platoes how to overcome

DMkoeller
on 12/2/08 1:06 am - North Pole, AK
I have been at the same weight for the last three months how can i over come and continue to loose weight and get to my goal.
AndreaC
on 12/2/08 8:52 am - NJ
Hi, plateaus are the pits!  I had my RNY 2 days after you, so I know what you are going  through.  My surgeon told me October that I would lose another 30 lbs over the next 12 months.  I've lost 13 of those already.  While I'm happy about the continued loss, it always makes me crazy when I hit a plateau.  The way I work through it is just common sense: I shake up my exercise route.  I dropped the yoga classes and added cardio kick boxing, really intense workout.

Exercise has really replaced food in my life.  Don't get me wrong, I still get cravings, it's just that I get so energized from the exercise, like a runner's high, that I don't find myself thinking about food as much.  I'm lucky that most days I can spend 2 - 3 hours a day for 5 day/week at the gym.  I do weights, treadmill, stationary bike, Zumba and the kick boxing.

Are you exercising, drinking your water, getting in your protein and supplements???  Really important.  Keep in mind that the human body regulates itself very well.  When one loses weight, the body reacts by slowing the metabolism.  Once the body stabilizes it allows us to start losing again.  Also, the closer we are to goal weight, the slower it gets.  Please don't get discouraged.  It will happen for you, shake up your exercise, your food, try some thing different.
Good luck, Andrea
ginawins
on 12/6/08 4:08 am - Las Vegas, NV
I feel your pain.  I too have been the same weight give and take a few lbs for the last 2 months.  This is very annoying I mean how the heck could our bodies stall this long with the kind of low cal. diets we have.  I do notice that if I cut to practiacally no carb I can get on the losing side but I can't withstand that long term.  My body doesn't seem to tolerate carbs at all.  I am going to talk to my dr. and start looking into carb burners if they feel it would be safe and helpful.  I know there is a new drug coming on the market for diabetics that malabsorbs carbs.  Don't get me wrong.  I am so pleased with my progress in 5 mos I lost 86 lbs but nothing since.  I have gone from a size 26 to a 14 and am very grateful, I LOVE my RNY but I am ready to get the rest off.  I am very happy that my weight stablizes and look forward to that but will really appreciate in 30-40 more off lbs.  Gina  : )

welcome_to_the_weteos.jpg image by CCRHdirty_birdie_sm.gif picture by CCRHqueen_bee_gina_small.gif picture by CCRH

nascar24n48
on 12/8/08 5:35 am

I break those plateaus with liquid protein for about 3 days.  Works for me! I actually do this about every two weeks. I read its like shock on your system and keeps it guessing so you dont "bottom out" with slow weight loss.  It has sooo worked for me.

Now, dont kill me!  Promise now before you read the rest.  Promise.... Ok, so I don't exercise. My treadmill has sat accumulating dust for the last 8 months. Walking to and from the parking lot to my classroom is about it and I do park at the end of the parking lots and walk the distance. Yes, I eat carbs and pasta is still my downfall. But, I usually average close to 100 grams of protein a day. Slacked on that a bit the last two weeks and was closer to 80 grams.  
I was 242 preop and weight 146 today.  I am 5'4, was a size 22 and am comfortably in size 6's and some 4's.  My 8 month surgiversary is nect week, December 16th. Want to be at 145 sooo bad.

doreenh
on 12/9/08 7:26 pm - Meredith, NH
Do you just have liquid protein or is it in addition to your food?  I'm starting to lost very slowly, 6 pounds last month and so far only 2 in the last 3 weeks.  I'm getting frustrated I had hoped to have a normal BMI by Christmas.  Do you know how many calories you are eating daily?
Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1007 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 731 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 939 views