Back Home!

curecatlady
on 5/20/09 9:45 pm - Somerville, MA
Had Lap RNY on Monday the 18th.  Couldn't believe how smoothly everything went.  Wasn't nervous and the hosptial staff were great.  Mostly was bored from all the waiting. The last thing I remember before going out was hearing In Between Days from The Cure (my favorite band) and then waking up wondering where the song was... realizing I was in recovery.  My adult son was there with me and said everything went smoothly.

Went into the OR at 3 PM and woke up in recovery at 6 PM.  Stayed in the recovery area for about 6 hours.  Was very groggy and not in too much pain.  Used the pain button mainly to help me sleep.  Got up to my room at midnight.

The next morning after some rest the work began.  Went down for the radiology to make sure there was no leakage and when that was confirmed, got the tube out from my nose and throat.  People had said the tube was painful, but I was surprised that it didn't really bother me that much and neither did the catheter.  The catheter was also removed shortly after the throat tube.  Took about 5 walks that day and started on my liquids.  The pain pump worked ok, used it mostly for going to sleep.  Found that the liquid tylenol worked the best for the pain.  Overal, the pain was not so bad.  Only really hurt when I tried to sit up or lie down.  No nausea from drinking the water or the shakes the next day.  The hospital staff did a great job with my IVs as they were not very painful either, and I've had pain from those in the past.

Finally was able to pass gas and have a bowel movement...So I was good to go home Wednesday afternoon.  I'm drinking my shakes and water without any trouble at all.  This is really a lot easier than I thought it would be.  I'm keeping myself somewhat sedated on the painkillers mainly to keep myself from moving around too much because I don't want to upset my incicisions.  Had a great night's sleep last night and woke up refreshed.  I hope everything continues to go so smoothly and that the weight starts to come off. 

As I read here in other posts, I did gain back the weight I lost from the 2 week pre-op.  So I hope that will be gone shortly and there will be permanent loss.

Good luck to everyone else here who is about to have surgery.  What a great journey we're all on!
tracyinnh
on 5/21/09 12:18 am - Alton, NH
Congratulations on your success! I'm so happy to hear good stories.

I can't wait to join the losers bench myself. Only 8 more days...
Tracy

EOD WIFE
on 5/21/09 12:58 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Glad everything went well, welcome to the losers bench!

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

iamfarfaraway
on 5/21/09 3:46 am - Charlotte, NC

Sounds like you did great, glad your home and comfortable I hope you continue to improve.

40 lbs lost pre-op

Strawberry2
on 5/21/09 9:07 am
glad everything went well - speedy recovery
Jo -319h/202l - 240h/237sd/218.5c/190goal
Arnold H. Glasgow

Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.

Kelly S.
on 5/22/09 9:23 pm
Here's to a speedy recovery and good weight loss! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1390 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1378 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1248 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1115 views