Surgery this last monday

katr1nka
on 3/12/10 5:48 am - Huntsville, AL
Hi Everyone!

Well, I went through my surgery on Monday.  It went well and I was out of the hospital in 24 hours!  The things that were kind of scary to me were, I was VERY nauseous and I had a lot of dry heaving, the worst part though was the headaches from the dry heaving.  I believe that was just the anesthesia, by Wednesday I was pretty much over all of that.  I've been living on popsicles and water, my husband bought me the Edy's Sugar-Free popsicles, they're wonderful!  I can't stand the thought of jello or chicken broth, and juice just doesn't seem enough.

Do any of you understand this clear liquid stage?  I have this book that I got from the doctor that says I should be taking in these "fluids" every 2 hours, but then it says only have up to six meals a day.  I'm thinking they refer to anything that is no****er to be a meal, but I'm not sure.  

Oh, and what about pain?  I feel no pain (other than gas, which is horrible!), someone told me that it takes a couple of weeks before that kicks in, don't know?

Also, have any of you gotten any guidance on sleeping meds?  I want to take something OTC but I don't know what's allowed at this stage.
bigbounce
on 3/13/10 5:26 am - Jersey City, NJ
Hey there

congratulations on the success of your surgery.  I had my surgery on 3/10
which procedure did you have done?
I imagine that sleep aids are ok, as long as you crush them

L
murphy10
on 3/23/10 1:47 am - Hamilton, Canada
Congrats on your surgery.  I am just starting the journey so have a ways to go yet until my surgery date.  One thing that is good for sleep but non addictive is dramamine (travel sickness medication).  It is also good for nausea but of course you should ask first to make sure it's on your doctor's approved list.
Jp2lose
on 3/13/10 7:40 am - Omaha, NE
Hi katr1nka!  I had my surgery on Monday as well.  I do not have to do a clear liquids diet, in fact my doctor wanted me to eat a bite of something before I could leave the hospital!  I ate a bite of an egg and it tasted horrible. 

I also had terrible dry heaving all day and night on Monday.  I finally insisted they change my meds then things settled down.  I'm conviced it was the morphine because I was better as soon as they stopped giving it to me.  I have 0 pain now except when I'm drinking.  I can litteraly feel the liquid move from my thoat to my tummy.  DId you get to see you barium swallow? I couldn't believe how small my new tummy looked!

Were you told how many ounces of liquids to get in a day?  I think mine was a minimum of around 40 or 50 ounces and there is no way I can do that.  I drink 1 ounce of water and I feel stuffed!

My dr. gave me RX pain pills, so I assume taking a sleeping pill would be ok.  I take it your having a hard time sleeping.  I've had a hard time getting to sleep at night, but only because I've been taking a nap in the afternoons.

Good luck!
Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Searching for Obesity Doctors
programcop · 0 replies · 743 views
How's everyone doing?
Justine L. · 5 replies · 994 views
Leg Pain
Danielle M. · 6 replies · 856 views
Struggling
swisspal · 4 replies · 1152 views