Need info on Percentage of Body Fat

nascar24n48
on 1/28/09 9:51 am, edited 1/28/09 1:17 pm
Help! I need info from my WLS peeps about Body Fat. I went for my 9 month post op visit yesterday. I get called back to visit my friend "the scale."  It didnt used to be my friend but I love it as it is actually nice to me now!  Knowing at home (butt naked) my scale is reading 136.5 I felt pretty confident getting on the surgeons official scale. So clothes on and shoes off I eagerly jump on! Scarry huh!  137 it reads. 105 pounds down!  That I already knew and its great as I started at 242. Then the nurse gives me a little statistic that I didn't know previously.  "Your percentage of body fat has dropped from 49 percent, (the look of shock I sure startled her as much as it did me to 5 percent."  It literally took me a good 15 seconds to think about it. I asked her to repeat it. I double checked the height she put into the scale. Asked how it computes the body fat. She said something about a charge or something it send through your feet, thus no shoes, and does the computations.  She said twice that it was accurate.  Holly crap!  I knew I was fat but I hadn't known much less visualized that half my body was fat.  Then I got to thinking about the 5, yes five, percent body fat.  Wow! That was impressive to me and I admit I dont know a whole lot about percentage of body fat  but even to me that sounded really impressive!!!  Let me remind you, I DONT EXERCISE.  I do upwards of 100 grams of protein a day + my supplements. I walk quite a bit during the day at school for my job but thats it!  So my homework tonight is to find out from my WLS peeps and educate myself on what the body fat percentages in gastric bypass patients. What's normal for WLS patients that are at or near goal weight? Anyone with any info please chime in!!!

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

nascar24n48
on 1/28/09 12:01 pm, edited 1/28/09 1:14 pm

Added after receiving lots of great Personal Messages tonight from my WLS friends. Now wondering how readily accessible scales are that measure body fat. Going to see my PCP and hop on her scale that also calculates body fat through your feet like the surgeons office does!  Going to compare numbers on both of their scales for accuracy. Might even hop on over to the nutritionists office for a third scale "opinion."  Also going to call Dr. Suh's office to see what my & was at my 6 month visit.   

I am so glad the increased  protein is working for you guys like it worked for me.  It soo jumped started my very slow weight loss. I am eatting 3 meals, 2-3 protein shakes,  am drinking three 32 ounces glasses of water (in addition to my protein  drinks) a day to get my 80-100 grams of protein a day.  Surgeon says the extra protein is what keeps the muscle from breaking down and forces the body to burn fat.  It’s working for me.  My surgeon is happy, my PCP is happy, most importantly I feel fantastic, labs are great, I get lots of compliments on how healthy I look and how great I look. I have tons of energy! Loving life!  I hit goal and am maintaining with zero complications. Whoo Hooo! Thanks again for all your positive comments and helpful info!

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

Californiagirl20
on 1/28/09 12:54 pm - Irvine, CA
That's sooooo AWESOME! Congrats to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1003 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 729 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 939 views