May 20th surgery?

kysunshine
on 5/11/03 8:50 am - Raceland, KY
Hi, I had my open RNY last MAY 20th and I would like to hear from anyone else sharing the same re-birthday or one anytime in May. I'm doing great and like to chat with people who have gone thru this or is thinking of having bypass surgery. Thanks. Susy.
DEANN W.
on 5/11/03 3:19 pm - IL
I had open RNY on May 29, 2002. I can't believe how much better I feel. Plus how much better I look. I am thrilled to be able to go to the mall and be able to walk and shop without feeling like I'm dying. How have you done as far as weight-loss? I have lost about 120# and 95 1/2". Have gone from a 26/28 to a 14/16. Where are you from? Looking forward to hearing from you.
garw
on 5/16/03 5:32 pm - Aurora, CO
I had my surgery on May 14, 2002. I had a very difficult time post-op and was off work for 6 months. Fortunately for me, I have recovered reasonably well. I am not one of those people who can say that I would do it again, because I wouldn't. However, I'm ready now to say it was worth it. I'm also down 120 pounds and feeling better than I have in a VERY long time. I still have about 60 pounds more that I'd like to lose, but my loss has slowed down quite a bit. I lost a lot my first couple of months, then not much at all for quite a while. Then, once I got out of rehab and got back on my feet, I started losing again. Now I need to start getting some regular exercise and I'm having a tough time getting myself to do that. I get more small bits of exercise every day because I try to walk the stairs from my office to the floor where the cafeteria and ice machine at work are. I also walk up to the 3rd floor of the parking garage and I take short walks some days when I need to get up from my desk and take a break. Unfortunately, that's not enough, but by the time I'm done working and doing whatever errands I need to do on the way home, I've had it and getting out to do anything else just seems like something I can put off for 'some other time'.
miranda
on 6/22/03 10:56 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi Edna, My name is Miranda Cook in Indianapolis In. I had wls surgery may 20 2002.I have lost 150lbs. I have gone from a size 26 to a size 4. I never thought it would be possible. I would do it again tommorrow. Have a great day
blueyez2668
on 7/25/05 7:44 am - Orlando, FL
Miranda, I just had to tell you that you look wonderful!!! Congratulations on your successful surgery! Arlene
Tana R.
on 7/1/03 12:20 pm - Milwaukee, WI
I had my laproscopic RNY May 30 last year & I would do it over in a heartbeat. I was very fortunate & did not have any difficulty eating after surgery. As of my 1 year checkup I had lost 147 pounds. I went from a size 28 to a size 12 (or a size 10 if I suck everything in). I love my new life - I have tons of energy & am enjoying summer for the first time in years. I don't have to worry about the clothes I want to wear revealing too much fat or if I am going to sweat all over everyone. I love being outside & able to be active & participate in life. I live in Milwaukee, WI & it is a SUMMER town - not a thing to do here in the winter, but summer is jam packed with Great things to do every day & I am able to take advantage of all of them this year! I bought a bike in May & it was a major milestone event for me - I have been too fat to ride a bike for over 10 years. I love riding & go as often as I can - it is a blast!! I was doing really well with exercise, but have fallen off the wagon a bit over the past 2 months. I still manage at least 3 days a week & my weight loss has stalled as a direct result of less exercise. I believe that exercise was the single best thing I did to help keep everything going so well all year. I would encourage anyone to seriously consider this surgery - it really can be an amazing tool to help you change your health & your life!!
ChickpeaBree I.
on 7/27/03 8:57 pm - Oklahoma City, OK
I had Open RNY proximal, may 17th last year (2002) and have gone down from a very tight 26/28 top very very tight 26/28 bottom to a loose 12 top, tightish 12 on bottom. I have not regretted having this surgery one bit! I did have a problem with recurring strictures after 21 days out which required 3 hospitalizations and 4 endoscopies to fix. It's left me with a bit over large stoma opening so I never have problems with things getting stuck, which in some ways is a good thing, you know? I can do very minimal actual sugar things..very minimal on that..however corn syrup is still a huge enemy for me and makes me vomit. I was recently living in Australia on a remote island where everything food wise was shipped in, yes on a BOAT. So food was prohibitively expensive. Eggs $6.50, bread $3.50 for a sm loaf. I had to get creative with food..but subsisted on tuna, many varieties, peanuts, tofu, tempeh (a firm drier type of tofu), crackers, milk (boxed) in my tea/coffee. However, the dry season made me have a problem with dehydration in spite of tons of water drinking. Plus I have come back to the USA for about 6 mos before moving back to live with hubby. Do NOT want to raise my children on that island! I look malnourished right now. But actually I'm sure that I would have still lost down or not if we'd not moved there. I had to walk a LOT..up and down hills on that volcanic island that would rival San Francisco's steepest! So basically a very low fat, higher protein diet and tons of daily exercise in the form of aggressive walking as we had no car. Canned quail eggs (boiled) was something I would use to supplement as we couldn't afford to buy eggs to eat. Sounds weird but they wouldn't terribly bad..add to the tuna/mayo mix..hey it was okay.but the food became boring. The fish & chips we'd have a couple times a week was different than our fish here, the fish was very white and very firm almost like a tuna steak. Very yummy..but for some island where there is fish everywhere..again expensive! go figure!
Pam N.
on 8/2/03 1:36 am, edited 5/31/11 5:02 pm - Brookfield, WI
Hi - everyone - chiming in kinda late for May - I had a lap RNY 5/31/02 and have lost over 150 lbs. I want to lose another 50lbs or so.... so now must begin to pay very close attention to all I have learned. I am going to have a hernia repaired in combo with a 'tummy tuck' - I can't see calling something that big a tummy but...
Hope everyone is doing well.
Pam

9 years later - take a look at the picture I added... how well do you think I'm doing now? :) I am thrilled that I had this surgery.... I got my life back.

everything is new on this site now - and I have no idea how to update my profile... :(
gia P.
on 8/4/03 2:40 am - worcester, ma
hello my name is gia and i had open rny may 17th 2002 and have lost 205 pounds so far ..i started out weighing in over 350 pounds and im now down under 145...june 26th 2003 i had my tummy tuck done...they took 8 pounds of extra skin off my tummy...i am still swollen at this time but look 100 % better than before...i too would do this surgery all over in a heart beat..id like to loose 20 more pounds...im not sure if its possible but i will try try try..as soon as im all heald and the swelling goes down i will be back to the gym in full force...i went this morning and did 45 minutes on the treadmill...cant wait for the weights... maybe a few more weeks...if anyone has any questions feel free to email me...Gia
theresa B.
on 4/13/04 5:16 am - Oak Park, Il
I had my surgery May 9th 2002 and have lost 130 pounds and have gone from a 24 to a 6/8. about 3 months after my surgery I found out that i was expecting a baby...she Turned one yr old on March 29th. If I had it to do all over again I would do it again in a min. It has given me my quality of life back...Now I am not just breathing and taking up space..I am actually living and loving Life.
Most Active
Recent Topics
I had my surgery in 2003
lacrimablu · 0 replies · 538 views
Support
msbigbaybe · 1 replies · 640 views
An old friend
Tami M. · 0 replies · 711 views