Band slipped need advice

ElaineTM
on 7/23/07 10:30 am - Concord, NC
Okay folks I need your advice and be honest... I had my LapBand surgery in June 2004 and initially was very sucessful. First my port slipped, needed suregry. Then had a hiatal hernia, needed surgery. The in Feb 06 I started having really bad reflux, but did not have insurance as I had just relocated from NY. So now I have insurance and found a new surgeon I really like. He had me do a barrium swallow and my band has slipped and slipped bad. Where my pouch should be is my stomach and my band is at the bottom. This has caused my esophgus to dilate pretty baddly casuing the relfux. Anyway I have three options and I have until next week to decide. I can have the band revised and put back into place, I can have it removed all together or I can do an RNY. Let me also say that even with all the problems I have had I still love my band and dont regret doing it one bit! Please help with this decision.... Oh and by the way he went to empty my band and my port has flipped again.
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/07 9:17 am
Hi Elaine! I had my RNY in June of 2004 and I LOVE IT!!! If I were you, I would switch to the RNY. Mainly because, I think ( and this is just my humble opinion) if I was to go from a lapband to nothing, I know I would certainly gain all my weight back. I never wanted the lapband at all, I never even considered it. I couldn't handle the thought of a foreign object inside my body. Besides, I wanted something more permanent.Kinda like, this is the gig you signed up for, so deal with it!! Just in case I had any complications... Now I know a lot of banders that are doing well, with no problems at all and they love their band. But for me, I liked the RNY. Mind you, I do have the dumping to deal with. But it keeps me on track and away from anything sweet or greasy. And no, I haven't had any MAJOR complications, just a little reactive hypoglycemia now and then and the dumping thing. But all in all, my life is awesome!! Would I go for the RNY again? In a hot second!! Good luck to you, with whatever you decide...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 416 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 898 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 780 views