Anyone else really sick?

Amanda C.
on 3/16/10 11:05 am - Bardstown, KY
I am almost 3 weeks out and I did great for the first 10 days or so, had even moved on to soft foods (per doc's OK), getting all my fluids and protein in no problem. Then last Tuesday I started getting sick in the afternoons. It has progressively gotten worse so that I am pretty much queasy all the time (to the point that I have difficulty getting my fluids or protein in). My doctor's office suggested Milk of Magnesia at first. That didn't help, just loose bowels AND queasy. They believe that it is allergy drainage that is making me sick and I should just have warm liquids. But I can't do that all day long at work. Phergan doesn't work, Zofran doesn't work. I am now at the point where I am having to force feed myself between dry heaves so I don't go into starvation mode. The doctor has an upper GI scheduled for Friday "just to make sure", but he wasn't too worried about it.

Is anyone else going through this? I just feel so miserable. It is making me so emotional because I am SO tired of feeling awful all the time.

Amanda

jodiek
on 3/16/10 11:18 am
Hi Amanda,
Sorry to hear about the dry heaves and feeling sick all the time. I never had a problem like that...feeling sick all the time, I have problems with my gag reflexes. I can only lend you support that this feeling will pass. I know it sucks but our bodies are all built differently. Some have a lot of pain and some don't. Some get sick while others don't. Just hang in there. I know I have to take deep breaths and sip water for the dry heaves to go away. Have you actually tries to throw up. Sometimes that makes you feel better.

Good luck and congrats on the 48lbs!!
Jodie

rich_in_nfpa
on 3/16/10 9:27 pm - New Freedom, PA
I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, Amanda. My surgery was 2 days before yours and, so far, my recovery has been completely uneventful. I hope your doctor figures out what the problem is soon. In the meantime, keep yourself hydrated and get as much protein as you can. Let us know what the test shows & how you're doing.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Alice P.
on 3/17/10 12:41 pm
I haven't had the same experience but have had a nasty head cold for the last week which has made it really hard for me to function, it just overwhelmed me to be sick on top of recovering from surgery and dealing with my new way of eating.

What are you taking for the allergies?

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Considering_It
on 3/19/10 10:29 am
So sorry that you are having a hard time.  I hope that your doctor can figure out what is going on, and gets you feeling better soon.
fredrije
on 3/22/10 7:38 am - FARGO, ND

Hi! I am almost 7 weeks post op and haven't felt more nauseous EVER. It got to the point where my doc gave me a script for scopalamine patches (motion sickness patches behind the ear) They really help with the nausea but...dry out everything..my nose, mouth, ears, and eyes..its pretty weird. I was so sick of dry heaving..it hurt! So, the little side effects from the patches are worth it and I am finally feeling well enough to go back to work!

"The rest of the world lives to eat, while I eat to live."
Socrates

Amanda C.
on 3/23/10 1:31 am - Bardstown, KY
I know what you are talking about with the pain. My abdomen is killing me from the heaving. It has gotten where I actually have to sit on the toilet and heave into paper towels or toilet paper.

Dianna1964
on 3/23/10 11:13 am - Apple Valley, CA
I only felt the nausea when I was in the hospital. I had the dry heaves on the 2nd day after surgery & the smell of food made me want to puke. Even the day I came home I wanted to puke at the smell of food, but as the days & weeks progressed that all went away & I was feeling much better. I am now almost 2 months post op!!!
Dianna
jzsfreak
on 3/27/10 3:31 am
Hi Amanda,

I am sick too. I will probably have to have an upper G.I. next week. My surgery was Feb 3rd. No problems at all for the first few weeks, but now I'm throwing up almost every day. Not dry heaves, but I can't keep much down and now I'm pretty weak. They think I have a stoma or the scar tissue is blocking the entrance into my intestine of something. But, the positive thing about being a forced bolemic, is the pounds are flying off!! ha haaa But seriously, it's annoying and it's getting to the point where I have to pull over my car to barf.

How are you doing??

-Amara
Amara
Amanda C.
on 3/28/10 10:11 pm - Bardstown, KY
Ew. I had to have the upper GI. Nasty. But everything looked great internally. After doing a little experimentation with my food (with my dieticians knowledge), I have had 3 no nausea days! According to the dietician while it isn't common, they have seen people who absolutely cannot tolerate the things that are asking to put into your body right after surgery (protein, protein, protein, and vitamins). I need to put something in my ouch about every 2-3 hours and I am choosing whatever I think I might want at the time (within reason and as long as it is healthy and low sugar). For example, right now I am having Malt-O-Meal.

Amanda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Our 2 year - we rock!
Liz R. · 3 replies · 1436 views
One Year. No Regrets!
Sunshine704NC · 1 replies · 1418 views
TIme is flying...
jstatum_05 · 5 replies · 932 views
Wow time goes by fast...
DreamComeTrue07 · 2 replies · 891 views