I'm already packing my bag...

Lelia
on 3/8/10 3:13 am - Suffolk, VA
Surgery date is March 25.  All i's have been dotted and t's crossed I hope.  A tad apprehensive but looking forward to feeling better!

CHYNALYZ
on 3/9/10 5:39 am
I also had my bag packed a week ago. As if my water were to break and I needed to go in early.. It's all the anxiety... Congrats on your surgery date...

HW 250/SW 249/CW 147/GW 140

laura_vermont
on 3/9/10 10:30 am
Just got my date today... so, what did you pack?  I heard that baby wipes and chapstick were a must... what else?
KarrieMassotti
on 3/9/10 11:34 am, edited 3/9/10 11:35 am - Kent, WA
Congrats to you all on your new life about to begin. Pretty funny that you are all packed already. I thought I was anxious.

Bring a pillow for the car ride home. Bumps/potholes can really hurt without the pillow and you will need it to hold against your incisions if you cough.

I packed a ton of stuff I didn't need. I was told to bring nightgown and slippers but used the ones from the hospital, as long as it all goes well (which is more than likely) you will be out of there too fast to worry about fashion statements.

I was also advised to bring chewalbe gas pills or gas-ex strips, but my hospital didn't allow them and provided gas stuff for me. check with them first to see if you should bring it. The gas pain was the worst. It settled in my left shoulder and hurt like I had slept crooked on my neck for quite a while that first night.

I did find that a book was helpful. The time between waking up and discharge was a long wait. It depends if you plan on staying overnight or not.

Discount code for OH Conference MassottiWA11
OH Support group leader.  Check out our group: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/SPS/

CHYNALYZ
on 3/10/10 8:29 pm
So far I have in my bag, and I say so far, cause it seems like I find something else I may need in the hospital.. LOL

I packed my own PADS, hospital pads are antique... I packed some tampons, in case I am able to use them. I hear that one may get their cycle due to the stress endured during surgery. I also packed some, femine wipes. It's bad enough getting your unexpected friend and probably unable to shower. Chapsticks, carmex and even vaseline cause not sure what I want to put on my lips.I've packed underwear, a robe (was debating between my snuggie or robe and decided to go with the robe) a nightgown, and some pajama pants and shirt. I don't know what will fit more comfortably, so I packed them both. My own slippers. I also have gas-x strips, i have a sudoku book along with a crossword puzzle book, but not sure that my brain will be alert to concentrate, but just in case I am prepared. Now the most important things are the chargers for both the IPOD Touch, gives me internet access to OH and FACEBOOK via wifi and small enough to keep under a pillow, (the nurse at pre-admission testing recommended we dontbring laptops) and for my cell fone, cause texting is a lifestyle.. LOL

If you think that is a lot, you should see my pantry. I acted like the supermarket was going to be sold out of baby food, protein powders, isopure at Gnc, and chicken broth and soup. I have so much sugar free jello that I started sending my 6 year to school with jello as her snack, cause i went overboard. I'm not even on a liquid diet until the day before surgery. LOL I guess shopping is therapeudic and calms my nerves.  And I wouldn't say that I am nervous, just anxious. I can't wait to get this procedure done., It's like the ultimate gift and an opportunity to regain my life back.

HW 250/SW 249/CW 147/GW 140

KarrieMassotti
on 3/11/10 3:38 am - Kent, WA
all great stuff, but don't forget the pillow for the car ride.   Seriously,  you will need it more than anything else.   : -) 
Discount code for OH Conference MassottiWA11
OH Support group leader.  Check out our group: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/SPS/

katr1nka
on 3/12/10 5:53 am - Huntsville, AL
:), I packed a whole bunch of stuff too, but the only time i needed any of it was while I was waiting to go back to surgery (about 3 hours).  The rest was literally a blur.  A pillow is a good idea, but just have whomever is taking you home keep it in their vehicle. 

Oh, and for those of you that are buying stuff ahead of time, be careful how much you buy.  I stocked up on jello and chicken broth before surgery, and the day before that's all I ate, now I can't STAND the stuff, even the sight of it makes me sick to my stomach.  Luckily my kids will eat what I didn't.
Christine1959
on 3/12/10 11:50 am - Indianapolis, IN

Hi Lelia,

My surgery date the 17th and I am packing this weekend.  I am sure that I would have already packed but I have been working alot of overtime getting ready to be off work.  I know what you mean about apprehensive! I am not looking forward to being on clear liquids Mon & Tuesday!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Christine

"You always pass failure on the way to sucess" 
                             ~Mickey Rooney

bigbounce
on 3/13/10 5:29 am - Jersey City, NJ
Congratulations to all on the new surgery dates. I recently had my surgery, I spent most of my time sleeping! I brought all my essentials i pod, book, toiletries, I was not given the ok to shower until the day I left.  

Depending on the pain meds you take, some will make you very very sleepy

Good Luck

L
modelbehavior
on 3/13/10 10:32 am - Smyrna, GA
I see I am not the only one that is super anxious. Congrats to us all. My surgery is 3/24! I am soooo ready!

I haven't packed yet, but I did make a list.
Modelbehavior....    
HW 256 /SW / Dr. Goal My Goal 155 / Height 5' 11.5"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Searching for Obesity Doctors
programcop · 0 replies · 744 views
How's everyone doing?
Justine L. · 5 replies · 995 views
Leg Pain
Danielle M. · 6 replies · 856 views
Struggling
swisspal · 4 replies · 1152 views