can't keep dinner down and don't feel like I'm losing any weight??

BonnieCM
on 7/29/09 12:28 pm - IL
Hello all:
I had sugery on June 26, so a little over a month out.  I have a few questions that I would love some help with.

I am now on week 5, so the soft food phase and I still am having a hard time keeping down my dinner.  I can eat breakfast and lunch but when it comes to dinner it either takes me over two hours to eat or I eat a small amount and it still seems to come back up......

Also, I feel that no matter how much I walk and work out I'm not losing much weight.  I am working on walking at least 1 mile to 1 1/2 miles every other day along with walking down 15 flights of stairs just to take one more step.  As for what I am eating - low sugar low cal.  I keep a journal of calories and protein and I am lucky it I am able to get 800 calories a day it is usually around 500 calories.  I am working really hard to get the 60g of protein per day, I take protein drinks in order to get most of it. 

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to start shedding the pounds?

Thanks in advance- I look forward to hearing from you all!

Bonnie
starting/current/goal
 319.50 / 280 / 140

agrace
on 8/1/09 12:19 pm - TX

Hi Bonnie,
I don't know what your doc has advised on meals, but  mine has said that if you aren't hungry, don't eat. At 5 weeks I varied between 500-800 calories per day and my doc said that it was just right, protein first of course. I usually eat 2 meals per day. Eggs have been good for me and also cheese. I can't stand shakes so for me, those have been out.

My nutritionist says that early on, just get as much protein as you can, maybe 60 right now is too high? I just looked back at my food journal and at 5 weeks I was eating between 40-60g of protein and my docs were happy about that, but I had started solid food by then.  Ofcourse follow your docs orders.

Have you started working out. I have found that moving more gets things going. Even a daily walk helps a lot.

Seriously, most of all stay positive and follow the guidelines. You can do this!

:) Ana

HOLLI00
on 8/5/09 1:56 pm - ALTUS, OK
Weeks 3-5 or 6 were really bad weeks for me. It's like my body went into shock and not only did I stop losing, I gained about five pounds back. I thought that I was going to be that one person surgery didn't work for. Then this week I bounced back with an almost 10 lb weight loss.  I think our bodies just need time to adjust, and that might be where you are at.
Holli Tamale
236.8/135/150

*RNY surgery done June 17th, 2009        
BonnieCM
on 8/6/09 9:19 am - IL
Hi Ana and Holli,
First thank you for taking the time to respond, it means a lot to me that someone cares.  Also, thank you both for your advice.  Ana, I know what you mean about those shakes- they are aweful and I can't handle them either.  I am still having a ruff time keeping my dinner down.  I'm still only eating about a half cup at max.  I am working out, I walk as much as possible.  I try and get at least a mile in a day or everyother day.  I have been working really hard on watching what I eat trying to make sure it is nutrional and needed for my counts of protein.  I still can't get a full 60g everyday unless I drink a whey protein drink that contain either 24 or 42g.  Holli, I've also talked with a few people that said the same thing- body being in shock.  I think you might be right- it is just so agrivating because I have been doing everything I can and not losing anything.  Thanks again for your support, I am working to keep my head up and weight off.

Thank again!!!
Bonnie

HOLLI00
on 8/6/09 12:13 pm - ALTUS, OK
I hear you guys on the protein drinks! I actually dumped my protein drinks everytime I tried to have one up until about a week and a half ago.  I have a major gag reflex, and I'm pretty picky, but I tried the hot choclate protein drink and LOVED IT! It also has really helped with my nausea, the warmth of the drink totally relaxes my stomach I think.  Ever since I've discovered the hot chocolate I've had two a day (one for breakfast and one at night a few hours after dinner). I think the protein has helped a lot with my huge weight loss this week. I have tried every other flavor protein drink and threw them all back up, but this one was a keeper!
Holli Tamale
236.8/135/150

BonnieCM
on 8/11/09 12:30 am - IL
Hey Holli!
Where is that drink from?  I would love to find something like that.  I can't even do the boost or ensure- they all make me sick!  So the hot choc. taste good too?  not chauky or pastey??

thansk!
Bonnie
HOLLI00
on 8/24/09 7:16 am - ALTUS, OK
Here is a link to the hot chocolate I buy. This company is really fast, and the more you buy, the bigger the discount. I bought two boxes first to make sure I liked it and I just bought 12 boxes a few weeks ago. They do not taste chalky at all...or protein-y! If I taste the protein at all in any drink I gag really bad. These are also a great chocolate "fix".

http://www.dietdirect.com/bari-wise-health-hot-chocolate.htm l
Holli Tamale
236.8/135/150

Most Active