8 month reports now due!!!

nascar24n48
on 12/11/08 3:22 am, edited 12/12/08 3:35 am
So I am a teacher and your "8 month  reports are now due" on the April 2008 forum.   :)  Where is everyone at 8 months out?  Please post an update here and update your pages so we can see how we all are doing.

I started out at 242 preop and am down to 145.  I am a shorty at  5 '4. Gone from a size 22 to a size 6.  I can even get into some size 4's.  Surgeon seems to  think I am not done losing yet and can lose for another 4 months.  I must have look at him like he was on drugs because he then said I could get down to 130 maybe even 120.  Ok, I am thrilled with where I am right now so anything from here on out is a bonus especially since I dont exercise.  I mean zero exercise. Yeah, I know not good.   I also found the pleasures of wheat things. Bad choice as I managed to eat an entire box one weekend. Needless to say I havent purchased any more.  If they arent there I cant eat them!  (Who was doing that confession of your sins post anyway? Seems I have been absent from confessional!) 

I was such a slow loser the first 3 months which are supposed to be the fastest weight loss period. But at 4 months l learned a little secret. My secret ... I upped my protein to 100 grams a day as suggested by someone on the board who said something about insulin resistance/carb resistance. I did it at 4 months out and the weight literally started falling off! 

What are you doing thats working for you? Whats not working? Lets hear it!  Head over to the April 2008 board and post your "reports."

azreggie
on 12/11/08 7:23 am, edited 12/11/08 7:25 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks for starting this thread as I'm sure that I can't be the only April b'day who is wondering how everybody else is doing.  My weight loss has slooooowwwed down quite a bit.  I am hitting the gym 4 times a week and doing crunches, squats and weights at home.  I try to mix it up by going bowling sometimes or doing a salsa or belly dancing video.  I am officially "Overweight" now, as opposed to obese and morbidly obese. That's a good deal.  My Dr has lowered my blood pressure meds to the lowest possible dose , so maybe I can get off those soon.  I'd still like to get off the cholesterol medicine, but that will have to wait for my 1 year check up.  I weighted 291 when I started this venture, wearing a 26/28 top and 24 pants.  Now I weigh 185 and fit into a XL shirt and I fit into a size 14 jeans!  I'm thrilled.  They are real zip up pants and don't kill me when I sit down at all. I feel GREAT!  I just wish I could hurry up and get rid of this last 35 lbs. I guess I'm learning patience.
Peace, Reggie

Reggie

ladychief231
on 12/11/08 8:28 am - Douglassville, PA
Hi Everyone,

My starting weight was 268 pounds and I was wearing a 3X or 24. My weight now is 189 and I'm wearing a size 16 and large tops. I started out losing 10 pounds a month, at 6 months I lost 8 lbs, last month 7 lbs. I feel that I have been a slow loser compared to other reports on the forum. I exercise 4 times a week sometimes more. My protein comes from food. I do add unflavored Protein to some food items but I've not had a shake in some time. I might try a day or two of shakes to see if the weight loss increases. I'm not real good at drinking enough water.

I still have a fear of sugar so I've not tested my tolerance which is a good thing.

I feel great and folks are telling me I look great. I have about 50 pounds to make goal. I'm hoping to make the 100 pound loss for my one year anniversary.

Best wishes to the rest of you April posters.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

tiggrpt
on 12/11/08 11:15 am - Sabattus, ME
Hello fellow "Apriler's".
I, too, am a shorty at 5'2". I started out at 259 last year at this time. I am now down to 122, 3 pounds below my goal (still have 12 pounds to reach my nuts goal, but that probably isn't gonna happen until some of the skin is gone!  ha)   I've gone from a size 26/26 pants and tops or 3xl tops down to size medium tops and size 6 pants.  This has been an incredible journey!  My BMI now puts me in the "normal" range for the probably the first time in my life!  My high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, knee pain and everything else is now resolved.  I am dealing with an ulcer right now, but I'm hopeful that it's healing and will find out for sure next week with a follow up endoscopy.  I exercise, usually, 6 times a week doing cardio and weight training.  I usually get all my protein from my food and haven't had a "shake" in quite some time.  Overall, I am feeling great and lovin' my RNY!

What an incredible journey!!!!

Thanks for starting this post!!!!
Peace!
Ruth

Ruth                  "It's never to late to LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!"

doreenh
on 12/11/08 6:49 pm - Meredith, NH

It's hard to believe it's been 8 months already.  The morning of my surgery, I weighed in at 280lbs, this morning I'm 167.  113 pounds gone.  I was a 26/28 I'm now in Lg shirts and 14 pants.  I can wear some 12's.  All my weight is in my belly, so hopefully that will get better.

I have less than 5 lbs to lose and I'll be "normal". I don't know if I'll ever feel normal.  I still feel like a fat person, but I know that takes longer than taking the weight off.

The weight loss has really slowed down.  The last 2 months have been about 7 lbs each, and since the 1st I've lost 3 lbs.  I'm starting to get a little frustrated.  I know that as I get closer to the end it gets slower.  But boy do I miss the 2-3lbs a week losses.    I do know that some of it's my fault.  I'm starting to eat things I would never eat before.  The good thing is that I'm able to control portions, like .  I really feel miserable if I even eat a little more than my pouch likes. 

Like Kim, I'm not an exerciser.  I have joined a gym and go once in a while. I'm switching to one in January that offers classes.  I think i will like that more. However not going hog wild with the exercise was intentional.  I didn't want my body to get used to exercising 4-5 times a week and then when I don't the weight would come back on.  I'm planning on using my exercise as a maintenance tool. 

I have not regrets about having WLS- It has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. 
I'm even become "girly"
Here's to the next 8 months!!

nursesarah
on 12/12/08 5:20 am - CA
bobbi4231
on 12/13/08 5:34 am - Villa Rica, GA
Hi April Sisters!!

I too had my surgery 8 months ago, and feel great and loving every minute!  My surgery was 4/2/08, and I weighed 240.  A few months prior, I was in the 250's.  Now I weigh 150, and I am
5'0", although one doctor's office shows 4'11".  I am in a 12 petite, and previously was in a poured into 2X and 3X.  My family took pictures last Thanksgiving and Christmas, and when I compare them, I am amazed.  I still think I'm looking at another person when I see myself in the
mirror.  My doctor said 140 would be fine for me, but I think I will probably go lower.  I don't exercise either, and feels guilty about it, but I do try to stay active.  I have a hard time getting my protein in, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks, and good luck to all of you.

jefflaura
on 12/14/08 1:31 am - Zeeland, MI
Happy surgiversary to us!!!  Congratulations to everyone!  Super losses!

My highest weight was 250.  Day of surgery 238.  This morning 128.  I am 5'4 3/4" tall.

I am absolutely thrilled with my progress and met goal at 133.  I am doing whatever I can to not go under 125.  It's hard to maintain.  I can't believe I just said that.  LOL :-)  I have basically given up sugar and try to stick to all natural foods from the earth.  I just started seriously weight training and know that I have to keep my calories up to maintain.   I am in a 4,6 or 8 depending on brand.  Much better than the 22/24 I was at the beginning of my journey.

My friends have new respect for me when it comes to meal planning as none of them understood the drinking rules.   I am greatful for that because I am sure there were a few of them who thought: "Easy".....

I am not on this board often but came across it again today and am very inspired by everyone and interested in our timeline together.

Enjoy your journey!

Laura

5' 4 3/4"  HW/250   SW/238  CW/120  GW/133

~ Robin ~
on 12/16/08 8:26 am - Muskegon, MI
My weight on Christmas of 2007 was 435.5 lbs.

My weight on my day of surgery (4/28/08) was 375 lbs.

My weight today is 261 lbs, for a grand total (so far) of 174.5 lbs! 

Life is great!! Today, my hubby and I went to the mall and I had absolutely no problem walking from one end of the mall to the other... testing out the ellipticals and treadmills in Dick's Sporting Goods... then walking back to the other end of the mall again. No feeling out of breath, no sweating, no back or knee pain!! (Then, I hit 4 or 5 more stores not in the mall!) 

Yesterday, I saw my family doctor for a procedure on my toe. She was just thrilled with my success so far, and told the student interning with her that I was her "poster child" for successful weight loss. She has been amazingly supportive of my decision, and I am so thankful for finding this doctor. I hope to lose at least 65-70 more pounds. I am trusting that my body will know when it's time to stop. But, it made me feel good to have my doctor tell me that she considers this a success already, because I have added many years to my life and I KNOW I am happier than I have ever been in my adult life, so I suppose she's right!! 

- I will learn to let go what I cannot change, but I will change whatever I can. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Have you taken your vitamins today? 

carolinern
on 12/19/08 6:56 pm - Toledo, OH

I have made it to the eight month mark.  The time has gone by so fast.  I am pretty happy with my progress.  I am down to 213.6#, (that's 130.4# down since surgery).  I am still looking forward to the day that I am below 200, then ultimately 170#.  Then I can hope to see 150 (I think).  My hunger is starting to creep back on somedays and that does scare me!!!  I have not done this to only go back to where I once was.  I have to admit that I could be exercising a lot more, but sometimes I just don't have the energy to do that after working my 12 hr shifts at the hospital.  I still see the "circus fat" girl when I look in the mirror, but I know there is a difference.  I have run into some past co-workers who haven't seen me in a year or more, and they were very suprised at the difference in me.  The loose skin is starting to bother me more, especially the panni area... I just hate it...period!!  I do love being able to walk into any store and be able to buy stuff off the racks.  I have definitely been hitting the clearance racks when I have been out shopping.  I am down to about a size 20 pants, and 1x shirt.   2 pairs of jeans that I bought for vacation this past August have made it into the goodwill pile, they were practically falling off; what a great feeling!!!!  Until next time....

MY JOURNEY BEGINS...

Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1002 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 728 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 938 views