11 months out: Is it possible to lose another 30 lbs in 3 months?

kangasuz
on 5/13/10 2:48 pm, edited 5/13/10 2:53 pm - Sanford, FL

My RNY surgery was June 17, 2009. I can't believe it's already been 11 months! I've lost 112 lb (start weight: 310; current 198), but am anxious to lose another 30 or 40... As I am currently living in South Korea, I do not have contact with my surgeon, so I was hoping some of you might be able to tell me:

Do you think it's still possible to lose another 30-40lbs in the next 3-4 months? I've heard that WLS patients generally stop losing weight at one year and this has me very nervous!!!!

Here's the thing:

From June-February (8 mths), I was not the "ideal" or "model" WLS patient... I didn't exercise (I know, I know!!!)  and after five months or so, my eating habits weren't so great...

I arrived in Korea at the end of February and my eating habits have changed again... More protein (for the most part) but LOTS of rice (fortunately, I cna't eat much of it because of stomach size!!!_ ... Finally found chicken breast I can grill up which is cool, but my veggies intake is quite low :(

Additionally, I'll admit I've taken comfort in some comfort foods lately.. white potatoes... a Snickers bar here and there... 

So, I KNOW there are some things I can do to help myself.... but my question remains....
Do you think it's possible to lose another 30-40lbs?

Thanks!!!

PS: Are any of you already looking into plastic surgery? I'm pretty much ok with everything except for my arms and breasts... I think I might look into getting an arm lift (not anytime soon, in the hopes of still losing weight), but am afraid of doing anything with my breasts because of horror stories I've heard from people who have had breast implants (I don't want implants, but I'm afraid of the same complications..)

Thanks again :)

PS : I'll post a few pics soon!

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/10 11:34 am

Hi!
I had surgery June 11/09 and like you, want to get that final 30 off for goal! I'm finding myself doing pretty good with 4-5lbs a month. I have not worked out since I moved (back in December) and I feel it, but can't afford the gym membership yet due to job loss and talk walks when I feel like it, but I'd be more inclined to go to a gym than for a walk. The nicer weather has brought on a few walks as well. I have found my comfort foods, I know I'm not an easy dumper, but sugars do make me feel slightly yucky and tired. I just try and keep them under 6grams for a meal. Carbs are my enemy, but I'm doing OK at not over endulging. My carbs usually stay under 80 per day and I eat about 900 Cals. Fat makes me feel worse than sugar, it usually stays pretty low. I eat a lot of chicken, and must be honest when I say I don't track protien often, unless on a random day I put it in my tracker to find out. I HATE protien drinks and never had them other than a few sips while trying to get them in on liquids.

I have a goal of being 130 by my Birthday, September 6th. I have a permanent job so hopefully by July I can join a gym once I get other bills caught up. I weigh 158 currently and am 5'2. 28 lbs in 4 months is going to be a feat but I'm going to try and not get down on myself if I fail. If I am finding it really hard to get the lbs down faster, I'll change it to November or something.

I pretty much stay the same weight all month, boucing up and down 2lbs, then a week after Aunt Flo, I loose 3-5 lbs in a few days. Water retention maybe but it seems to be the way it works.

I plan on have a Panni, but not for years as I don't want to do it before I have kids (I'm only 21) The boobs are saggy, so maybe I'll do a double whammy but not implants, just a  fix. I'm still sitting at a large D, without the skin I'll probably be a C.

So long story short, I think its do-able! I'm going to try and so should you! :) I find once I do a week of workouts that I never want to go to, I realize how much I can do now and love it! I went for a 3km walk around a large park here the other day and didn't get out of breathe, or have hip pain and wasn't slowing my fiance down.. only a little cause of my short legs! lol I used to blame my slow walking on that before, but we all know the real answer, now I can walk faster, but I still have the shorties!

Good luck! Try filling up on the meat and if you think you have room left for a few tsp on rice a few times a week, go for it. Can't deprive yourself, we all know what that was like on our diets before.. They never worked did they?!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/15 4:22 am - OH

I think it is definitely possible to lose an additional 30 pounds but it is unlikely to happen in just three months at almost a year out.  As you get smaller, your caloric deficit decreases and the weight loss slows, and your body has been gradually overcoming the caloric malabsorption, so you are absorbing more of the calories you eat.  

You don't stop losing weight after a year out, but it slows significantly, and since you lost 112 pounds in 11 months (about 10 pounds a month) during the period of most rapid weight loss, you are very unlikely to continue losing at that rate at a year out.  (How much have you lost in the last 4 weeks?  How much during the month before that? THAT rate of loss, or a bit less, is what is most realistic.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KiaSunRay
on 5/28/10 12:00 pm - Washington, DC
I'm also 11 months out and I think your goal is attainable!  You'll have to stay focused and "eat clean" if you really want to make this happen.

My surgery date was 6/16/09 and I'm down 181lbs.  I have another 74lbs to go.  That's my personal goal, btw, not the surgeon's.  He'd just be happy for me to get under 200lbs.  But this isn't about him LOL.  Although you may not want to or like to, you'll need to exercise.  If it's a dreadful chore for you, start small and work your way up.   Check out the forums on fitness for ideas.

I'm casually looking into plastic surgery.  My surgeon said I'll definitely continue to lose for another 6 mo, possibly a year.  I met a plastic surgeon earlier this year and viewed his work, which was pretty impressive.  I also received info from the doc's office yesterday.  He comes recommened by my doc, so I'll give him a call probably in the fall.  This plastic surgeon's office is supposed to be well experienced working with insurance companies so I hope he can help me get my procedure covered.  If not, I certainly can't afford it.  I want a tummy tuck and a breast lift, and maybe get my arms done too.  If insurance will cover most, I'll go for the full body lift.  I've come this far, why not?

Good luck to you!
Most Active