Recent Posts

Emily F.
on 6/21/11 12:11 pm
Topic: RE: Is the honeymoon over?????
Up the protein shakes and see if that helps.
Pam211
on 6/1/11 11:48 pm - Lexington-Fayette, KY
Topic: RE: Is the honeymoon over?????
I'm right there with you!!!  I have only lost 2 lbs since February 22nd, and even at that I am still bouncing between the same 5-7 lbs.  I feel like I am eating way too much, and nothing I do seems to be working anymore.  When I had my one year checkup she told me that I was not finished, like you....hoping things kick back in soon!

Tina B.
on 5/23/11 10:17 am - LOCUST GROVE, GA
Topic: Is the honeymoon over?????
At just over 1 year out from my RNY, I'm down about 120 lbs (give or take 3 lbs either way)....the weight isn't coming off now...I'm in the gym 3-6 times a week, walking and weight training.  I'm down from a size 24 to a 12 (which is cool-don't get me wrong)  but I still need to lose 25 lbs.  Any suggestions?  I'm eating 4-6 times a day, which works for me, small mini-meals, yogurt-peanut butter on crackers-no bread-chicken-tuna-beans-boiled eggs... I have stopped protein shakes, never really depended on them, just couldn't get them down. 

Any suggestions for kick-starting the weight loss?  I'm scared to death of streching my pouch....I am still struggling with head hunger vs real hunger...I'm from the deep south and it's hot, staying hydrated is a daily issue, when I want to turn up a 20oz drink and I can't.....I still feel like I'm eating & drinking all day.....I still struggle with not drinking while eating a "meal", I just need to hear from others to make sure I'm on track...thanks for any help!
justmealso
on 5/19/11 6:29 am, edited 5/19/11 6:31 am
Topic: RE: So very sad. Lost more weight on my own, then w/surgery
I know just how you feel.  I lost all my weight before surgery.  I had no limitations or restrictions after surgery.  Long story short...RNYs are all different.  After many questions I found out I had a 2 oz pouch to begin with.  He used a large stoma hole punch rather than the little one.  Within a couple months my stoma was 2 cm.  (no I didn't cheat so I lost weight in spite of my surgery but the hunger was unbearable).  He bypassed between 70 and 100 cm so I have no malabsorption of calories or vitamins.  All my labs are normal (always have been).  No supplements needed.  Basically I ended up with a useless surgery for weight control.  Then I was in the Restore trial which was discontinued because it didn't work.  All in all I lost 14 lbs. by the end of the first year and now that is back too.  I am dieting weight off with tons of fruits and veggies, no simple carbohydrates and only healthy fats.  Yes I still drink my water and eat my protein but it doesn't help and it never has.  My surgeon told me 20 % of the surgeries fail.  Most people don't know the specifics of their surgery beforehand.  Maybe you had a minimal rny as well.  It is what it is so my suggestion is to count calories and lose it the old fashioned way.  I also had bursitis in my hip.  I saw a physical therapist and she gave me exercises that strengthen the hip.  I am able to walk without a limp now.  Perhaps that would help.  Most people in your position (and mine) get blasted by others on this web site and offered ridiculous advice (just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should...nothing tastes as good as thin feels, etc.).  Personally I didn't have a RNY to not feel any different than before surgery.  Then they leave OH and aren't heard from again.  Best of luck to you, Just me

boomsheeka01
on 5/18/11 1:10 am - Killeen, TX
Topic: RE: Remem
Hey there! Glad your back and doing well!  :)
   Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Emily F.
on 5/14/11 12:23 am
Kayla B.
on 5/13/11 11:56 pm - Austin, TX
Hey there Diana,

Emily alerted me to your post.  I have had extreme constipation issues for about 2 and a half years.  I am 3.5 years out from my DS and they began after losing all my weight.  I was diagnosed with colonic inertia following a colonoscopy last March.  I realize NOW that this is a misdiagnosis (in my case--not in yours), but I lived with the diagnosis for at least a year.  My sitz markers passed after 2-3 days, so definitely not colonic inertia.

I can tell you in all my research about it, I never came across anyone that regreted the decision to remove their colon.  If the motility in your rectum is adequate, you can get a subtotal colectomy, which will still preserve your ability to have a bowel movement normally.

I would urge you to get complete testing on the motility and muscle tone of your rectum and pelvic floor to make sure that you will get a good outcome from the subtotal colectomy.  The test to measure this is called an MRI defecogram and a radiologist will watch to see how well you are able to expel contrast medium from your rectum.  Yes, an awkward exam, but it was the exam that finally diagnosed me with pelvic floor prolapse and a rectocele and the results have been extremely helpful since having it done.

If you're not ready for such a drastic step, there are a few more things you can do, but based on the severity of your condition...I'm just not sure you're going to get enough of an improvement.  First, you can, of course, try the whole host of non-stimulant laxatives and pharmaceuticals that are around.  Misoprostol is a med I have taken (and still take) which is supposed to increase muscle contractions in the colon, especially in the left side.  Amitiza is the Rx strength laxative that some people like.  I apologize, I'm sure a lot of this is old news to you.  I bet you have tried many things.  You can also try biofeedback to see if you get an improvement.

Chronic constipation is no fun at all.  You will feel so much lighter and have more energy afterwards.  The stretch receptors in the colon are being activated and they can depress your appetite, and make you feel very sluggish.  Plus, having so many toxins in your body for such a length of time can increase your risk for developing colon cancer.

I would at the very least meet with a colorectal surgeon just to see what he says.  It's not a guarantee that you get forced into surgery, but it can at least give you some information to help you make your decision. 

Good luck, let me know if you'd like to chat at all.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Emily F.
on 5/13/11 11:17 pm
I sure enough remember you sweetie!!! I'm so glad you are back. I've wondered about you. Channel is on fb and the main board the most.

There is a girl on the ds board facing the same surgery. Would you like to talk to her? She had the same testing done. I'm sorry you are facing that.

stargazerdiana
on 5/5/11 12:06 pm, edited 12/18/14 4:01 am
jnet
on 5/3/11 9:35 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: RE: 1 year anniversary, 175 gone with pics
You look great, and congratulations on improving your health!

Weight at Consultation 284/Weight at surgery 270/ CW 168
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 866 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1196 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 974 views