Preparing my DOG for WLS

JoyCook
on 2/2/04 9:55 am - Little Rock, AR
I just realized one thing I need to do this month before surgery. My Maltese weighs 12 lbs (at least 3 lbs overweight) Because she is so fat, she has trouble getting up into my lap. I just realized that I won't be able to lift her for 6 weeks! But if I put her on a diet now and she loses below 10 lbs, I can lift her (and she might be able to jump up into the chair on her own!!!) How's that for the strangest surgery prep? Anyone else doing anything bizarre getting ready for this adventure?? Joy "Canary"
meanie0312
on 2/2/04 1:15 pm - New Albany, IN
I dont have anything bizare yet but I had to get a recliner and get rid of my couch.. one of my friends said it was easier to sleep upright instead of trying to get in and out of a bed after surgery.
Kimmer K.
on 2/2/04 7:20 pm - Waterford, MI
Aaaaah...another doggie mommy! I don't have human kids, just my VERY overweight Basset hound, Nada, and my svelte/lanky Plott hound, Lambie-pie. They're my 'girls'. I've got two 30-lb. bags of their food set aside for the first few weeks I'm home. Making arrangements for them to be taken care of has been the most difficult: my best friend, their "Auntie Lois", was supposed to be out of town for my surgery 'til my surgical date got changed. Now, since my date changed to March 9th, she'll be taking care of them - she always has. But it was getting frustrating trying to figure out who was gonna come to my house and 'dogsit' for a few hours every day. I, too, got a recliner, but it was by sheer happenstance: my sister's elderly neighbor went into an assisted living center, and left it behind. It's not only a recliner, but one of those that "pushes" you out/stands you up when you get out of it. I guess geriatric patients usually use 'em, and I grabbed it, gonna give it to my friend's mom when I'm done with it. I've also been lifting 6-lb. free-weights while sitting and/or watching TV, etc. Someone told me that you have to use your arms in order to get out of bed, etc, and it made sense to me, so I've been doing that, too. I do have one dilemma: I have waist-length hair, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it while I'm in the hospital. I usually wear it in a french braid down the back of my head or else in a top-knot with the end hanging out (like a bun with a waterfall-ponytail thru the middle), but I've read many gals say NOT to do anything in the center of your head 'cuz it'll kill your head during surgery. Thought 'bout french braidS (two), like pigtails, but, like, ICK!!! Any suggestions? Kim March Rules!
ItsThenewKelley
on 2/3/04 3:44 am - Fall River, MA
The only thing that I've been doing is "nesting" I can't seem to stop the cleaning...I make sure that every room is Kept spotless, even the kids rooms. I already have some kind of OCD with cleaning , but, man this has gotten bad! Everytime I walk by the windows I "straighten" the curtains. This needs to end! I was supposed to get a recliner from my cousin a couple of months ago when she gave me a couch for my computer room, but I haven't seen it yet...If anything, I'll have my husband rent one for me and make sure its here for me when I come out the hospital. These days seem to be going by rrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy SLOW! And I don't like it! Kelley MARCH RULES and us "MARCHERS" Rule even more!
JoyCook
on 2/3/04 10:09 pm - Little Rock, AR
Wanna come over for a while? I haven't summoned the energy to "nest"!!!! Joy "Canary" 3/1
Kimmer K.
on 2/3/04 11:56 pm - Waterford, MI
Kelley, you just HAVE to stay away from that tea. Put the cup down, and step back from the table. That's it...now walk away...good girl... Actually, I'm thinking I might just need to fly you in for a few days within the next few weeks. I have a plaque hanging outside my door that I made years ago that says "When entering this house please remember: you may touch the dust, but do not write in it. Martha Stewart doesn't live here." Newcomers to my house always crack up when they read it... Kim March Rules!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years ... yesterday
mo21012 · 0 replies · 842 views
Ten Years Today
reenieb · 0 replies · 949 views
10 years
Virginia H · 0 replies · 655 views
10YearsToday!
wlsurvivor · 2 replies · 794 views
9 years plus 1 day
pammy157 · 0 replies · 778 views