x-post One year surgiversary and a message of gratitude!

pilotadelcielo
on 4/16/09 4:11 am - PA
Hi folks,
First of all, I must apologize for not posting anything about myself on this web site.  I'm a victim of the horrible experience of identity theft.  I hope this never happens to any of you, but if it does, you will understand how protective you get with your personal information.

At my initial consult, my surgeon told me I was on the low end of the patients she did surgery on from a BMI perspective, so I had no real goal in mind other than to become healthy and follow the post surgery recommendations as best I could and see where this journey would take me.

I stopped losing weight eight months post op with a loss of 92 lbs. from my high weight.  I've not lost any more weight for the past four months.  I became very concerned about this "plateau" as time went on.  I was following all my surgeon's recommendations from daily exercise to weighing/measuring, protein intake, vitamins......you know the drill. 

So today, one year post op, I submit to the reality that this is where my body wants to be and I am comfortable with it and very grateful for the progress I've been blessed with!  I have had a near perfect post op recovery experience.  According to the people who know and care for me, they say I look good.  It's great when someone you haven't seen in a while doesn't recognize who you are.  All my comorbidities have disappeared.  I'm off all meds and the CPAP is packed up and put away.  Physically, I'm in better shape that I have ever been in my life.

I can't take any of this progress for granted.  Although my food intake is by no means perfect, I need to pay attention to it daily and make adjustments by recognizing when it's head hunger calling me.  After experimenting with going back to a food related 12 step program, just for today, I seem to be doing ok by attending an occasional meeting and reading some of the program material daily.  Daily exercise is now a part of my life.  I walk two miles a day.

Every day I check into the OH forums.  I'm a "lightweight" by the forum definition.  It's a very friendly and supportive place to visit.  For some reason today feels like I'm celebrating a birthday.  In a sense I am.  I've been given a second chance to live a new life one year after my RNY surgery.

So I'm very grateful to all of you for the contributions you have made to my progress on this journey.  I have gained an immense amount of knowledge, insight and support from you sharing your experiences, not to mention a few laughs.  I'll keep you in my prayers!
Blessings,
Ron
carolinern
on 4/16/09 6:53 am - Toledo, OH
Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about your identity theft... I can't even imagine the hassels you had to deal with!!

Congrats on your surgerversary!!!  Sounds like you have done great!!!  Keep up the good work!!

Caroline
MY JOURNEY BEGINS...

henrywb
on 4/16/09 11:05 am - Pottstown, PA
Hello Ron and congratulations on your success!

I'd be interested to learn more about how you benefited or not from the 12 step program.

Henry

Port repaired 6/16/2010 weight that day 270
pilotadelcielo
on 4/17/09 10:39 am - PA
Thanks Caroline and Henry for your good wishes!  WOW, Caroline, 152 pounds in a year.....incredible, congratulations!
Blessings,
Ron
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1007 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 731 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 939 views