Please Help!!

athomas8413
on 5/22/08 12:14 am - Montgomery, AL
I had gastric bypass surgery on 4-15-08. Everything went great and there were no complications. All my life I have had irregular periods, and last year I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. On Tuesday my period came on and all day Wednesday I was deathly ill. There was nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and I ached from head to toe. I felt as if I had the flu. The cramps were excruciating and I had a low grade temp of 99.5. I was in bed all day. I couldn't get any liquids or meds down, and I didn't even try to eat anything. I woke up this morning feeling a little better, but I am so weak and am experiencing a strange indescribable feeling in the pit of my stomach. Also, I am Bipolar and I think my meds may need adjusting. I have been "goin off" on everybody I know. This is so unlike me! I'm just about ready to check myself into the nearest psych ward. Is this what I have to look forward at every menstrual cycle? Will I suffer a mental breakdown because of the surgery? Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
LauraCLT
on 5/22/08 4:41 am - Newbury Park, CA
Hi Andrea, I am so sorry you're going through this! I have had a hysterectomy, so I can't really offer any advice. But I think you might want to RE-POST this on the "main" message board tonight. There are lots of people out there who might be able to respond to your situation. Good luck, Laura
Elisa D.
on 5/22/08 5:15 am - PINELLAS PARK, FL
I agree with Laura M! I am bipolar also but I am on menopause so my period days are over. I think this is serious enough that you could send an urgent post!! You don't want to fool around with chemistry and hormone levels! Sorry Elisalu!
zlynnc
on 5/26/08 11:46 am - BEAUFORT, NC
Andrea, There are several folks here that are Bipolar and your meds need adjust for the first year. It is a fact that females store alot of hormones in our fat cells and during the first 6 months of rapid weight lose these hormones are dumped into your blood stream and mood swings and depresseion are common. Not all doctors explain this. Your periods may get heavy also as your weight is changing. Mine have. SOme days it is like I just bleed out than nothing. I notice that the farther out I got I only lost weight during my monthly time. You will need to talk to your doctor and let your family know that this is all part of it and you will get straightened out in time. Keep it in your head that this is what the issue is, it is not you. When you get angry or depressed remember in six months and and than a year you will be a much different Beautiful person!! Take a deep breath when the anger comes out and remember it's happening because your body is dumping fat along with all those extra hormones you don't need? Try taking walks when the anger builds up. Keep taking your vitamins and exercise. Vitamin defiecencies can lead to mental issues also. It helps with all around mental well being, promise. You will be fine!
athomas8413
on 5/26/08 12:43 pm - Montgomery, AL
Thanks for the advice.
Kathy D.
on 5/27/08 1:36 pm - KY
Darlin', I am NO doctor, but I've been trying to get my body adjusted to my psych meds after my RNY. I find myself a bit shorter tempered and at night I have a strange sensation similar to 'coming out of my skin'. I don't know what's causing that, but I know that the more I exercise the less my emotions are out of control. I truly hope you're able to find some relief. Maybe your body is ready for more of a challenge? I wish for you the VERY BEST. Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1007 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 731 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 939 views