Calories & Protein ?????

Darlene G.
on 9/26/08 8:01 am - Springfield, MA
Hi everyone. just had a couple of questions.  I had lap rny on may 15, 2007, i have yet to get to my drs goal of 170. Been stuck back and forth for the last 3 months between 189 -192. I'm not on any calorie count as of yet, and the more i lose the less protein they give me. Right now i am only suppose to get in 52 grms of protein a day. Is this enough??? I feel it should be more, that is why i'm asking out to others who have had surgery in may of last year to where you are now? I know i'm stuck due to lack of exercise, but i do follow everything else. The exercise is because i'm going in for a total knee replacement on nov 20th, and i also have a tear in the tendon in my left rotator cuff, which is making exercise very difficult to do.  I'm in alot of pain theses days. Right now i'm finding myself craving the carbs, the bad ones.. I try to eat right but this is getting the best of me lately.  How do i break this old nasty habit, before it breaks me.... Please, any advice would sure be helpful at this time.   Thanks in advance... darlene
279/265.5 /214.5 / 150      heaviest/ surgery day/ current/ goal    
lv2beasahm
on 9/27/08 5:20 am - Pennsville, NJ
We're all different and our NUTs give us different guidelines.  My surgeon wants me to stick around 60 grams of protein each day.  I do get close most days.  Are you drinking enough fluids?  I understand the lack of exercise.  I had my right knee done in 1987 and my left knee in 1989.  That's when I really started the weight gain.  Adding the rotator cuff tear really will do a number on you.  I'd say walking but with the knee I don't blame you for staying away from that.  I'll have to think about exercises.  Is your orthopedic surgeon giving you anything for pain?  I find that when I feel crappy or depressed I want the carbs.  When I feel good I have an easy time staying away from them.  The best thing I can think of is don't buy those pesky carbs.  When I get my cravings I still head for my SF pudding or a SF/FF fudgesicle.  I never got tired of them.

I would ask the orthopedic surgeon what exercises you can do.  Keep both surgeons informed of what's going on.  All I can do is wish you the best on your knee surgery.  I had reconstructions.  Now I wish I'd had knee replacement.  My grandmother had knee replacement at age 80.  Man, she did GREAT!  I have a feeling once you get that new knee you'll want to walk and the pounds will fly off.

Good luck!

* Cyndi *

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anybody out there?
Mrs. SmartiePants · 0 replies · 574 views
5years!! Anyone there?
Donna W. · 4 replies · 1210 views
5 years out
juliathomas · 2 replies · 1184 views
It's been TOOO Long, HI GUYS!!!
Jamie S. · 2 replies · 955 views