Wow- 7 years!

Robert A.
on 3/11/11 8:08 pm - Parish, NY
Hello-

Just for those who wonder where others are at:

Started at 308 lbs. at the highest, lost 102 lbs. after RNY surgery.  Weight stabilized in 6 months at about 225.  Held there about 5 years, then started gsining.  Today I'm at 270.

Bad:  Still am mostly hungry, which I really had come back at about 2 years.  Occasionally try to lose weight but it's near impossible, same as pre-op.  Still get full on small portion, but seriously hungry again in a couple hours.  Trying hard to lose 20 lbs. by my 50th birthday 6/17.  Further complicated bt Rheumatoid Arthritis- frequently I get through my workday and just stay in after due to pain and stiffness.  Meds help most, but not all the time.

Good:  Had no complications day one to today.  Healed and lost super-fast and easy.  At 206 I felt I was too thin; 220 felt perfect.  Would be thrilled to get to even 250 and hold.  Overall am still in good health, good blood pressure, cholesterol, no sugar, heart issues, etc.  Other than RA, no issues.

I don't regret for a minute having the surgery.  Gave me several good years.  And, I believe my weight would have kept climbing had I not done it.  And, I'm still almost 40 lbs. below my high.  Would I recommend it?  Absolutely.  I thought about contacting the Dr. that did my surgery to see what they think, and if they have any plan for long-term patients.  Still deciding whether to bother; I'm betting there's no answer.

I am hopeful that I can re-lose some, but if not I can accept where I am knowing I've done my best.  I had not thought of this forum in some time, but received an automated anniversary e-mail, so here I am.

God Bless us all!
wlsurvivor
on 3/13/11 1:57 am - Marshall, VA
Great to hear from you, Robert!  There ARE things your doctor can do to help you!  He can give you a drug called Topomax to cut the appetite and help you to lose weight and you may need a revision to your stoma that could help you, too.  So much has been improved on in 7years!  It may be worth a visit!

Great job and good luck!
Karen
Robert A.
on 3/13/11 1:20 pm - Parish, NY
Thanks so much for your response!  Your advice is much appreciated.  I will call this week!

As I said, if I stay here I'll be OK with it, but your post has encouraged me that there may be a bullet or two left in the chamber in this fight.  I'll post back when I get information.

Again, thank you, and God Bless!
Bob
reenieb
on 3/18/11 5:39 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Robert, oh my gosh - so good to hear from you again. And boy, do I relate to what you're going through! Although my weight gain has been no more than 20 lbs. thus far I am STARVING all of the time, the hunger just never, ever abates; well, immediately after eating but I would say a half-hour later I'm out of my mind with hunger. All the doctors are dismissing this - it's in my head, even my surgeon. But I will not give up trying to find the answer to this! I've worked way too hard for way too long to give up now! You too, my friend. You CAN do this - even if a pound every couple of days - that's what I'm doing and feeling so much better. Just tell yourself, "It won't go up again. I'll stay the same or inch down; but I will not let that number on the scale go up againl." Only you know how you have to eat, and whether or not you are taking good care of yourself with the food choices you are making. But I am so with you on this. And I so appreciate your post because people either tell me I'm being negative, or it's all in my head! I'm a very positive realist - and I know something is going on. And I'll figure it out, I promise you that! Stay in touch, I'd like us to help eacfh other. Take care, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Robert A.
on 5/20/11 10:44 am - Parish, NY
Geez, two months since you posted, and I just now looked in.  Not very good manners!

Anyway, I did contact the center that did my surgery.  Talked to the head nurse that was there when I had mine, whom I really like, and she remembered me!  Told her what I wrote above.  She said she'd just about guarantee my pouch has not gotten bigger, it's just a diet problem.  She said to make an appointment and they'd have me do a food diary again and go from there. 

I know I can eat a heck of a lot more than I could early on.  I still don't understand why it worked so well early on, but not now.  To tell me nothing's changed except my diet is just plain not true.  If I go too long without food, I end up weak and jittery and useless.  Before the surgery it wasn't like that- I'd just get tired.

As things stand now, I feel pretty damn good.  I'm strong, active, and still can work 70 hours if needed.  I'll be 50 next month and can run circles around most guys 10 or 15 years younger.  My body still can carry my Type A personality without much trouble  I do hope to still figure out how to lose some, since it's always a good idea; plus we have a current government that cannot contain it's disdain for the overweight, and who knows what that will lead to.  So I'll look in when I think of it; meantime I'll keep right on going, as my son says, like my hair's on fire!  Best to you reenieb, and thanks for responding!

P.S.  I did check the "Notify me when someone replies to my post" box, but apparently it doesn't work

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years ... yesterday
mo21012 · 0 replies · 842 views
Ten Years Today
reenieb · 0 replies · 949 views
10 years
Virginia H · 0 replies · 655 views
10YearsToday!
wlsurvivor · 2 replies · 794 views
9 years plus 1 day
pammy157 · 0 replies · 778 views