Just wondering how many of us are left?

~*Ginger Locks*~
on 2/12/13 3:28 am - California, MD

I know I am guilty of not coming on the website for a long time and not posting anything.  I was trying to live life, then going through complications, then going through more complications and now, going through complications again.  I won't go into details if no one is out there but if any of my beloved JuneBugs are still around and want to to catch up - I'd love to hear from you.

Lucy M.
on 3/5/13 9:06 pm - Conway, SC

Hi Ginger. This is Lucy. I had my RNY on June 8, 2005.

First two years were great; then struggled a lot. Decided to have a band over bypass. Big mistake! I gained weight with the band. Every time I went out to a restaurant to eat I always had to go and throw up my food. I ate mostly soft foods. I had the band in 2008. I had gained about 110 pounds back from my lowest weight. I was so depressed and put on anti-depressant meds.

I had to come to terms with myself. I started to work out with a trainer and that helped. I made a decision to have a revision surgery - have the band removed and the RNY reversed. I had the DS procedure in late August 2010. I went to San Francisco for it and again it was a self-pay. I had Dr. Rabkin and he is the best.

I still struggle with carbs but at least I am about 50 pounds from my goal. I am happy with my choice of revision and wished I had the DS to start with. My life is still much better than when I initially had the RNY surgery. I am more active and enjoy the clothes I can wear and socializing with people.

WLS is definitely not an easy way out. My brain still needs adjusting to this new lifestyle. My old habits of many years still rears its ugly head.

Happy to hear from you!

Lucy

484.8/383.4/241/188/150 
                  Sexy 
Pre-op/RNY day/pre DS day/current/goal-  Realize Band 5/15/08; RNY 6/8/05, Removal Band and RNY to DS 8/25/10. RNY & Band surgeon was Dr. Guske.

conster326
on 6/11/13 11:27 pm - Branson, MO

First time I've checked in here in a while. I did great for about the first 2 years. But much of my weight has slowly crept back. I'm in a position where I'm once again without insurance, so not much I can do but the "old-fashioned" weight-loss tricks. Problem is that my knees are so bad I can'd do much in the way of exercise. So I really feel pretty stuck and defeated. 

bambif
on 6/17/13 3:05 am - Kansas City, MO

Hi, 

well it's been many years since I have been on OH. It seems like time and life just flies by.  I am back on, considering a revision if I can get insurance to cover it.

I lost 149 pounds 10 months out of surgery.  Got pregnant.  Still maintained my weight pretty well.  Only had an extra 10 pounds left from having the baby.  ( my children's father passed away a week before our dd was to turn a year old).    Then in 2008 I met my current husband.  He played alot of softball so we were at the ball fields alot, my eating habits weren't that good.  Then we had a baby together in 2010, I lost all but an extra 20 pounds of baby weight.  Then all of a sudden, here it is 2013, and I have gained 75 pounds.  So I went from 310ish to 164, back up to 240.  Last October I went to the surgeon.  They scoped and found out I had an enlarged stoma, hernia, and ulcer.  They never got back with me, my file was in storage, I called in Nov, and Dec.  Finally today I said I am calling again.  So I spoke with a lady, she said she'd be my case worker and I am hopefully going to get the ball rolling on a revision.  I need to get back under control.  I really haven't changed much of my eating habits, there are times when I feel like I can eat a lot, and other's where I can only eat a few bites.  I used to be faithful in my protein intake...that's the only thing that I have let slide, but I am getting back on track with protein too!  

I am sorry to hear about your complications.  I hope you can resolve these fast and easily!  

Sandra T. RN
on 3/30/14 4:27 am - TX

Surgery weight 250. Low about 2 years later 160. TT then wow I look good and slacked off. Been right at 200 for last 3 years. Trying to get the carbs off my back and back on track. Still one of the better things I've ever done for myself. 

debk_827
on 6/28/14 4:49 am

Aloha! I am new to this forum but looking forward to connecting with others who have had Lap Band like myself in order to learn more about what my next steps should be for me. I did my LB in June 2005 weighing in at 315 lbs. I lost a total of 120 lbs. with 195 being my lowest weight. (I think I only did two fills total) I had not been under 200 lbs since college (I am 52 now).

In June 2010 I had a total knee replacement done. During my long rehab & long recovery I gained about 20-25 lbs. I did intense PT for 5 months. One year later I was hiking 10+ a day at Glacier Nat'l Park! Since 2009 I began working a stressful desk job; I continued to exercise 3-4 times a week, but as menopause came on my weight keeps creeping up. 

I am now at 245 lbs and want to get my weight back down to under 200 lbs. I have quit my stressful job, am exercising more 4-6 times per week, eating better as I have more time to cook healthy meals. My surgeon has left Hawaii so I can't consult with him and I am taking a PPI for pretty bad acid reflux. In doing some research it appears my reflux may be worse now as I am having coughing fits at night and fluid sometimes coming out of my nose at night (which is related to the AR). 

I am considering two options: going to my primary care doc to get to GI ans/or ENT doc to look into the acid reflux AND also asking for a referral to another bariatric surgeon. I want to get my band checked out to make sure there's no slippage, hernias, scar tissue etc. and then consider a partial fill (I could never tolerate a total fill), to drop this 50 lbs. I'd then like to consider removing the LB altogether as I have concerns about it neing in my body another 10 years. I know part of my recent weight gain is related to menopause, so I feel confident that once I can drop what I've gained I can maintain my weight. My husband has to watch his weight too, is very supportive and we enjoy cooking and eating healthy and being active together.

Lastly, I have an adult disabled son that is 24 yrs old. We are his legal guardians though he is working and living independently, bottom line is I need to be around as long as I can for him. 

Any suggeations, input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Debbie K 

sp1209
on 6/28/14 5:56 am - AL

I did very good and got down to 135 and maintained for several years. Then added little by little. Got up to 166 but am back working hard on it now. This morning 156.5. Would really be very happy to get to 145 and maintain. Carbs are the biggest enemy!!! 

I really miss seeing all the familiar names that used to be a big part of Obesity Help. I understand life happens but wish some would check in. I know I stayed away too long!!

hope everyone is doing good!

honeejr
on 8/4/14 6:17 am

Well Ms,. Ginger6ks!  Hello. I too don't come on here much.  I do stop by to see just like you who is posting. I am still a 6..I'm having gallbladder issues and combatting that by changing my diet to completely fruits and veggies. It has helped. Funny I went to the doctor for a check up and I was 167 on my paperwork it said I was Obese...I said if he only knew where I came from 296...and kept it off for 9 yrs.  I'm proud of myself. 

conster326
on 8/27/14 2:33 am - Branson, MO

Haven't been back in a while. Have been working seriously on my weight the last 4 months ans have lost almost 45 pounds since May 6! Feeling much better -- and much more positive about the probability of actually getting to my goal this time and never looking back!

Jules78
on 8/27/14 3:17 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Awesome job on losing 45 pounds!!

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Most Active
Recent Topics