all of the sudden getting sick

antsissy1
on 9/19/08 11:43 am - FL
It's been awhile since I have written for my husband Dennis and we have a question.
He just had his 6 month appt. last week and has lost 90 pounds. 
After this appt. he now can eat whole grain breads and pastas and fruit.  He hasn't tried fruit but seems that the whole grain pasta and whole grain bread (very very small amounts) are coming right back up.  He now seems to be getting sick alot from everything.  He doesn't eat meat. only fish and chicken and vegetables.  It was only 2 tries of bread and 1 try of pasta. 
Now nothing is staying down and he is very weak.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  He is restarting some protein drinks to get some energy and if it continues we will contact the doc.  Just wanted to see if anyone went through something else.
antsissy1
on 9/22/08 4:09 am, edited 9/22/08 4:09 am - FL
I guess most people don't have   (the same type of problems )since no one has answered.  I think we have realized that it is the whole wheat and whole grain.  No matter what it is he can't keep it down so we have eliminated this from meals for now. 
I was hoping that maybe it was a tolerance type thing.  I am in the process of submitting my paperwork to the insurance company so I hope that I am next.  I am trying to learn as much as possible through his problems so that I can help him and hope to keep my problems with food issues at a minimum. (Although after reading all of the forums, it is going to be unique to me).

Anyway, thanks for reading ths.
chris and dennis
Michelle A.
on 9/22/08 5:14 am - Lincoln, CA
Hi Chris (and Dennis).  I too have some intolerances.  I don't plan on ever eating pasta again so haven't introduced that but I do still get sick from certain breads and whole grains.  A lot depends on how much of it I eat and how dry it is....the most toasted and dry it is, the easier it is to eat.  For me any form of solid protein (meats, fish etc) sit very hard in my pouch and I can't tolerate having too much of it (although it doesn't come back up either).  I think some of the problem is knowing exactly  how much of something you can have and then stopping before you get to the point where you will get sick.  Dennis might want to try some softer proteins for awhile and forget the bread and pasta for now.  Pasta really doesn't have anything in it that our body truly needs and bread is similar (although I love it)  How about a high protein, sugar free yogurt with some high protein cereal?  How about some soy crisps (dangerous for me because they are TOO easy to eat).  One of my favorite things to get is the Starbucks Spinach Feta Egg wrap.  It is low in calories (250) and yummy.  Three months ago I could probably only eat 1/4 of it.  Now, if I eat slowly I can eat the entire wrap and it fills me up for hours.  It all takes time and experimenting.

Best of luck,

Michelle
antsissy1
on 9/23/08 1:18 am - FL
Thanks Michelle

He also feels he doesn't need pasta but he also LOVES bread.  But right now he is going to keep it out for awhile. He has been very fortunate in that up to this point NOTHING has made him sick.  Since he stopped the bread and grains he has stopped being sick.

we loved the video - congrats on your success and courage!
Michelle A.
on 9/23/08 11:06 pm - Lincoln, CA
Thanks so much Chris.  Yep, that bread is a nasty one.  I was a complete carboholic before surgery and I DO miss it but I am glad it makes me feel yucky....aversion therapy.  Tell Dennis he is doing great and to keep up the good work.

Michelle
SCushway
on 9/25/08 9:43 pm - Daphne, AL
I can't tolerate rice or bread.  Maybe one or two nibbles and that's it.  Rice and pasta expands once it gets inside you which sometimes causes problems.  I can eat small amounts of pasta. I, too was a carb-aholic prior to surgery and though I still ocassionally crave my carbs, I do okay without them.  I do miss eating bread, especially since my husband likes some type of bread or roll with his meals.  You are sooo right about aversion therapy.  Once you get sick a couple of times, you no longer want it.

Sandi
thlovelifeactstupidbehappy.jpg picture by mike2121_02

Tawmika
on 10/1/08 5:56 am - Houston, TX
So Sorry to hear about him getting sick. However, he is not alone. Here lately, I have NOT BEEN ABLE TO TOLERATE ANYTHING! I feel like my tummy is about to explode. I have been on the same eating pattern, for almost 2 months now and hadn't had the issues I am having now. I stay excuse my language full of gas! I'm almost living off gas x! It's like I really don't want to eat anything. I have cut back on my protein shakes, now that I can tolerate more foods. I guess I will have to revert back to soft proteins. I'm not a bread nor a pasta eater so I'm okay in those regards. I wish your husband the very best and know that he is not alone.

Tawmika
antsissy1
on 10/1/08 12:28 pm - FL

Thanks for the replies.  I think the gas thing goes without saying only being a "guy", it doesn't bother him!!!!  He has eliminated all of the whole wheat and grains for now and said that he hasn't been getting sick except when he eats too fast.  He is struggling with the carbs issue though.  He had a VERY easy 6 months, no problems at all so this is a surprise to us both that now things will happen. 
I am learning alot and am submitting my info to insurance company this week, so God willing I will get approved and can talk to you all for myself.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy Three Years!!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 1501 views
where is everyone
melswifey · 1 replies · 1211 views
Happy 2-Year Anniversary!!
Nicolle · 0 replies · 852 views