Finally reporting in (9 days out) - LONG

sheepla
on 5/29/09 10:41 am
I'm nine days out today and down 13 pounds (not including the 8 I gained in the hospital then lost the three days after coming home). 

I had my surgery the afternoon of May 20th and was able to go home the next evening (the 21st).  One of my big goals was only one night in the hospital, so that made me very happy.  I was quite surprised at how much pain I was in the first few days home.  The one large incision where the camera was inserted was VERY painful.  I have an extremely high pain tolerance so that was unexpected to me.  I did feel better daily and was off the pain meds by Sunday the 24th.   I had absolutely no gas pain and so far, knock on wood, no bowel movement issues.  I was on my treadmill walking in five minute intervals throughout the day by Saturday the 23rd.

My doctor, God bless him, let me go directly on pureed foods instead of a week of clear liquids.  I think I would be miserable if I'd had to stay on clear liquids.  I stuck primarily to clear liquids through Saturday but have been fine on pureed foods since then. I'm not getting nearly enough protein in as I can't seem to tolerate protein shakes, though I almost lived on them pre-op.  I've tried soy based shakes the last few days and that seems to be working better so I think I may be one of those people who is lactose intolerant (hopefully temporarily) after surgery. 

My biggest issue so far has been eating first thing in the mornings.  My pouch really does seem sensitive. I've been experimenting with having a cup of hot tea, waiting half an hour and then trying to eat and that is working better, though will be challenging when I go back to work on Monday.

Pre-op I went hiking at a local state park five days a week.  Tried my first post-op hike today and it almost completely wiped me out. Only made it  25 minutes with lots of rest breaks but it was a start.

Had my first restaurant experience today which caused a little anxiety.  Had a couple of bites of crab dip and the broth from french onion soup and all went well, so another hurdle crossed.

So far, other than the incision pain mentioned above, I've been surprised at how great I've felt....I really had braced myself to be miserable for a couple of weeks.  I'm improving daily with my liquids, though I'm still way down in getting in enough protein.  No problems tolerating pills or capsules.  I ate too much for dinner tonight (probably close to 3/4 cup of food rather than the prescribed 1/4 cup) and felt very nauseous for an hour afterwards, which I deserved!!

I actually haven't been weighing myself very much.....I can't explain it but it doesn't seem real when I step on the scale.  Thank goodness I have a good therapist for the months to come!

I'm going back to work on Monday which will be the next challenge. 

Sorry to go on for so long, but I always find it helpful to read everyone else's detailed reports!

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

EOD WIFE
on 5/29/09 11:34 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
congrats sounds like your doing very well.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

iamfarfaraway
on 5/29/09 11:20 pm - Charlotte, NC
Sounds like your doing great!  I wish you the best going back to work on Monday I am taking 4 weeks off and think I might go crazy with that much time off but we will see.

Best of Luck with your continued journey.

Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

aphrael
on 5/31/09 11:02 am
wow it sounds like you are doing great. 

I was only in the hospital one night and am grateful for that, I moved to purred foods at 6 days out.  I too am not tolerating milk, the soy milk is much better for my pouch. 

How are you going to handle going back to work and getting all your meals in?  I have one more week before I have to go back to work.  

Great for you to be getting so much exercise, I haven't' been so motivated, my treadmill is in the basement, and I am restriced on going up and down the stairs much and it has been raining.  You are very motivating keep us posted on your progress.
Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1392 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1381 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1253 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1119 views