BMI OF 40 WITH NO KNOWN CO-MORBITIES...AM I CRAZY TO HAVE WLS?

AILEEN S.
on 1/30/04 10:52 am - FORT BLISS, TX
I JUST READ THAT A BMI OF 40, THERE MAY BE MORE RISK OF POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS FROM SURGURY AS OPPOSED TO PEOPLE WITH A HIGHER BMI. THAT SCARES ME. I AM 5'6 AND 250. OBESITY RUN IN MY FAMILY AND I DON'T WANT TO WAIT AROUND FOR THE CO-MORBITIES TO START. I WANT TO BE PROACTIVE. ANY SO CALLED LIGHT-WEIGHTS OUT THERE THAT CAN CALM MY NERVES?
T C G.
on 1/30/04 11:01 am - Goliad, TX
can you share with us where you read this? Did they indicate why they believe this to be true? I'm just curious. Sorry I can't help with what you are trying to find out. Good luck to you.
AILEEN S.
on 1/30/04 11:10 am - FORT BLISS, TX
KIMMER K WROTE THIS RECENTLY IN RESPONSE TO SOMEONES POST. SHE HEARD IT AT A WLS SEMINAR SHE ATTENDED...
reenieb
on 9/24/06 3:56 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Aileen, I hope this note finds you well and healthy! The March 2004 Board needs your help. Please go to the Board and read the post, AND THE SURVEY SAYS, and PLEASE respond to it by answering the few questions. We really need to hear from you. Thank you! Maureen
JoyCook
on 1/30/04 11:49 am - Little Rock, AR
I am in a similar position -- BMI of 39. In the process of getting insurance qualified, I had a sleep study and was surprised to discover sleep apnea. I also have some degree of arthritis causing back pain which is aggravated by my weight. These definitely helped get insurance approval, but like you, I am mostly trying to improve my quality of life and prevent further problems. As far as extra risk, the immediate risk of surgery should be much lower for lightweights because incision healing is easier, and blood clots and heart complications are much less likely to happen. The only thing that I can even imagine to be a potentially higher risk would be greater malnourishment risk, i.e. can't stop losing when you should. This can be mitigated by a firm lifelong commitment to nutritional supplements and adequate dietary protein intake. Is there something else I am not aware of?
ItsThenewKelley
on 1/30/04 12:04 pm - Fall River, MA
I think you did what I did, misread it. Read it again like I had to do then you will understand...It got me thinking too...I am also a "lightweight" (5'6 and 250) Don't worry, I was told that we are lower risk because we don't weigh as much as others. The more weight the higher the risk (so I've been told).
ItsThenewKelley
on 1/30/04 12:14 pm - Fall River, MA
Here is what Kim stated- "Why do you have to have a BMI of 40 (or 35 with co-morbidities) in order to have the surgery?" My surgeon then explained that when you hit a 40 BMI, that it's a 50/50 chance that you'll either die from the excess weight (and morbidities) or could POSSIBLY have complications from the surgery - it's an even gamble. As your BMI creeps up further, the lesser the chance of of the complications from surgery as compared to the higher the chance of death/problems from your excess weight/morbidities. The higher the BMI, the higher the risk that you're going to have serious problems if you DON'T have surgical intervention. What I believe she's saying is, when you reach a BMI of 40 you are now at risk of dying from comorbidities or could MAYBE ("possibly") have some complications from surgery. And has you BMI gets higher, your chances of dying are much higher than having complications from the surgery... Do get what I'm trying to say? (I'm not that great at explaining things) All in all, your more likely to die from being overweight than from having this surgery........? get it? Kelley MARCH RULES
Karla K.
on 1/30/04 1:12 pm - Sunny, CA
I agree with everyone else... Just the risk of surgery itself is *the* risk. As opposed to not having the surgery would mean... No surgical risk. I have been told by my surgeon that my risks are far less than those with higher BMI simply because I don't have the actual comorbities I will heal better. That was one selling point she actually used to get my surgery approved. Don't panic! It will all be fine! karla in CA
Kimmer K.
on 2/1/04 8:59 pm - Waterford, MI
Thanx for the excellent interpretation, Kelley -- you nailed it! I apologize if I confused or scared anyone. That was just what was told to us at the seminar, and I thought it made a TON of sense. It certainly explained to me why the 40 BMI cut off. But that's me...I often see things differently than others. Bottom line is this: it IS a surgery, there ARE risks to any surgery. I've been thru several surgeries, and surgery just doesn't scare me like it does others. Living in daily pain for the rest of my life, possible disability retirement from my job of almost 20 years, having to give up the house I LOVE to downgrade to a smaller/more cost-saving house if I can't remain working, having to walk like a platypus every morning 'cuz my fibromyalgia won't shake out quick enough, eating handfulls of pills every day...THAT scares me. Surgery doesn't. Again, I apologize for any undue stress. Kim March Rules!
JoyCook
on 2/2/04 5:20 am - Little Rock, AR
Just curious... How does a platypus walk? Joy "Canary"
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years ... yesterday
mo21012 · 0 replies · 840 views
Ten Years Today
reenieb · 0 replies · 947 views
10 years
Virginia H · 0 replies · 652 views
10YearsToday!