HORRIBLE PAIN FOLLOW UP

Allee Z.
on 11/30/04 8:45 pm - Eastern, IA
I am thinking this pain has to be connected to my menstrual cycle in some fashion OR I'm going nuts. One of the two. I did contact my surgeon's office and we did all the tests - the upper GI, exrays, etc. Nothing appears to be wrong with the 'plumbing' of the surgery. However, the day that I went to the dr. I started 'spotting' - and with that 'spotting' it seemed the stomach problem, while still there and very real - subsided some. Then for a few days I had NO spotting or anything and the pain was there again. THEN finally a full fledged period started and the pain in my stomach went away. I seem to be seeing some type of pattern, I think - in that the week prior to my cycle I have this pain. I don't GET IT. ONE bite of food sends me into spasms of pain. ONE sip of water does the same. The pain wakes me up in the night even when I am NOT eating anything for HOURS. But it all seems to be 'gone' or diminishes greatly upon the appearance of the monthly 'visitor'. What the dr. said we should do - (his eyebrows raised high when I mentioned there could be a connection to the menstrual cycle) is that I need to record/document/DIARY (yuck) the pain and such for 3 months. If it does indeed appear that there is a connection, we'll pursue looking into the 'menopausal' thing. (I am going to be 50 in January.) He also said that in any type of surgery - WLS or any type that interferes with the bowel/intestine - there are THREE places that a kink can occur. When they do the RNY surgery they automatically secure two of the three places so they don't kink. However with the 3rd place, there is only a 6% chance of it kinking. There is more danger in them working with that 'potential kink' than if they take the 6% chance. What can happen, if I understood him correctly, is that in this area if they mess with that - it can interupt the blood supply to the 'tiny tummy' and make it die. NOT a good thing! So that is why they take the chance. He thought perhaps I have a periodic kink - and if that is what we determine, they CAN do a little lap surgery that would secure that as well. He said IF the pain came back - I should probably STOP eating while that is happening. (Makes good sense, but STOPPING FOOD is one of my big problems, right???? *smile*) That is what happened - I'm enjoying a couple weeks now of no pain and eating and drinking farely normally now.
Most Active