May 4th Surgery - Rny - any one else?

Magdagirl
on 5/1/11 10:30 am - VA
Hello !  I am scheduled for May 4th.  Anyone else scheduled for this day?  It would be great to share our stories.  I'm nervous, like probably everyone else.  Did not have to do liquid diet before surgery, although the nurse suggested it, but am eating lighter.  I have diabetes and need to lose about 100 lbs.  I am doing this to hopefully get rid of the diabetes and all of the other stinky things related to being overwweight.  I cannot wait till i can cross my legs again... in the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out okay.  Did  i say i was nervous    

Mary
Craig C.
on 5/1/11 11:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I am right there with you Madagirl.  My surgery is May 5th and I too am very nervous! But I keep reminding myself this is going to help me get to the healthier me. I did have to go on the pre-op diet. Dr wanted me to lose 20 lbs I have lost 26 lbs so far. Its kind of funny but I am sick of being hungry all the time from this pre op diet so I am kind of looking forward to the surgery. From what I understand you don't feel very hungry at first! So I have that to look forward to. But yes also very nervous.

Craig

Magdagirl
on 5/3/11 11:03 am - VA
Hi Craig, well you are right behind me surgery-wise - i will be at the hospital in 12 hours .  eek.
That is great that you lost 26 pounds, if i could do that I would be very happy.  Yes, from what I understand our first six months or so we should not be hungry or want to eat.  doesn't that sound too good to be true?  After just getting through this surgery what I am really the most worried about  is this dumping syndrome - it sounds awful and i know if it happens i will be at the wrong place - like work or something... I also hear we will experience buyers remorse right after the surgery. ... so i am preparing myself for that.  I too am looking forward to this because i know there is no other way for me and I am praying that my diabetes goes away or is well-reduced by this surgery. 

I will be thinking about you on Thursday.   Best of luck, and let's stay in touch.

Mary
Craig C.
on 5/3/11 11:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Best of luck to you today Mary! I too will be thinking about your safe and succcessful surgery! I wouldn't worry too much about dumping syndrom. As long as you dont put yourself in harms way by eating or drinking things with sugar and high fat contact, you shouldnt have dumping syndrome. Also not everyone gets it. Well best of luck to you and stay in touch.

Craig

Magdagirl
on 5/8/11 1:43 am - VA
Craig!  HELLO.  How are you?  i thought i would be able to use my iphone in the hospital but the icons to reply to you and others, well, they were just too tiny to use, plus all the meds.  I have been home since Friday and my family is taking good care of me.  Moving around, still sore and following the diet.  Tell me how you are,  

Mary   
Craig C.
on 5/12/11 8:05 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Mary

Just got home today. My surgery was a nightmare. There were several complications during my surgery due to scar tissue and how the previous surgeon removed my lap band.  He apparently just ripped it out which cause massive scar tissue that my surgeon had to remove.  needless to say my surgery which was supposed to be 2-3 hours ended up being almost 10 hours.  I also crashed in the recovery room when my  blood pressure dropped to 10 over 15 and no I am not missing a  1 in front of the numbers. Also had to be given 18 blood transfussions because I was bleeding internally. The good news is that after 7 days I am alive and well and finally recovering at home. Glad your surgery was such a success.

Craig

Magdagirl
on 5/15/11 1:15 am - VA
Hi Craig

I was stunned when I read your post .  That must have been awful and scary.   I am so glad you are okay and hopefully doing well.  18 blood transfusions and such low blood pressure, thank God you are okay.  Hope the rest is downhill for you.  How are you doing now?  being at home is so much better and i was only in the hospital two days, i can imagine how glad you are to be home after a week in the hospital. 

I got my stiches out on Friday and feel a lot better.  Still on pain meds at night.  Was supposed to go back to work on Wednesday but doctor and I thought it would be better to wait till Monday the 23rd instead - which is fine with me. 

Are you moving around yet?  do you have a lot of pain?  i hope not. 

Mary
Craig C.
on 5/15/11 1:28 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Mary

I am doing fine now. After getting out of the hospital on thursday I have been walking and getting my protein and drink in as much as possible. I still have both a feeding tube and blood drain still attached to my body but hope to have my doctor remove them on monday. I am probably looking at 5/26 to go back to work. Still in a bit of pain but the meds help. Once they stablized me in the hospital I started doing much better and I spent the last 4 days in the hospital on the regular bariatric wing. I was told to walk so I was walking at least 8-10 times a day just to get rid of the gas and speed healing. So now I am doing pretty well. I am glad you got your stitches out. My doctor is supposed to take mine out on monday as well. Yes it was a scary and horrible situation but I made it out alive and better then ever so I thank God every day for seeing me through this. Now I can get on with this new and exciting journey! Best of luck to you as well. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your Friend

Craig

Magdagirl
on 5/16/11 2:32 am - VA
Hi Craig!  hopefully since today is Monday you got your stiches and tubes out.  You walked a lot more than me - 8-10 times a day is fantastic.  Sounds like you are getting in really good shape.  I hated walking in the hospital and only did it a few times.  I'm able to walk about 15 minutes around my neighborhood and on Saturday I went food shopping with my teenage daughter - she did the pushing and lifting - it took about an hour and i was beat when it was done.  Thank goodness the rest of the family put the groceries away and i just took it easy the rest of the day!

Not looking forward to returning to work but i have another week to get my energy up.  I have never been so "lazy" before.  but i guess its better to rest and fully recover than to pu****  I work as an IT manager so there's not much physical work - mostly stressful  and a lot of meetings. 

After the stiches were out the nurse put on some steri-strip and i had to buy some Tagaderm (sp?) to put over it for a few days so it wouldn't get wet.  Now i can shower without it and wait for the steri-strip to wear off,  The scar looks a lot better without the stitches.  

How is your appetite?  Today i am forcing myself to drink a shake and haven't eaten anything even though its past noon and other times, when i am eating my pureed food with my family i am hungry and want more.  weird.... i guess seeing the old yummy stuff makes me hungry. 

Let me know how you did today at the doctor.  I accepted your friend request - hope i did it right.  i think its great that we can talk about our mutual experience as we move along this journey! 

Mary

jasmin G.
on 5/2/11 11:45 am - colonial heights, VA
I'm having my surgery May 9th. I'm just so excited and ready to start a new chapter in my life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Ugh!
peanutsmama · 0 replies · 902 views
ONEDERLAND !!
Fancy4684 · 1 replies · 1196 views