One year out, need food intake info and encouragement...

Mary P.
on 10/7/04 1:09 am - Brainerd, MN
Hi, I had my WLS May 26, 2003. Started at 289 and am now at 170, my lowest was 158. My sizes have gone from a 4x/44 to large tops and size 8 jeans(I am very tall)! Never in my life have I been this size! It feels so good! I never want to be obsese again! My concern however, is that due to several major medical problems since my surgery, I stopped loosing weight 6 months ago and have gained back about 10 pounds . I go up and down with fluid retention due to medical issues. My blood sugars keep dropping into the 50 range with unpleasant physical symptoms. I can't seem to loose those last 20 pounds my internist would like to see me loose. I have gotten sloppy with my diet, and am hoping for some suggestions and encouragement to get back on track. Looking forward to hearing from others who are at least one year out. Is there hope for loosing more weight at this point?
Allee Z.
on 10/21/04 2:53 am - Eastern, IA
I'm within a couple days of you - as far as surgery dates. I need to drop ten more - have been hanging on to it like this for months! Like you - I'm up and down - probably water retention or whatever. Not sure what your major medical issues are - but perhaps when they are leveled out you will be able to go forward. If you are like me - you like to feel FULL and so the next thing I say will be "easier said than done" but perhaps with your blood sugar situation you need to concentrate on eating several small meals regularly placed in the day. Perhaps a piece of fruit mid day or whatever. Eating (here's the hard part) smaller meals - MORE OFTEN. Can I ask how tall you are? I'm curious - the size 8 thing intrigues me! *smile* I am 5'10" (weighing between 152 and 156) and wearing 10 and 12's (pants) and Medium/Large tops. Where do you find really TALL pants in a smaller size. I feel like I'm prepared for high water most all the time! *LOL* Please don't reply to my email - I forgot my password so can't retrieve it! Der!
Georgia_paul
on 11/21/04 2:22 am - HI
Hi Mary -- I too had my RNY 5/03/03. I did not lose all of my weight but I am within 20 lbs. of my desired weight. I have to fight the battle with eating properly too since all the "bad stuff" goes down too. Are you taking your vitamins like you should? I take 2 chewable Flintstone vitamins in the a.m. AND in the p.m. I think our body has a "set point" and, since we can never turn the clock back to when we weighed our best weight, our bodies somehow know to settle at a certain weight. My doctor told me I would be between 144-148 lbs. and I am exactly there fluctuating from time to time! Of course I am 55 and you may be much younger than me. Just keep n keeping on -- I know you should never ever eat and drink at the same time because that can enlarge your stoma. But yes I still fight the good fight for water and staying away from junk. We just have to be thankful we are much smaller and that we are fighting 20 lbs. now instead of more! I hope this gives you some encouragement but just know that you are in good company.
Most Active