June 3rd Surgery - Update - Let me introduce myself

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/09 1:13 am
Hi - My name is Mary and I am from Massachusetts.

I started out at 243 and lost a lot fast (37 pounds to date) - I am thrilled with that BUT I am in a stall.  I haven't lost anything I would say in almost 2 weeks.

I had RNY.  I can eat whatever I want without the dumping syndrome.  I don'****ch what I eat, but anything "bad" I can eat, I have just a bite of.  I feel guilty that is the reason I haven't lost.  I dont' over eat anymore and that is the main thing I love about having a small pouch.

I hope this isn't it.  I hope I will still lose, it hasn't even been 2 months.  I was watching BTV (Bariatric TV) and in an episode on their they joked that they could eat oreos every day for a year and still lose weight - they said that the body goes thru Ketosis which makes it so for the 1st year - we lose weight pretty much no matter what.

Is there anyone else that has free reign to eat what they want but choose to be careful?
sharonallen
on 7/27/09 4:44 am - Grand Prairie
Hi Mary...i know EXACTLY where you're coming from!! For the last 3 weeks i havent lost any weight. I've upped my exercise to 2 hours a day, i eat all my protein and drink all my water plus take all my vitamins...It is so discouraging seeing the scale not move and i think everyday that i'm going to fail...i went into a health food store today and was very tempted to get diet pills or something but then thought that i need to give this a chance. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow...maybe we might step on the scales and it might just move!

Good luck!

Sharon

annkate77
on 7/27/09 11:50 am
Hi!
I had surgery June 4th, and have lost a total of 60#s, 48# of which was from after surgery.  I am slowly learning that I can have bites of stuff that I shouldn't.  I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 3 years old, so it is really hard for me to not have a well rounded meal, even if it is all healthy.  I love the veggies, especially the summer ones that are here now.  But I think that I have lost so much weight because I had so many complications post surgery.  I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks after my RNY, and was hospitalized 2 more times after that for dehydration and monitoring.  I drink at least 100 ounces of fluid everyday.  Activity has been slow because of all of this, and today was the first time I went to the gym.  It wiped me out!  
You may not have had the complications as I have, but there is no way I am going through all of this and not going to do everything I can to make it successful.  And I think it is fine to have a bite of bad occassionally.  But if it is causing you to maybe not lose weight, then you might want to rethink how badly you want those bites.  And it is really hard, because I have a husband and parents and others and our life revolved around food.  We socialized, drank, hung out, and ate!  But just keep thinking, why did you start this journey??  Was it just to have a year of easy weight loss?? Because if what BTV said is true, after that year is up, you will still have the same eating habits, and your body will start to put that wieght back on.  I know that none of us wants to go through this surgery, and to have it eventually fail.  So you know what you need to do, and I know you can do it!  I can do it, and I am a weak weak person!  I can honestly say that I have never tried smoking or drugs because I know I am weak and I have an addictive personality.  
I am still losing, and I am waiting for the day when my stall or plateau comes.  Not looking forward to it, but I know it will come.  So good luck.  Sorry for the rant!!
ann
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/09 11:53 am
Hi, THANK YOU!!! You put a lot in perspective for me.  60 pounds - that is so awesome - i did get on the scale - i lost another 4 so thats 43 pounds...I need to drink more water and get back to the basics...thank you - so much :)
NewDayDawning
on 7/29/09 4:26 am

I am 6 weeks out and have lost around 30 pounds.   I'm doing everything they tell me to do.. NO deviations.. no bites of anything that isn't fuel for my body.

I've stalled the last few weeks too.. but I know they say that this is normal and can happen.

It only gets discouraging when I read about someone that has dropped twice as much in the same period of time as me.. that is really hard to swallow ( pardon the pun)

Some days I am better off staying off the boards, or I get discouraged...  Sad, but true..

Stephanie

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

annkate77
on 7/29/09 11:48 pm
And please keep in consideration, I have been hospitalized 3 more times since my RNY.  I was in the hospital for 2 weeks-just 2 weeks after my RNY-to have my gallbladder removed.  It has been a nasty ride for me this summer, and I wouldn't wi**** on anyone.  But I think that scientifically, it explains my weight loss.  there were weeks where I didn't eat anything.  So please don't get discouraged.  30 pounds in 6 weeks is awesome.  You kick some booty!
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 4:29 am
I guess this where it shows "we are all just different"
jvogt
on 8/31/09 12:22 pm - Hartland, WI
I had a major stall during that time also. However, my measurements went down, and I went to a smaller size of clothes even though that darn scale wasn't moving. It isn't all abou the number

Jod
RNY 6/22/09
Arriving at one goal, is a starting point to another

sheilapowershill
on 12/31/09 12:09 am
My journey has been riddled with stalls.  And no...I don't feel like I have free reign to eat anything.  I have dumped 2 times and it was awful.  One time was over a piece of cookie cake and one time was because a drink that was supposed to be sugar free and wasn't.  Until this sugar had not bothered me.  Don't get comfortable because you can have sugar now because the next time it may cause trouble.  Oh, I've lost 100 pounds since June...even with the stalls.  Yeah!

Most Active