March postops, what you eating?

jewels72nd
on 3/20/09 5:38 am
Ok, Marchers, I'm 10 days out and wondering what everyone else is eating/drinking?  I'm having a hard time getting down liquid protein, and any and all liquids feel like they sit right in my throat, whereas yogurts and puddings seem to sit better.  Anyone else have this problem?
liab5
on 3/20/09 5:59 am
hi  jewels72nd!- i had my RNY on march 2nd! - i am right there w/ ya! - same w/ the protein! - it kinda grosses me out! r u having any problems gettting in your liquids also? my mom made me some homemade cream of brocoli soup (very puree'd sp?) which has saved my life! - if i eat cottage cheese and applesauce 1 more time!!aaaaahhhhhhhh!!  i am really looking forward to advancing to the next meal plan! i never have been a yogurt or pudding or jello type of girl, - so i am struggling a little!

i have been getting dizzy when i stand up- anyone out there w/ any thoughts? protein? - slight dehydration? your tips, comments wld be helpful! - it is a challenge-- but i am up for it!! i have already lost 27lbs! keep your head up jewels!!! u can do it!!
jewels72nd
on 3/20/09 3:11 pm
I get dizzy too!  Yeah, we can do this!
shoregurl
on 3/20/09 8:25 am - toms river, NJ
I'm almost 3 weeks out and I'm eating baked potato, chili and cottage cheese still. I just have to remember to take really small bites, eat slow and make sure it's well chewed. I forgot a couple of times and it was NOT pleasant.
 Shannon  

Amy N.
on 3/20/09 2:21 pm - Casselton, ND
Hi Jewels!

I just found something new and it is VERY good!  It is like yogurt, only a bit thinner.  I think it falls into the "smoothie" catagory!  It is called Keifer.  I found it in the "organic" section at Hornbachers in Fargo, however, I think it can be found other places too!  11g of protein per 8 ounces.... that is pretty good when you are struggling!  Also, another that I liked was Campbells bean and bacon soup or split pea and ham... I just made sure it was mushed to liquid in my mouth before I swallowed!  Oh yeah!  How about protein Jello!  This is soooo good!  I make sugar free orange jello and mix 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder with it!  Follow directions on the box, however, mix the protein powder with the cold water and then add to jello.  It does seperate a bit, white on bottom, orange on top.  It tastes like a dreamscicle!  I also topped it with light or sugar free cool whip. This worked really well when I just "couldn't" eat.  You can also mix chocolate protein powder in with instant chocolate pudding.... just imagine the combinations of flavors! 
Another little trick I had was to take my cottage cheese and mix with a little mashed or baked potatoes.  Just added a different flavor... I was sooo sick of yogurt and cottage cheese!

Hope some of this helps!  My surgery was 1-6-09 and I am currently down about 50lbs!  Hang in there.. it gets better every day!  My days are still getting better too!
Amy

if you don't change what you've always done, you're going to keep getting what you've always gotten
Emily C.
on 3/20/09 6:41 pm - Claremore, OK
I had my RNY on March 2. I am still eating soft foods for the most part until I am 4 weeks out and then I can have a little more substantial stuff. I guess my favorite thing right now is refried beans or egg salad.  I am able to get my protein in, but I am having trouble getting all the fluids in. I am working on it though.
emily

BobF4
on 3/20/09 8:08 pm, edited 3/20/09 8:09 pm - Rochester, NY
Right now, I am on a pureed foods phase, until I see the nutritionist at my bariatric center on April 14.  This means I, too, am stuck with pureed chicken, turkey, fish (don't have to puree if its flaky enough), cottage and ricotta cheeses, 1% milk (with 1/3 cup powdered milk blended in for more protein), mashed potatoes, and canned peas, carrots, and beets, if they are well cooked.  Oh yeah, also having the SF jello, pudding, and yogurt.  The only fruit I am allowed to have is one banana, if it is ripe, and mashed up.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  --  Lao Tzu
                    * Surgery date - 3/2/2009!!!
Highest - Current - Goal
--406--------258--------?

Jennie M.
on 3/21/09 5:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
Another one simply on full liquids til the end of the month. At this point, I am drinking protein shakes, s/f pudding (I don't want to see Jello anymore after 3 days of it in hospital), yogurt and that's it for now.  I did make a chocolate with banana shake today - was at least a nice change from the usual chocolate shake.

I really am looking forward to some purees - apple sauce and mashed potatoes sound soooooo good right now.

Urban Poling Instructor, 5K runner & soon to be CanFit Pro Personal Trainer
HW339/Lowest Wt 175/CW210/GW175  Plastics done (TT & BR) 8/31/10

jewels72nd
on 3/22/09 2:01 am
TOTALLY agree with you on the jello!  I don't care if I ever eat it again after the hospital!  Good luck!
Nan2008
on 3/21/09 7:14 am - Midland, MI

Hi~
My surgery was March 9th and I just had my follow up visit yesterday.  I am allowed three 'meals' per day which consist of 2TBSP of protien and a side which is 1 tsp of veggies.    I can eat FF refried beans, egg salad, lowfat cottage cheese, high protein mashed pototates.

I am having such a hard time getting all of my liquids in.  I don't think I'm hitting the 60-70 grams of protien yet either.   This is harder than i thought getting all of your protien in for the day.  I am so tired of the protien shakes!

Nan

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1066 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1093 views