Anyone having problems with Anemia?

heathermp
on 6/24/08 3:24 am - Waunakee, WI
I've been having a lot of symptoms from being Anemic, and iron pills don't seem to be helping... doctor doesn't want to try anything different... any one have any ideas?
CyndiU
on 7/7/08 7:33 am - Hartford, SD
I'm not sure...but am having some problems with my tummy (I think). My tummy starts hurting if it is empty; but then after I eat it hurts too. I might be eating the wrong things - but I've tried all different things. I have noticed some signs of anemia; but haven't been into my doc. He didn't say anything about a two year check up - do most of WLs do yearly check ups? Just wondering if I should check with him.
W. Wait
on 7/16/08 3:55 am
I was really really low in Iron I was put on a prescri Iron but then I had a change of Insurance and the new insurance wouldnt pay. My OBYGN who has had the surgery also recommended Prenatal Vitamins which have extra Iron. If I were you I'd ask about getting put on prenatal vitamins. They have improved my iron count and all other counts and put a end to the amount of vitamins/pills I have to take a day.
MacArthurBug
on 7/31/08 12:55 am - KY
I don't really know what iron you're on. I take an easily absorbed iron, along with a chewable pre-natal vit. IT seems like I'm putting too much iron in my body, but due to malabsorption my iron levels are just barely where they should be. This is STILL preferable, to me anyway, then liquid vits and liquid iron. As long as my labs are normal I'm happy. I'm wondering why your doc isn't willing to try anything else- the loss of iron can result in loss of muscle tissue, or a weakening of the heart.
Kim C.
on 8/17/08 5:55 pm - London, Canada
Welcome to my world! I have been battling anemia for some time now. I am on daily 2ml Dexiron injections. I have now gotten to the point that i do them myself. This is not my permanent answer, we are researching other ways of managing it. contact me if you would like. Kim
Traci L.
on 2/22/09 5:45 am - Henderson, NY
Hi there.   I actually got an ulcer last Christmas ('07) from taking motrin on the advice of my cardiologist... even though I told him I wasn't supposed to take it.  Anyway, I ended up getting 3 units of blood transfused and spending about 5 days in the hospital.  I had been so ridiculously tired and run down, I finally got a blood test this past December and found I was severely anemic.  My PCP told me to go on almost 1000 mg of iron a day (one tablet 3 times a day) and after 6 weeks, my numbers were back up where they're supposed to be and I feel tons better.  I wish you luck.  If your doc won't help you, seek help elsewhere!
Traci
Lori .
on 5/24/09 1:26 pm - Shuswaps, Canada
It's been a while since I posted, but thought I would weigh in on this.  I too have been severely anemic, most due to a recent development of fibroids.  So while I wait for a hysterectomy, I am on a daily dose of oral iron and biweekly injections.  I have less hair now than I did at that 3-7 month post op stage.  I definitely feel the fatigue.  

Your iron should not normally be that low if you are taking oral iron, or a good multivitamin, and eating heme sources of iron.  Often there is something else that contributes to really low levels, as in my case and Tracy's case.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Lori
Bartlettcowgirl
on 8/15/10 6:13 am - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
Hello from TX,
I had my wls just over 4 yrs ago and have lost over 150 lbs from my previous wls weight of 278 lbs.  Although my iron levels are within the normal range, my labs show that I'm in the below normal range for white and red blood cell count.  My wls surgeon doesn't seem too concerned as long as my cell counts are "stable".  I had to have a bone marrow biopsy to rule out leukemia or some blood disease...fortunately, it was normal.  Most of the time I feel fine and have maintained my weight within 7 lbs of my goal weight.
I think that perhaps if I ate more protein, my blood count would be higher.  But it seems as though I have a hard time digesting most meat and I get nauseaus eating eggs.  So I fix a yummy snack of a tortilla with low fat cream cheese, deli-thin sliced ham and deli-thin sliced cheese. I cut it up in 1/2 " slices and pop one in my mouth every now and then.  I also eat a lot of fruit in the summer time, but have to be careful since it raise my blood sugar levels (I used to be diabetic Type II). 
I've tried the powdered protein powders in the past, but grew tired of the "taste".  I suppose I could try a different flavor with some fruit to disguise the taste though.
Have a good, active life, Jan from TX

Warm Hugs, Janet 
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 614 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 700 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 785 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 648 views