Alcohol Consumption and WLS

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 2:20 am - Plano, TX

I posted this in a couple of other message boards, but thought I should post it here.  Please read!

There are many articles out there about alcohol consumption and WLS.  Doctors are warning people to limit alcohol intake because we don't metabolize it like a normal person.  5 oz of wine put you over the legal limit.

Now I'm going to speak from experience and I hope you listen.  Don't just limit your alcohol intake.  DON'T DRINK AT ALL!!!  One of the things that can happen is "addiction transfer."  This is where you used to be addicted to food, but now you've replaced it with the next best comfort, which is alcohol.  I've been married for 27 years.  I have four grown children.  My husband is the most wonderful man that ever lived and I was looking forward to spending the rest of our lives as empty-nesters.  Last Saturday he told me to leave after a major drunk binge the night before.  He'd had it and was done with me.  I am living alone now and my husband is hurt and wants a divorce.  After watching me get drunk every weekend for the past two years, he finally said enough.  I am praying that we can work it out and he doesn't divorce me.  But right now he only wants to be friends.  I am 46 years old and never had a drinking problem before.  I don't crave it, but once I start, I can't stop and I get black-out drunk.  It has cost me my beautiful home and my family.  My kids won't speak to me, and my husband is gone!  It's not worth it!

Please say a prayer for me and don't EVER drink again!

Traci L.
on 2/22/09 5:38 am - Henderson, NY
Good advice, Becky.  I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I, too, was into drinking for a while... transferred addiction... but get sick just thinking about it now.  I'll be praying for you. Divorce would be such a shame... it sounds like you love him very much.  I hope your kids come around, too.  WLS certainly doesn't make our emotional lives any easier, does it? 
Best wishes,
Traci
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 years!
Jennifer K. · 1 replies · 614 views
Thinking of revision
Elana P. · 1 replies · 699 views
8 Years today
Frank D. · 1 replies · 785 views
8 years!
Jennifer K. · 2 replies · 648 views