sandi 2/21/08
Desperately Seeking
Skinny

on 3/7/08 1:39 am - Kettering, OH
Michelle, I have definitely noticed more pain lately on my left side, around the incision where they do the most work. I figure it's just my nerves coming back. I hope you find out what's ailing you soon! Don't hesitate to contact your doc again if you don't feel better! Tracy
Miss_J
on 3/7/08 2:06 pm
Hi It is so weird my pain is all on my right side. I only had one incision on the left. I also had a drain and I was in severe pain. My doc took the drain out and now the pain is starting to get better. It is also all the air that they pump into your body. I had my surgery on 2-20-08. But I am not on any pain meds, but I still have pain. Just give it time. My pain tolerance is low also. J
hpayavis
on 3/10/08 11:46 am - PA
Hi I am three weeks out and have pain and swelling around my incisions I go to the dr on fri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Three Years!!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 1501 views
where is everyone
melswifey · 1 replies · 1211 views
Happy 2-Year Anniversary!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 852 views