What am I doing wrong?

trisu
on 7/21/09 10:57 am - IL
 I'm starting to feel a little down. My surgery was on March 2 and I'm about 4.5 months out. I am now down 61 pounds. Even though I'm feeling really good, I feel like I should have lost more. I spoke to my surgeon and he said I needed to up my calories from 800 to about 1200 a day while I'm working out. I did that and I am taking in more water and still it's going very slow. The first few days of that I dropped a few pounds right away, and then it stopped. I feel like I'm never going to reach my goal weight and I'm going to be stuck here forever. Any advice/suggestions? 
*~Toni~*

almondsoylatte
on 7/21/09 12:38 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
hey hey,

whats your protein intake like??

and what are u doing while working out?

-am
trisu
on 7/21/09 12:52 pm - IL
Usually 65-80 most days. I do 3 miles four times a week. Speed walking/jogging. Weights as well. What do you think?
*~Toni~*

almondsoylatte
on 7/21/09 1:01 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
i think thats flippin awesome!

ok so i saw my dr today and told him how ive only been losing 1-2 pounds a week for the past few weeks. he said if i wasnt losing anything at all then he'd be concerned.

have you spoken to your dr or nut about this? i think your protein intake sounds awesome, and so does your gym training , except my dr told me not to start weight training till i was 6 months + out and to focus on cardio for the moment.

i hope this helps. my suggestion is to get an appointment or atleast get perspective over the phone! 
Melody L.
on 7/25/09 10:55 am - Keizer, OR
I had surgery just a couple of weeks after you, on 3/17 and am only down 49.4 pounds since surgery (also lost 22 pounds before surgery, so a total of 71.4 pounds).  So I think losing 61 pounds sounds awesome!  They say that the "average" weight loss (although in my opinion from reading what people tend to lose I think it's actually a bit lower than average) is 20 pounds the first month and ten pounds a month thereafter, so you are above the average with your weight loss, even if only a little bit.  

As for what surgeon's recommend, they are all different, as my surgeon's office said to be active but not get my heart rate up to aerobic activity until we can take in enough calories to not end up burning more muscle.  They want me walking, being active, building muscle (so weights/resistance), but not doing aerobic activity until I can increase my calories higher, otherwise we will lose more muscle will just slow our metabolism in the long run.  But like I said, they all recommend different things.  It sounds to me like you are doing great!

~Melody~  5'6" Tall, 42 years old

SeaCordWay
on 7/28/09 10:46 am
Did they test you for sleep apnea? It can keep you from losing weight.
trisu
on 7/28/09 11:15 am - IL
 No, I don't have sleep apnea.
*~Toni~*

siberiancat
on 7/29/09 5:23 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I don't know your starting weight or your height, but I'd trade weight loss with you.  I lost 18 pounds before surgery and have lost 46 since surgery.

I'm only 5 feet tall.  I get in 80-90 Gm of Protein daily.  I eat 4 ounces at each meal.  Usually get in 120+ oz of fluids and get all my supplements in.  I started taking probiotics after reading a thread on the RNY forum about 4 days ago.

I walk for 20-30 min 5 days a week and ride exercise bike 5-6 miles every night.

Guess I just lose more slowly.  It can be dangerous to compare to one another.  We are each so uniquely made.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Sneezy
on 8/2/09 2:30 am - Fayetteville, NC
Everyone loses at different rates.  You are doing well, and continue to lose, so I wouldn't look at it as doing anything wrong.  Between my hypothyroidism and more stalls than I can count, I am only doing an average of 11 pounds a month so far, am considered a slow loser, but my surgeon is happy to see it and actually warned me before surgery that she expected me not to be one of the quick losers and figured it would take me more than the one year mark to get to goal.  Think of it this way, prior to March would you ever have imagined losing 61 pounds in even more than 4.5 months?  Celebrate the good side of it and keep it up instead of focusing on the negative.  It can be hard when you come on here and read of others who are losing faster, but everyone has different starting weights/heights/and different bodies which all react differently to all of these changes.  Congrats on the 61 pounds, that must be making a huge change in how you feel these days :-)
~Saprina~
Married 19 years to the love of my life, and now getting to enjoy that life with him so very much more!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Almost 4 yrs - Checking in
Chootles · 2 replies · 1067 views
Happy third surgiversary!
BobF4 · 2 replies · 1093 views
2 years Post Op
Brittnie S. · 0 replies · 955 views
Success?????
viar · 5 replies · 1049 views