Surgery on 26 May....just got out of hospital on May 31

Gloria P.
on 6/1/09 10:42 am - Ruther Glen, VA

Finally got out of the hospital, I was beginning to wonder if that was going to happen.  The day of surgery everything went smoothly, after recovery, I had to ask if I had had surgery because I wasn't feeling any pain...none....Oh my god but then on day 2 - I starting hurting, hurt to breathe, hurt to swallow, hurt to talk....etc. The Doctor seemed lost for a minute....Then I was doing pretty good on the liquids..nasty as they were I got most of it down....But, then came uncontrollable vomiting.....I was I swear I didn't drink that much....buckets after buckets....there was line of nurses from my bed to the bathroom, passing buckets....finally the meds kicked in and I could rest...oh but what havoc that caused....it felt like I was carrying a basketball in my left side.....they did an MRI of my chest and found I was bleeding in the old stomach...reason unknown...but it was filling I was vomiting it up....do then I had to endure another procedure to have a catheter put in to drain the blood....oh yes they knocked me out for that....ok so now we got that fixed...back to liquids....doing great....oh goodie maybe I can go home on day 4, oh no, now I can breathe hurt like hell to take a deep breath. The nurses failed to tell me about the little breathing thingy sitting on the night stand...and that I should have been using it hourly -- deep breathing...I was pissed. So I started that....and by then was able to get myself out of bed and start walking....I walked as often as I could...every time I got up for a potty run I would walk around the corridor. Dr. said the more active I was the quicker I would recover. So finally Sunday morning, Dr. said I think you can go home tomorrow….you will to keep doing the breathing techniques, walk often, take the Lovelox shots daily (for 10 days) and take all your vitamins and proteins….and of course water.

You know I have never been so happy to be back home….now comes to start of a whole new life. Proteins…that what the heck are those….lol

toninj
on 6/1/09 12:37 pm - piscataway, NJ
I am glad you are home and doing well.  I am sorry you had to endure that complication.  It sounded terrible!

Revision on 05/27/09

iamfarfaraway
on 6/2/09 12:40 am - Charlotte, NC
Sorry to hear you had some complications but sounds like your getting better now, being home is such a nice thing. 

Best of Luck on your new journey

Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

EOD WIFE
on 6/2/09 3:13 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Wow.... That does not sound like fun at all. Im glad that things are looking up.
Good luck & welcome to the losers bench.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

Avalon5
on 6/2/09 5:08 am
So glad you are on the mend. I also had my surgery on the 26th and was finally discharged on the afternoon of the 31st due to a complication. It was sooooo good to get back home!
Avalon5

Gloria P.
on 6/2/09 12:16 pm - Ruther Glen, VA
So what does your typical day of intake look like. I am curious if I am taking in enough calories so I will lose weight.

It is hard to get in anything the way I feel.

iamfarfaraway
on 6/2/09 12:25 pm - Charlotte, NC
I know you did not ask me, but I had surgery a day before you, I guess it depends on what stage your in I am now on FULL liguids and puree and I am eating/drinking about 450 to 550 calories a day Protein is 50 to 70 grams and I am really trying to get more than 48 oz of water usually it is not more than that.  I see the Surgeon on Thursday and I am sure he will tell me if I am on target or not..

Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

Avalon5
on 6/2/09 9:39 pm
Hi Educateme,

Right now, with the amount of swelling I had in my intestines from the surgery, I am simply doing the best I can and haven't been counting calories. My doc advised me to push fluids and worry less about actual liquid meals for the moment. I seem to be doing better with creamed soups with some protein powder than with protein shakes, so for example, yesterday I had:

About 6-8 ounces of water in the morning to take meds

2 ozs cream of potato soup ( strained and made with fat free milk) with unflavored protein powder added

More fluids throughout the morning, probably only totaling 10 oz or so

1 sugar free ice pop

2 oz Carnation sugar free vanilla instant breakfast....barely finished

Nap in the faternoon so limited fluid

3 ozs ( slowly) of cream of tomato soup, strained with protein powder.

About 8 more ozs of fluid.

As you can see, probably nowhere near enough, but the best I can do right now.

Just keep doing your best. Because of our complications, our bodies may need a bit more time to heal and adjust. I would rather take in too little than too much and make myself sick.

Good luck and keep me posted!
Avalon5

Gloria P.
on 6/3/09 2:02 am - Ruther Glen, VA
thank you so much for posting this....It has helped more than you know. Please stay in touch. thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1393 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1381 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1253 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1119 views