Remem

stargazerdiana
on 5/5/11 12:06 pm, edited 12/18/14 4:01 am

Dw

Emily F.
on 5/13/11 11:17 pm
I sure enough remember you sweetie!!! I'm so glad you are back. I've wondered about you. Channel is on fb and the main board the most.

There is a girl on the ds board facing the same surgery. Would you like to talk to her? She had the same testing done. I'm sorry you are facing that.

Kayla B.
on 5/13/11 11:56 pm - Austin, TX
Hey there Diana,

Emily alerted me to your post.  I have had extreme constipation issues for about 2 and a half years.  I am 3.5 years out from my DS and they began after losing all my weight.  I was diagnosed with colonic inertia following a colonoscopy last March.  I realize NOW that this is a misdiagnosis (in my case--not in yours), but I lived with the diagnosis for at least a year.  My sitz markers passed after 2-3 days, so definitely not colonic inertia.

I can tell you in all my research about it, I never came across anyone that regreted the decision to remove their colon.  If the motility in your rectum is adequate, you can get a subtotal colectomy, which will still preserve your ability to have a bowel movement normally.

I would urge you to get complete testing on the motility and muscle tone of your rectum and pelvic floor to make sure that you will get a good outcome from the subtotal colectomy.  The test to measure this is called an MRI defecogram and a radiologist will watch to see how well you are able to expel contrast medium from your rectum.  Yes, an awkward exam, but it was the exam that finally diagnosed me with pelvic floor prolapse and a rectocele and the results have been extremely helpful since having it done.

If you're not ready for such a drastic step, there are a few more things you can do, but based on the severity of your condition...I'm just not sure you're going to get enough of an improvement.  First, you can, of course, try the whole host of non-stimulant laxatives and pharmaceuticals that are around.  Misoprostol is a med I have taken (and still take) which is supposed to increase muscle contractions in the colon, especially in the left side.  Amitiza is the Rx strength laxative that some people like.  I apologize, I'm sure a lot of this is old news to you.  I bet you have tried many things.  You can also try biofeedback to see if you get an improvement.

Chronic constipation is no fun at all.  You will feel so much lighter and have more energy afterwards.  The stretch receptors in the colon are being activated and they can depress your appetite, and make you feel very sluggish.  Plus, having so many toxins in your body for such a length of time can increase your risk for developing colon cancer.

I would at the very least meet with a colorectal surgeon just to see what he says.  It's not a guarantee that you get forced into surgery, but it can at least give you some information to help you make your decision. 

Good luck, let me know if you'd like to chat at all.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
boomsheeka01
on 5/18/11 1:10 am - Killeen, TX
Hey there! Glad your back and doing well!  :)
   Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Blue_Rattie
on 10/9/11 4:17 am
Just wanted to see how you are doing now? Did you have that surgery?
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

stargazerdiana
on 10/9/11 6:09 am
I did have my large colon removed on June 7th, 2011. I am down to 105 pounds and a size 2 and 0. There isn't a road map for me. I cannot find 1 person that has had WLS and their large colon removed. I fight to keep my weight at 105. Everything I eat passes through within 3-4 hours and is only as digested as much as I chewed my food. I do not absorb nutrition or my vitamins. I get anemia and have fainted twice and am very lightheaded when I stand up. It feels like I get up and leave my head behind and I have to hold on to anything I can to keep from passing out.

The RNY diet and the diet for colon removal are opposite. What you can eat on one you cannot eat on the other and visa versa.

All the water I drink passes straight to my small intestine and I go 20-30 times a day with explosive watery diarrhea. Imagine having to clean the toilet every time you go. Also if I plan on leaving the house I must do it in the morning before eating or drinking. The first time I eat or drink starts the daily cycle of going.

I  dump much more with the two surgeries and it is worse. I am tired, weak and fatigued. I am in bed by 8 pm. The other day I cried and cried because I don't want to feel like this. I gave in to feeling sorry for myself for the first time. I even think sometimes the colon surgery has marked the end of me and that I will never be well again. It's hard not to be able to share that with anyone.

I have had a difficult time with my children. They don't like that mom is much smaller than they are and criticize me for being thin. They can't understand I am not this thin on purpose.

My WLS and Gastric Surgeon both told me things will be more complicated for me. I am trying hard to work around the issues. I went out of town and was not able to eat until 3 pm when I returned home. I did drink water and that made us have to stop 4 times each way for a 2 1/2 hour drive. I went 5 times in an hour and a half at my in-laws and have to carry wipes to clean their toilets. When they heard I was making my first trip out they wanted us to meet them at Bob Evans and I told them I could not eat until I got back home. My father in law said I could go and watch them eat or stay at their house. They don't get it.

Well that is about it. I don't know where I fit in.

Diana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 863 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1195 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 972 views