My doctor said that I wasn't losing as much weight as I should be!

Rachel042
on 7/10/08 2:24 am - Inwood, WV
I feel frustrated and confused. My doctor said I wasn't losing weight as fast as I should be - my highest weight was 307 I am 5'1 1/2 inches tall- and now I weigh 245. My surgery date was 02/04/08. I just started being able to eat meat again-that wasn't shaved deli thin- or else I would get sick and couldn't keep it down. I still have trouuble with some things- but all in all I watch what I eat and eat small portions and I eat slow- - He did not provide me with any helpful tips - just stated that I was big to begin with and that I would always be obese- I want to cry- I went through all of this to get healthy- What can I do to lose the proper amount of weight-? What should I have lost-? I am more active now than I have been in years- Any suggestions would help- thanks
SCushway
on 7/10/08 10:17 pm - Daphne, AL
Sounds like somebody's Dr's got up on the wrong side of the bed. That wasn't a very nice thing to say to someone. So, maybe you haven't lost as much as HE would have liked for you to lose, but you HAVE lost a lot of weight. I am concerned that my Dr. is going to say the same thing to me next month. I have to admit that I haven't started an exercise program, which I know would help me lose more/faster. It's one of those lifestyle changes I know I have to make, yet continue to resist. Are you getting in all your protein? Are you following the 2:1 ratio for protein to carbs? I find that when I increase my protein and water and decrease the carbs, I lose more weight. Carbs are my downfall. But I am learning to just say no to them. I drink 2 protein shakes a day to make sure I get it all in. Have you tried the 5 day pouch test to get things moving again? I hear it helps jump start losses for a lot of people that aren't losing as much. Just take a realistic look at what you are eating and if there are any changes that you can make. If you are already working it as best you can, then maybe you are just a slower loser. There's nothing wrong with that. I wonder myself how much I should have lost by now too. I started at 258 and am now at 183. That's 75 lbs loss in almost 5 months. I personally think that's good, but I know there are things I "could" have done (or not done) that would have made that number higher. But I am still happy with my 75 lbs loss. Don't let his comments weigh on you too much. You are still much lighter than when you started. You are a wonderful person and didn't deserve such callous comments. Sandi 2/21/08 258/183/130
Rachel042
on 7/10/08 10:52 pm - Inwood, WV
Thank you. I will increase my protein and see if that helps. I will start doing the shakes - I did stop those- so maybe it will help. But, I have to ask - what is the 5 day pouch test- never heard of it? Your weight loss is great- an exercise program is a hard thing to get into- because of so many things- but once you do- you will love it- I admit right now I am just walking and I am going to get into some weights for strengthing my arms and legs ( you would think my legs would have great muscle from carrying all that weight- not) because I have no muscle tone or strength. Thanks so much for your response. I feel better now.
Tawmika
on 7/14/08 3:42 am - Houston, TX
OMG! I can't believe he would say that to you! How rude! Some doctor's have no bed side manners AT ALL! Don't you dare feel down and beat yourself up! I too had problems keeping my food down. Your weight loss will come in due time. All of our bodies are different. It doesn't matter what our chemistry make up is- WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. My advice to you and I am speaking from growing pains is to up your protein. Sean (my angel) shared that secret with me and it works. When I had my WLS (Feb 20th) I was 260 and I'm down to 192- I thought the weight wasn't falling off as needed. But after meeting with my doctor he said I was where I needed to be. So, again up your protein whether it's shakes or meat and I promise you will see results. I noticed you said you can just start to tolerate meats, try going to Smoothie King if there is one in your area and ask for the highest protein shake- but beware of the calorie content. And please keep your head up and remember you are the person that have to live for you. Don't let what others say get you down. T. Racheal
Renovatio
on 7/30/08 1:45 am
yea just bc your doctor says that doesnt mean its true. no matter how much weight ive lost so far obvi I want to lost as much as I can now each week and If I cant, I just have to remember that a little here and there adds up! I wouldnt worry!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Three Years!!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 1497 views
where is everyone
melswifey · 1 replies · 1209 views
Happy 2-Year Anniversary!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 831 views