Protein drinks

irol770
on 4/22/10 2:11 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
How many protein drinks / shakes do you guys consume in a day or in a week?  Do you still use them regularly? 

I don't and I'm afraid that I'm messing up because of that.  I try every couple of days to have one.  Sometimes it takes me 2 days to finish one shake.  I really dislike them and I don't like drinking milk and it tastes godawful with water.

Can anyone tell me why protein is a huge focus now?  Why should it differ from the amount of protein I was eating before surgery?  I don't want to not follow the rules, but I'm trying to find a happy medium I can live with.

I have purchased unflavoured to add to foods, but if I add more than a tblsp I can taste it and can't eat it...so that only adds 5 gms of protein.

Any insight?
Glitter Text Generator

Mary A.
on 4/22/10 6:06 am
How many protein drinks / shakes do you guys consume in a day or in a week?  Do you still use them regularly?  (I do (1) shake per day and that adds almost 38 grams of protein to my day

I don't and I'm afraid that I'm messing up because of that.  I try every couple of days to have one.  Sometimes it takes me 2 days to finish one shake.  I really dislike them and I don't like drinking milk and it tastes godawful with water.  (you really need to find one that you can tolerate, because protein is crucial especially in the first 8 months or so, for several factors..primarily because you need protein for your organs to function well adn also to possibly reduce your hair loss)

Can anyone tell me why protein is a huge focus now?  Why should it differ from the amount of protein I was eating before surgery?  I don't want to not follow the rules, but I'm trying to find a happy medium I can live with.  (remember what you used to eat before... a hamburger, eggs, large pieces of cheese, 3 chicken legs, possibly skin also...all those items you cannot eat the amount of anywhere near what you ate before, also your body does not absorb as much of the protein as it once did)...

Protein is required by the body for the growth, maintenance and repair of all cells.

Protein is a major component of all muscles, tissues and organs and is vital for practically every process that occurs within the body such as metabolism, digestion
and the transportation of nutrients and oxygen in the blood.

It is also necessary for the production of antibodies, which fight against infection and illness, and is the main nutrient that keeps our hair shiny and healthy, our nails strong, our skin fresh and glowing and our bones strong and healthy.

source http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/protein -guide.html

I have purchased unflavoured to add to foods, but if I add more than a tblsp I can taste it and can't eat it...so that only adds 5 gms of protein.

you just have to grin and bear it..I usually make myself a protein shake for breakfast...I put in two tablespoons orange juice, a small banana and 3 ice cubes, put in the blender and then put it in a travel cup (as not to smell it)...and it's usually gone within a 10 minute drive.

Any insight? (not to freak you out...but truly..it's something that you HAVE to do..one way or another..and there are a lot of ways you can incorporate protein (whey powder)...into yogurt, coffee, cottage cheese, and you can even put it in your baking.. it's not easy and especially not at first..but you can't give up....it is now part of your life....

at a  year post-op....I still do my 1 protein shake a day...and if I am not eating dinner with the family because they have chosen fast food, then I iwll make myself another protein shake for dinner.  You simply cannot get enough protein, from eating, especially at the stage you are in at the moment...

hope the insight is somewhat helpful

irol770
on 4/22/10 9:51 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
Thanks Mary.  All of that makes sense to me.  The thing is I didn't eat that much protein before.  Sure if I made a steak, then I had a huge amount of it...but that wasn't that often.  I generally skipped breakfast before and for lunch would sometimes have salad, usually something carby, and occasionally something with protein.  So I know I wasn't eating much protein on a regular basis before the surgery.  I guess I was just wondering why it would be more important after surgery than it was before.

I have tried lots of kinds of protein...and they all have that protein smell and protein after taste.  I try to tolerate it and have been trying to get it down.  I usually mix one package with more milk than I should because I need to dilute it some...and then sometimes I can't drink it all in one day.  But I will try harder to get more of it in.  I guess I better buy some travel mugs.  :)
Glitter Text Generator

Danielle M.
on 6/7/10 5:47 pm - Vilseck, Germany
Lori--I hear you--I struggle to find a good protein shake...I have tried 5-6 different types with no luck.  One good option is to get a "sampler pack" from one of the bariatric eating companies online-- I just ordered one and it has 6 different flavors so I am hoping one is good for me.. I was also considering buying some protein "shots" that are like 2 oz of liquid with 30 g of protein in them.  I think even if I can't choke down a whole shake I could remember back to my college days and down a shot :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/10 10:49 am - Clarksville, TN
I don't do shakes very often. I do get most of my recommended 60-80 grams in thru food (I add cheese to everything!). But sometimes I have to add one of those bullets with 26 grams. But I cannot handle most shakes.  I did try the Nectar brand ( I got samples for $2/each at vitalady.com) and they weren't too bad. The fuzzy nabel and the twisted cherry were favorites of mine. You can also try those Special K protein waters. They have very little calories.

When I had a 2 week stall in weight loss early on, the first thing my NUT and bariatric nurse asked was what my protein intake was like. It is really important in keeping your metabolism from slowing down.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Searching for Obesity Doctors
programcop · 0 replies · 744 views
How's everyone doing?
Justine L. · 5 replies · 995 views
Leg Pain
Danielle M. · 6 replies · 856 views
Struggling
swisspal · 4 replies · 1152 views