newbie needs help w/self esteem

--AMY--
on 5/29/08 8:18 am - WA
I am a new member so bare with me. I have been browsing the WA March 07' forum and am so much more depressed than when I started. Everyone else seems to have lost so much more weight. I am 313 pnds now and was 376 when I had surgery. I have only lost 63 pnds in over a year. 40 of which I lost on my own before I could be approved for surgery. I am disappointed and embarrassed. My Husband has all but admitted he hates talking about it with other people because they ask him, instead of me, if I was supposed to have lost more weight than this by now. He also recently told me he was embaressed by me still not losing more weight. He was so supportive in the beginning but is fed up with me now, i hate it. I thought i'd lose about 100 pnds within the first year and then be thin enough to really be able pump up the physical activity. My depression over the whole issue has escalated to the point where I dont want to leave the house and I find myself eating agian. Im scared because i've already gained 13 pounds back in the last 3 months. Is anyone out there going/gone through this. Please tell me im not alone.
Christmasgirl
on 5/31/08 9:02 am - ID
Did you have gastric bypass? I'm no expert, but there had to have been some mistake during the surgery. What did your surgeon say?
David S.
on 6/5/08 12:22 am
Amy, Chin up! 63 lbs is alot of weight. I was 350 when I started this journey, and know that losing 63 can make a big difference on being able to do exercise. I'd say your step is clear.... you should get a doctor's clearance to increase your exercise and then go for it. You also likely need to have regular follow up with a nutritionist and keep an honest food journal of what your eating. If you're depressed, it's possibly leading to increased caloric intake, which isn't going to help you get where you need to go. For most of us, depression is a picture of our initial weight gain. It can also be a bit of the picture as to why you're having trouble losing the weight. I am no expert on depression, but I know I had alot of issues post surgery that didn't seem to be weight related. I found I couldn't find my "balance" until I addressed them. Another possibility is that you have another medical condition that is keeping you from losing weight as quickly. It might be good to have your thyroid checked out. Another factor is what type of surgery you had. Your profile doesn't say. Most of the "quick" losers in the first year had RNY. Lapband is supposed to be slower, but isn't always the case. You need to stay positive, and be as active in your lifestyle as you can! You're starting the right steps by being honest with yourself as to where you are, and being committed to meeting your goals. Your husband doesn't have to be on board with your plan.... the more important thing is that you are moving toward a healthier lifestyle, regardless of what the scale reads! Take care! --Dave
Most Active
Recent Topics
Where is Everybody!
LMILOW · 2 replies · 849 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 732 views
Gaining weight?
boomer65 · 3 replies · 1040 views
Second Band-aversary!
LoriPA · 1 replies · 766 views