5 days post op pain

medic550
on 2/26/10 8:39 pm
Had rny on monday 22nd.  been passiing gas and burping.  feels tightness just below my rib cage.

I have roxicet but it just makes me sleepy.  All my lap holes look sunken in. 

Frank
chatterbox29414
on 2/26/10 10:44 pm - Greenville , SC
Hey Frank,

The gas was the most unbearable part for me to!  Also recognizing what in the world all the feelings I had in my pouch and belly were caused by.  For the first two weeks I had to experiment with everything and will admit that I had a hard time getting any protein in because it just plan hurt to drink.  The one thing I found was for the first two weeks warm felt the best.  It helped soothe my pouch and move the gas.  Colds cause me immense pain!  I am about four weeks out and once the drain was removed it was amazing!  I was feeling back to normal almost instantly. I could bend with no pain at all.  The other thing early out that caused me pain and gas was any protein supplement with milk products.  They made me so gassy!  But I was a little lactose intolerant prior to the surgery.  This past week I have been fine with them though they still cause a little gas but not the pain.  Hope that helps.

Becky
medic550
on 2/27/10 4:01 am
All im having right now is Water,( Room temp) chik broth and apple juice diluted with water.

No protien shakes til next wed.

Frank
Amanda C.
on 2/28/10 8:03 am - Bardstown, KY
Frank, try a little hot tea. I have about 5 boxes, but I have found that for me decaf peppermint tea helps things along immensely. After having about 1/2 a cup I was FINALLY able to pass the lower gas that had been building for days (lots of burping and hiccups, but no lower gas until today). The broth was OK in the hospital the first day then I was over it. My doctor cleared me to start protein shakes as soon as I got home and that has been a little tougher. They recommended (and this has helped a lot) putting the protein shakes in a sippy cup or a coffee cup with a lid to help with the scent sensitivity. And don't forget walking. I am three days out and walking about a mile. That definitely helps move the gas.

Hope that helps.

Amanda

mellyw
on 2/28/10 1:32 pm
Walk walk and walk some more. That's the only thing that worked for me. Yes, that pain can be excruciating but litterally and figuratively it shall pass and you'll feel like a new man. Take care.
Hey God, It's me Melly . . .

medic550
on 2/28/10 10:24 pm
yeah. im trying to walk.. I was supposed to have this back at end of october however i fell and dislocated my right knee. Tore 3 ligaments and a nerve. They are not repaired and had to be laid up between hosp and snf for 2 months. And with all the snow ive been stuck to house.

Frank
rich_in_nfpa
on 3/1/10 1:07 am - New Freedom, PA
Get up and move around as much as you can. I haven't left the house to walk either because I'd kill myself trying to get down my very steep driveway. I've just been walking around the house and was even able to go up and down my basement stairs the day I got home from the hospital. Getting on our feet and moving around does several things. It helps the gas pass and keeps the bowels moving, it helps prevent clotting (which can be fatal), and it helps keep our lungs open plus it actually helps us heal quicker.

It's not fun but it's important.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
mellyw
on 3/2/10 12:21 pm
Yeah, the weather this time of year is not great for walking.  I was actually talking about walking to the kitchen and back because God knows that's about as much as I could do until a few days ago.  Just standing up seems to help sometimes too.   
Hey God, It's me Melly . . .

bbmom
on 3/7/10 3:04 am - Varysburg, NY
I am at 10 days post op today and have had the same issues with the baaad gas pain- I moved to full liquids per my surgeon, and apparently the skim milk made everything inside VERY angry!  It took me 2 days of clear liquids (mainly water with a little broth & some plain crystal lite) to get it settled back down from the rolling and sometimes very sharp gas pains.  Yesterday I went back to clear protien shakes and today am on that and a little jello and no pains so far    so hoping to keep it that way!

So glad to hear some feedback from others at my stage that sounds similar to where I am at...was getting kind of worried!

I walk on my treadmill (slowly...) for 10 minutes at a time throughout the day, although the first week home I could only do some laps to and from the kitchen as well!  Hang in there!
Sue
   Century Club Member 8/13/10: 100 lbs gone!               
Goal reached 1/15/2011 ; Start weight 274: Current weight 125.4 lbs
Started size 24-26: Current size 4-6 new goal 126 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Our 2 year - we rock!
Liz R. · 3 replies · 1436 views
One Year. No Regrets!
Sunshine704NC · 1 replies · 1418 views
TIme is flying...
jstatum_05 · 5 replies · 932 views
Wow time goes by fast...
DreamComeTrue07 · 2 replies · 890 views