Alcohol consumption

Bertha A.
on 10/16/06 2:40 am - Santa Ana, CA
Hello everyone. This past weekend I was stopped for Driving Under the Influence. I only had a few drinks. I was at a friends Bachelorrette party and was driving home. My question was if anyone feels their body asbsorbs the alcohol differently than a non surgery person. I felt I was fine but the breathlizer (??) said otherwise. It was a very embarrassing moment and I am very responsible of my actions so I will do and take matters into my hands for this to never to happen to me again. Please give me any feedback if you feel or if there is any information out there that would help me understand. Thanks!!!
Bama Beach Girl
on 3/13/07 1:37 am - some where, AL
I know your pain... email me privately. gail
kaydeeann
on 4/12/07 5:40 am
Hi, We were told in our pre-op meetings (2002) that since our new stomachs would cause malabsorption, we would process not only food but alcohol differently than "normal" persons. The alcohol goes directly into our bloodstream. And, one drink for us is equal to two for "normals." So, a "few" drinks would probably mean "many" drinks for us. So, just be careful, as I'm sure you now will be. I'm four years out (April 6, 2007), and do have two glasses of wine on occasion...but that's it. God Bless. Karen
bleever
on 5/31/08 5:15 am - FL
I know this is coming in a 'little' late, however. I RARELY drank before the op... about a year out, cull pain, I realized I was drinking like a sailor. I can drink a 750L of white zin and be a TAD drunk, so I dont know about everyone else, but my stomach like the strangest things: Popcorn, orange juice, wine, beer, snow-pea pods. Frankly it hates the normal foods, I get sick almost every time and I am 5 years out. Back to the drinks: Most everyone else I know who has this done, DRINKS or pops WAY to many pills! We would told pre-op not to drink, eat sweets, or binge eat.... who knew they were writting my daily dinner menu for me? LOL Weight is still good... pre- ( top 411) post min 118lbs, current ( for last year or so) 140 Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 2:05 am - Plano, TX

I realize that this post is quite old, but I read it and had to pipe in.  There are many articles out there about alcohol consumption and WLS.  Doctors are warning people to limit alcohol intake because we don't metabolize it like a normal person.  5 oz of wine put you over the legal limit.

Now I'm going to speak from experience and I hope you listen.  Don't just limit your alcohol intake.  DON'T DRINK AT ALL!!!  One of the things that can happen is "addiction transfer."  This is where you used to be addicted to food, but now you've replaced it with the next best comfort, which is alcohol.  I've been married for 27 years.  I have four grown children.  My husband is the most wonderful man that ever lived and I was looking forward to spending the rest of our lives as empty-nesters.  Last Saturday he told me to leave after a major drunk binge the night before.  He'd had it and was done with me.  I am living alone now and my husband is hurt and wants a divorce.  After watching me get drunk ever weekend for the past two years, he finally said enough.  I am praying that we can work it out and he doesn't divorce me.  But right now he only wants to be friends.  I am 46 years old and never had a drinking problem before.  I don't crave it, but once I start, I can't stop and I get black-out drunk.  It has cost me my beautiful home and my family.  My kids won't speak to me, and my husband is gone!  It's not worth it!

Please say a prayer for me and don't EVER drink again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Surgery Weight Gain
PA F. · 2 replies · 1103 views
StomaphyX
CFR · 0 replies · 834 views
Alcohol consumption
Bertha A. · 4 replies · 1031 views